The State of Dish Network, 6 months later!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Hey guys and greetings from the united states. :)... For those of you who dont know, I have been back from Iraq for the past three days on leave. So, Whats the first thing I do once I get home after giving my wife and daughter the love that they have missed. I turn on the TV.

So Lets Start on the positives.

The quality of the HD demo channel is A++++... I had to check out the bitrate...

Its currently running at 20+ MBPS for the video AND
20 MBS+ for AUDIO! For a total of 40 MBPS+ The quality actually is stunning. I just wish every channel on dishHD could look like this.

The 2nd is VOD programming. While dish is still building upon this, it was nice to turn on my 622 and press the dvr button. From there under the TV Entertainment tab I was able to watch programming from HGTV, NATGO, AND Food Network. Although its only 3 programs it was nice to see step's in the right direction. With the news that was broken a few weeks ago here, It looks like dish is moving well in the right direction.

NETWORK HD, For us here in chicago it looks like dish has finally ironed out the bugs with the mpg4 encoders. That is awsome! The quality is pretty good, allthogh a little bit starved at times. expecally on the 1080I channels. OH yea and if you live in the chicago area, Tune to ABC7 News at 500PM on January 6th for The first NEWS broadcast in HD in the chicago area! Congrats to ABC7 for being chicago's HD station and leading the way in delivering High Def news to the viewers in chicago.

Now we get to the bad.

What the hell happened to ESPN and HDNET???????

WOW the quality on these two channels have gone down the tubes.. Infact, im half way tempted to send an email to dish quality. Espn has much microblocking as well as HD Net. How do you mess up a 720P channel? If we have any engineers in the house please look at this.

CBSHD! What happened to the O&O rule. I would of thought that this would have stayed on being that "technically by the books" Digital programming cant be considered a distant network as it does not follow the same rules as analoge programming. This one still has to be determined by the fcc and I would expect them to address this hopefully in 07

Another disappointment in the HD sector was the lack of HD additions and the voom repeats continue. Im still listening to the same alantis morsette on Rave HD that was on 6 months ago, and well over a year ago. After all I know WTTW chicago (wich tapes and airs) soundstage has had numerous new artists on air than what voom shows. I did remember dish saying by years end saying New hd was coming. Well, The year has almost ended and another broken promise.

I think with the blind sidedness from tivo and and the lost of distant networks, Dish has lost focus on what really matters, and that is the customer. The TV industry has finally crossed a threash hold this year. There are now more HDTV owners than SDTV owners, as reported by my local abc news earlyer today. Has dish, nor directv at that fact, stepped up to the plate. No. In the end if dish doesnt do something with the quality and amount of programming soon, there subscriber base will get smaller as people transition to HDTV.

Recommendations to fix things. Instead of waiting for CES to unveil things, Do it a few weeks earlyer in time for the holidays. What a way to get people in the door with new programming and a christmas gift of new programming, This would also force directv to respond to any "industry shockers" Also instead of following the hdlite standard.... SET THE STANDARD OF QUALITY! What i mean by that, is create a new standard of high quality programming and blow directv out of the water.

Well that's pretty much it. Some times I wish I had a job up in corporate Echostar and that I could call the shots. Things would be way different and I do belive that E* would be in a much better place with more subscribers. What charlie and co needs to realize that sometimes a fresh pair of eyes who can bring in new ideas is needed as it helps relive the fog that they are seeing. I hardly doubt they will take my advice though because that would be a way of admitting that someone isnt doing there job, and that I can do it better than they can. Just give me the chance when I get back permantly. Thats all I ask for and You wont be disappointed :)

Last edited:
Welcome home Bob. I'm glad to see you're having a good leave. Yep, the HD-Lite and VOOM repeats continue...and ESPN & HDNet have been big a big disappointment on E*. It's not talk about much these days on the Forums since not much is going to happen at this time (no incentive for Dish Network to improve since DirecTV HD isn't doing anything). Your views are well founded, but not too many folks appear to appreciate jaw-dropping HD these days. It's too bad because DishHD started off the year with a bang and lots of promise, but the quality is not on par and...well, we're all still waiting VOOM's fiber problem to be repaired...waiting since October 2005.:rolleyes:

Welcome home Bob. I'm glad to see you're having a good leave. Yep, the HD-Lite and VOOM repeats continue...and ESPN & HDNet have been big a big disappointment on E*. It's not talk about much these days on the Forums since not much is going to happen at this time (no incentive for Dish Network to improve since DirecTV HD isn't doing anything). Your views are well founded, but not too many folks appear to appreciate jaw-dropping HD these days. It's too bad because DishHD started off the year with a bang and lots of promise, but the quality is not on par and...well, we're all still waiting VOOM's fiber problem to be repaired...waiting since October 2005.:rolleyes:

Tell me about it!

Not to worry all is going to change soon. Earlier this year when the 622 was introduced Charlie himself the CEO of the company said that Dish would have 50 local markets up by years end in HD and I do not think he is a liar, so sometime in the next 5 days an additional 22 locals will go online in HD. It is going to be awesome can you imagine what else is likely to come with those locals that were promised after all people spent money buying equipment because they were supposed to get these I am sure Dish would not renege on this

You might want to check again on the demo channel. The video is at 19mbps with 384kbps audio. It will be a llloooonngg time before you see a 20mbps for audio. It's also being shared by another 14mbps 1920x1080i FTE jewel that is not in the PAT. With plenty of NULL packets to spare on this stream.

"...There are now more HDTV owners than SDTV owners,..."

I don't think so. Maybe "There are now more HDTV buyers than SDTV buyers."

Welcome back. Now you can cool off and offload the sand. :)

9443, it is only on 61.5W though.

ESPNHD looks like crap because of ESPN. There have been lots of complaints this fall season over at avs, from all different providers. Average bitrate on Dish is around 14Mbit, which isn't bad for a 720p channel.

HDNet looks bad because Dish decided to cram the "free HD preview channel" on the same TP as HDNet + HDMovies. Its been downres'd to 1440x1080i and obviously the bitrate has suffered as well. HDN + HDM had taken up pretty much the entire transponder before.

Not to worry all is going to change soon. Earlier this year when the 622 was introduced Charlie himself the CEO of the company said that Dish would have 50 local markets up by years end in HD and I do not think he is a liar, so sometime in the next 5 days an additional 22 locals will go online in HD. It is going to be awesome can you imagine what else is likely to come with those locals that were promised after all people spent money buying equipment because they were supposed to get these I am sure Dish would not renege on this
You're being sarcastic, right? :)

The Demo Channel being at 19Mbps does burn me. This makes it look like E* is engaged in premeditated deceit & fraud.

It is out there to entice people to sub to E*. But then when you sub to E*, you do not get a single HD channel that is its equal in quality.

It seems to me that if anyone ever does go after E* in a class action suit for not providing what it is advertising on HD, that this information about the Demo channel could be a key component in making a case.

Kinda like dropping 75 cents into a bright, shiny Coke machine and getting a store brand cola. It's still a cola, but it isn't what was advertised.

The Demo Channel being at 19Mbps does burn me. This makes it look like E* is engaged in premeditated deceit & fraud.

It is out there to entice people to sub to E*. But then when you sub to E*, you do not get a single HD channel that is its equal in quality.

It seems to me that if anyone ever does go after E* in a class action suit for not providing what it is advertising on HD, that this information about the Demo channel could be a key component in making a case.

Kinda like dropping 75 cents into a bright, shiny Coke machine and getting a store brand cola. It's still a cola, but it isn't what was advertised.

Yea, its one of the only non rate limited HD channels on Dish. Even the HDNets are capped at 18Mbit max (by the statmuxes). Of course, since the TP the demo channel is on has over 3Mbit of null packets, there really is no reason for statmuxing ;).

Welcome back Goiliebob, really glad u got to be home for Christmas! Good to have ya back and bitching about Dish's poor HD, people around here are kinda accepting the poor quality as Dish would want! Fresh eyes are what we need to stir sh*t up again and let Dish know how displeased we are with their quality! ;)

By the way, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)