The return of TiVo to DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Who's to say thatthe NEW TIVO, if it ever does become reality, will have ANY of the FEATURES your looking for, no one said the TIVO would be a copy of the OLD TIVO with MPEG 4 capabilities.

Jimbo

I know you didn't accuse me of this, but I compare MY experiences with both DVR's, not the general experience. Yes, I admit, the TIVO was slower. But it WORKED, all the time. Until I had to get rid of it due to a hard drive issue. I had no knowledge of how to replace it.

Just tonight, my great, stable, HR20, with VOD enabled but no ethernet hooked to it because they asked us to do it that way, totally mucked up a recording, the recording started okay alright, but then the video stopped and the audio kept going....my TIVO NEVER did that.

I haven't had it a year yet, and I am already sick of it. A new TIVO, based on existing proven technology, cannot possibly be this bad.

And D* is interested in selling me VOD? Please. I want a stable box FIRST. Stevie Wonder can see they do NOT intend on doing that. :(

I actually like the HR20 and Tivo. Both are great and different in some ways. I really dont want to get mucked into another thread like this but I've had a Tivo since 1999 and it has locked and missed recordings on me. Perfect unit, far from it. Great reliable DVR, yes. Is my HR20 reliable too, definitely yes. Sorry some folks have issues but to me, I've moved on from Tivo and dont miss it one bit. My HR20 does everything and more for ME. Does it satisfy everyone, nope but then I've been around long enough that I dont think you can and folks will find faults in anything. I do hope the Tivo relationship is rekindled and we see a Directv Tivo HD DVR capable of MPEG4 in the future.

When DTV or Comcast "subsidizes" the service its cheaper and better for everyone.

Do we really know how Comcast is going to handle their DVR pricing in regards to TiVo? They still haven't streeted their TiVo-integrated DVR, TiVo took a hit on their Q3 earnings in regards to their stock because of a stockpile of analog S2 units saying they didn't realize there would be a big demand for a budget priced HD DVR. :rolleyes: And you wonder why people brand the company as "clueless". Guess that whole digital deadline in 2009 slipped right by them.

My guess is you won't see that whole "one price covers all DVRs" DIRECTV offers with Comcast/TiVo. Cable don't play that way and it's like pulling teeth to get a multi-unit discount from TiVo. Malone has a cable mindset so I wouldn't put it past him to jack up the DVR charges when he comes onboard. I'm not adding any new equipment until I see how everything shakes out. I've got a year left on the HR20 so I'll sit tight for now.

If an MPEG 4 TiVo jacks up the charges, then as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth it.

I hope it doesn't happen as I don't want to pay any more addl. money just to have it work, I can see the TIVO coming back and wanting 10 -12 dollars a month per sub for thier software,I won't pay it, $ 6 bucks is plenty for the DVR just to work. Fortunatly D* decided to incorperate all theDVR's intro on payment, that was a good thing for them in the long run.
TIVO was $12 p/m on it's own, just for a stinkin guide that I could get off the D* screen ....

Jimbo

It isn't $12/month with dtv service is it? I thought it was like $6...

Has everyone forgotten how well the HR10-250 worked with tivo software, can you say piece of ****. I know, I gladly gave one up for the HR20.

Do you realize that it wasn't Tivo holding the HR 10-250 back, it was D* holding back all the capabilities that the box was capable of?

It isn't $12/month with dtv service is it? I thought it was like $6...

As I understand the contract that was given the extension, it was for maintenance and updates to existing boxes. I'd have to imagine that if TiVo is asked to develop for a new box, then a new contract would be required. A company strapped for cash probably isn't going to find the ~ $1/sub of the previous contract to their liking.

cybok0 said:
Do you realize that it wasn't Tivo holding the HR 10-250 back, it was D* holding back all the capabilities that the box was capable of?

So, was it DIRECTV's fault that with 3.x software it took my HR10 an eternity to confirm a recording?

So, was it DIRECTV's fault that with 3.x software it took my HR10 an eternity to confirm a recording?

Yes, because they didn't update the software sooner. The Tivo is nothing more than a computer, it needs updates to advance and to fix bugs. My Samsung DTIVO was upgraded to 6.2 long before the HR10-250, was that TIVO's fault? No, it was D*'s fault for not upgrading sooner. The SA s2 TIVOs was far more advanced than your HR10-250, once again was it TIVO's fault? No, it was D*s fault.

Why can't you use the USB on the DTIVOs? Because D* doesn't want you to, the SA s2 TIVOs are capable of using them with your computer and TIVO 2GO. Is that TIVOs fault? No, it's D*s fault.

The ability was always there, just look at TIVO community, D* just didn't want to use it.

Yesterday in the mail I received a postcard from D* stating, "GREAT NEWS FOR DIRECTV CUSTOMERS" We at D* continue to work with TiVo to bring you the best TV experience possible. What do you need to do to get the most innovative new features? Nothing. We will bring them to you? NEW TIVO FEATURES ARE ON THE WAY.

The back said,
As a D*/TiVo Customer, you'll soon have access to the latest innovations such as:
D* Remote Booking
Recently Deleted Folder
Overlap protection

The time frame was early 2008

Yesterday in the mail I received a postcard from D* stating, "GREAT NEWS FOR DIRECTV CUSTOMERS" We at D* continue to work with TiVo to bring you the best TV experience possible. What do you need to do to get the most innovative new features? Nothing. We will bring them to you? NEW TIVO FEATURES ARE ON THE WAY.

The back said,
As a D*/TiVo Customer, you'll soon have access to the latest innovations such as:
D* Remote Booking
Recently Deleted Folder
Overlap protection

The time frame was early 2008
I can do most of that, even undelete using add on programs I already have on my HDTivo and version 3.1.5f. What HDtivo owners want is the same box they have with mpeg4 tuners in it not features they have already added themselves. WTF is so hard for D* to understand?

The only bad thing is that Directv will never have a HD Tivo in Mpeg-4 unless Directv changes their policy.

Policy changed. Read the postcard I only have an HR20

It must have been a mistake. I know new software is supposed to be coming out for the HR10-250, don't know when, but it is supposed to come out.

Yes, because they didn't update the software sooner.

Update or not, the fact remains that once you had a few shows in Now Playing, any new shows you tried to schedule to record took an abnormally long time to confirm, and the ability to schedule recording of shows is a DVR basic. That was a limitation of TiVo. The fact they needed to update their software is an admission of that limitation.

Update or not, the fact remains that once you had a few shows in Now Playing, any new shows you tried to schedule to record took an abnormally long time to confirm, and the ability to schedule recording of shows is a DVR basic. That was a limitation of TiVo. The fact they needed to update their software is an admission of that limitation.

I never had that problem with mt DTIVO. But like I said it's not Tivos fault, it's D*s fault. Blame the right party, don't blame the wrong one just because you are a little upset. If updating software is a problem for you, then you should never get the HR-20.

I had the HR10-250 and now the HR20-700. Both have advantages over the other. However, in all honestly, I find my old Tivo to have more user friendly advantages over the HR20. (Smoother fast forwarding, shows channel logos and recording duration in the playlist, etc). Would I go back to an MPEG4 Tivo? Absolutely!

I stated publicaly on DBSTalk, and I'll do it here. If D* releases an MPEG4 HD TIVO, I'll take my POS HR-20, that can't scan for OTA, can't switch between tuners, can't hold a pause point for any reason if you go anywhere but the show currently on the screen, that HR20, bring it to my local shooting range, and put mulitple 44 caliber bullets in it, and then mail it back to D*. I'll PAY for it just to be rid of the POS. Every day that goes by I loathe it more.:mad:

We've got the best service in the satellite world with the crappiest DVR in existance.

Oh, I almost forgot, but they tell me I'll have VOD soon, kinda VOD, I guess, I don't intend to run ANOTHER wire to my entertainment center through two walls from my internet connection, THEN wait for content to download, then watch it. No internet, no VOD. What a load. !protest
other than all you mention, life is good? btw, all the things you mention that don't work on your hr20 i have no problem with on mine.

other than all you mention, life is good? btw, all the things you mention that don't work on your hr20 i have no problem with on mine.

Really? You can scan for ALL your OTA, even the ones D* doesn't see fit to give you? You have REAL DLB, not some pseudo record both, switch back and forth bull? Cool. One day I might have to see about coming back to D*.

Oh, and I CHALLENGE you to pause your current channel on screen, switch the channel WITHOUT HITTING RECORD, and see if it doesn't lose the pause point on the channel you came from. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts