The return of TiVo to DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Really? You can scan for ALL your OTA, even the ones D* doesn't see fit to give you? You have REAL DLB, not some pseudo record both, switch back and forth bull? Cool. One day I might have to see about coming back to D*.

Oh, and I CHALLENGE you to pause your current channel on screen, switch the channel WITHOUT HITTING RECORD, and see if it doesn't lose the pause point on the channel you came from. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't.

And I'll eat mine if you can pause your Tivo for more than 60 minutes and not lose your place...

DLB's are nice, but so is a 90 minute buffer.

I know you didn't accuse me of this, but I compare MY experiences with both DVR's, not the general experience. Yes, I admit, the TIVO was slower. But it WORKED, all the time. Until I had to get rid of it due to a hard drive issue. I had no knowledge of how to replace it.

Just tonight, my great, stable, HR20, with VOD enabled but no ethernet hooked to it because they asked us to do it that way, totally mucked up a recording, the recording started okay alright, but then the video stopped and the audio kept going....my TIVO NEVER did that.

I haven't had it a year yet, and I am already sick of it. A new TIVO, based on existing proven technology, cannot possibly be this bad.

And D* is interested in selling me VOD? Please. I want a stable box FIRST. Stevie Wonder can see they do NOT intend on doing that. :(

Um, doesn't the fact that you're running VOD indicate that you're on a CE release?

I'm not sure it's really fair to complain about stability if that's the case...

Um, doesn't the fact that you're running VOD indicate that you're on a CE release?

I'm not sure it's really fair to complain about stability if that's the case...

It was a complete disaster for me in December 2006 when I got it because it didn't do ANYTHING as well as my TIVO did, the CE releases it got a bit better, but I was expecting TIVO like functionality and interface. The interface for the HR20/R15 looks like a 4 year old designed it. And its just as confusing to me. Earl asked us to leave the VOD software in there even if we had no intention of ever using it, so I did.

Hey, if you like it, more power to ya. I think its a POS of the highest order, next to my old TIVO. Different strokes and all that. :)

It was a complete disaster for me in December 2006 when I got it because it didn't do ANYTHING as well as my TIVO did, the CE releases it got a bit better, but I was expecting TIVO like functionality and interface. The interface for the HR20/R15 looks like a 4 year old designed it. And its just as confusing to me. Earl asked us to leave the VOD software in there even if we had no intention of ever using it, so I did.

Hey, if you like it, more power to ya. I think its a POS of the highest order, next to my old TIVO. Different strokes and all that. :)

Personally, I've never had a TIVO, only cable and now D* DVR's. I'm happy with my HR20 as it's always worked for me - not something I could say about my old Brighthouse or Insight boxes - but I'm not an HR20 diehard.

I'd be happy with the best of both worlds (wouldn't we all?) - I think the look and feel of the HR20's interface could definitely be much smoother and more updated. The fact that it's essentially the same as that of the SD boxes bothers me the most, I think. It's an HD box - is it too much to ask for some good, HD-quality graphics? Or would that just make it even slower than it already is?

Sorry, that's a little more negative than I wanted it to sound... overall, I'm happy with mine, but it definitely could be better.

I have never had a Tivo.I run the R15 and I do like it,But DirecTV needs to bring a name into the fold to keep subscribers.A name that is associated with reliability and a name that is well known.Unfortunately for DirecTV that name that they need is called Tivo.;)

And my question is this.Why would they have to bring out another box?.Why can't the software be ran on DirecTV's boxes that we have now?.It would seem to me to be the best of both worlds.;)

Heck they could even send out a 10 cent sticker(the Tivo guy) to put on the front.:rolleyes::eureka

Last edited:
but it definitely could be better.

That's how I felt four months ago. I just KNEW it had to be getting better. It didn't, for me anyway. There comes a time where the aggravations and cost outstrips the novelty and convienence. That point was almost a month ago. D* STILL hasn't sent the recovery kits for the DVR's so I can cancel entirely. :(

Like I said, if you like it, hey, knock yourself out. But to say it is as good or as easy or as friendly as a TIVO was,is, just to me, nonsense.

One huge improvement of the HR20 is that I no longer have to go get a Coke while waiting on my list of recorded programs to come up. I've still got an SD Tivo and while I love all the functions, you best not be in a hurry for something on that hard drive.

The return of Tivo to D*

Notice you are now listing yourself as an Ex-D* customer.

Based on the equipment you listed for dishes, you could have purchased a used HR10-250 off E-Bay and had the Tivo interface.

Did you consider doing that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)