The problem with DVR's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tdogg72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
I am fairly new to DVR technology. I was set up with Dish TV and a DVR 522 a few weeks ago. It is just me and my wife in my household. We soon found that it was a big problem when recording to the DVR. I had TV1 going to the master bed room TV and TV2 going to the family room TV. The TV in the family room is used the most, so I set TV1 to be the default for recording shows. The problem is, my wife often wants to use the master bed room TV, and cannot use it because it is recording something. Or maybe both of us want to watch Live TV seperately.... we cant because it is recording something. This proved to be too much of a pain, so we decided we needed a 4 room/tuner setup so we could record to those extra tuners and not have to worry about not being able to watch live tv(WITH pause/replay capability) from either of the main TV's. Well we soon learned that that would not work because Dish wont let us use (2) DVR 522's. I had a 322 added last week, but that hasnt really eliminated the problem because you cant record to the 322 tuners. And of course if you watch from the 322 tuners, you cant pause live tv.

Anyways, I just was wandering what people thought about this problem. Or knew of any ways to get around it (that isnt expensive).
Why cant Dish make a 4 tuner DVR? or NOT limit new DHA customers to only 1 DVR 522.

If you want to know how I have things configured right now. Check out the diagrams in my sig. (I suggest the simple diagram, because it is easier to understand)

Some customers HAVE been able to get a second 522 activated on their account. It is also possible to get a pair of 510's.

Why the idiots at E* do what they do is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Pair of 510s as well as the 522 here... at the moment... i had a 721 for other purposes at one time.

So youve got the 2 room setup... thats great... get E* to give you a 510 and put it in the bedroom... put the 522 out at the licving room tv... set it in single mode and hook the coax that used to go to tv2 into tv1 output.

What this gives you... the ability to record one thing while watching anotehr live at the 522 location.

the ability to watch and pause live tv in the bedroom (510)

and with the nice external antenna in on the 510 you can switch to watching what is coming out of the 522 if youall want to watch what was recorded on the 522 in the bedroom.

get 508 or 501 off ebay, they don't have dvr charge. dish would charge u lot of money for 510 upgrade now that u r existing customer. (u might have to pay retail price+labor to install )

dulzen said:
get 508 or 501 off ebay, they don't have dvr charge. dish would charge u lot of money for 510 upgrade now that u r existing customer. (u might have to pay retail price+labor to install )

Please do us a favor.......spell out ALL the words. We aren't 13 here :)

We have two Directv TiVos each has two tuners and only 1 DVR fee of $4.99/Mo. for me it is a much better solution than DISH 522 would have been. With Directv's promotion I could own the equipment for the cost of DISH'S lease.

boba said:
We have two Directv TiVos each has two tuners and only 1 DVR fee of $4.99/Mo. for me it is a much better solution than DISH 522 would have been. With Directv's promotion I could own the equipment for the cost of DISH'S lease.

Same here, I had looked at switching to DISH, but when I priced it out a comparable system on their website, they had almost $15 charge for DVR on to TV's;
Monthly Equipment Fees
DVR FEE $4.98
DVR FEE $4.98
Digital Home Advantage (2 Receiver) $5.00

I'd keep the 522, and get a 501/508, and mirror the line to the second tv. What are the odds that all 3 tuners would be recording?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts