The rule is "No Hack Talk" - don't be so rude.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lak7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Near Chicago, Illinois
However, he did describe the Limesat HD Air receiver he's using in more detail including the fact that it has the LM400 module installed which is used to receive Turbo 8PSK transponders. Limesat is one of those brands which was specifically designed with satellite piracy in mind so if you read between the lines, it's a safe bet to make that he is most likely involved with satellite piracy or a combination of that along with legitimate FTA.
The rule is "No Hack Talk"!
Not accuse someone of something because of their equipment.

Not sure what your talking about to be honest with you. :)
Seems that Lak7 has a point.
Reminds me of an old joke about a lady reading a book when sitting in her husband's fishing boat, her husband temporarily absent.
Water guard, arriving at the scene : "Do you have fishing licence? " Lady: "No, I do not have, but I do not fish, just reading a book..."
Guard: "but you have the equipment, fishing rod and all. I have to give you a ticket.
Lady : "OK, if you proceed, I will accuse you of rape - after all, you have the equipment, don't you? "
Guard : "Have a nice day"

Got it, a number of folks PMed me.

I didn't read all the posts in it, just the last few which told me enough.:D

Yep the alarms have been sounding since yesterday. :D

The rule is "No Hack Talk"!
Not accuse someone of something because of their equipment.

It wasn't only because of their equipment but also the type of information he provided and his reluctance in answering questions asked by our knowledgeable members. We typically give new members the benefit of the doubt but in this particular case, a fair amount of red flags were raised which made a few members suspicious, including myself.

I guess our suspicions were correct as the entire thread was recently deleted

Thread deleted by Iceberg

Reason
hacker
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it is...
biggrin.gif

For a place that wants to be viewed as welcoming and newbie friendly, I would give that welcome an "F"! Definitely created an unwelcoming atmosphere and the feeling of entering a "good 'ol boys" exclusive club. When someone walks in the door and is treated like a criminal or at least a suspect, they will likely quickly exit and never look back. Imagine walking into a restaurant and hearing how ugly your wife is, then all through your meal have the next table loudly discuss why she is so ugly and the reasons you must be stuck with her and what a real woman should look like... Hmmmm, I just told a parable! :)

"Equipment Profiling" comes to mind. Why not welcome them and waste valuable time to find out the facts before wasting valuable time accusing them? Let's not intentionally chase people away from true FTA!

Last edited:
Another thing... if you think the user might be doing illegal things or things that violate the rules, do not take the law into your own hands and jump on the person, instead report the post and let the staff handle it.

That one was a strange and confusing one, because it go close to being hack talk but never actually crossed the line that I saw in that thread. However I understand there was one more post that was made in another thread which pushed things over the edge.

When I first started looking into FTA, I found sites selling hack boxes before discovering legitimate companies (they seem to outnumber legal FTA manufacturers/sellers). A noob wouldn't know the difference between i-Link, Limesat, OpenBox, AZBox, or GeosatPro until after settling here (or at another forum) for a little while. I nearly made the mistake of buying a random cheap receiver and dish before doing any research (I think it was one known for hacks). It's probably best to assume that people with brand new accounts are noobs first, not hackers.

Another thing... if you think the user might be doing illegal things or things that violate the rules, do not take the law into your own hands and jump on the person, instead report the post and let the staff handle it.

Much better than piling on a new person.

My previous comments about our interaction with newbies do not require post validation of poor behavior.

Great! We caught a hacker! Let's all stand in a circle and pat each other on the back.

Scott's post hit the nail on the head. As a group we don't need to be a lynch mob. Personally, I am ashamed to be associated with this behavior.

When I first joined, I was afraid to ask questions for fear that it might be "hack talk" because I understood so little about FTA and the lingo. I "feel" for the newcomer that just bought "FTA" equipment, without realizing that it was designed for theft of service, and coming here for help.

I agree with all thats been said - let's be gentle, understanding and wish the best experience on the newbee.:)
Bob

All these "hacked" boxes for sale online can actually be useful. The first box I got was a Viewsat Ultra off Craigslist for like 20$ and it ended up being a great learning tool. After being fairly comfortable w/ all things FTA, I upgraded to an Openbox then to a MicroHD.

Cheers, K

first off i dont judge anyone because I think at some time or another a good majority of us on here have hacked things including satellite. i agree with the site not wanting to talk about it because they dont want to get shutdown and neither do we want that. With that being said people who are new are going to occasionally buy these boxes, heck my first box was a pansat 2700 and the guy who sold it to me programmed it. I had no idea it was a hack box, I hooked it up to my old ku dish and scanned in all the reg fta sats from 72-123 and when I hit 110 and 119 as well as 91 there were some linear channels on there that came in that I then new shouldnt have been on there so it is easy for a newbie to not know whats going on yet. Heck i could only imagine if I had a universal circular/linear lnb when I scanned those sats in!! lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)