[Other Topic] The State of Terrestrial Radio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

The Fat Man

aka. Dr. Fat Man
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
I know that I have gone off on rants allot this topic in the past, but what is up with the state of terrestrial radio these days? Formats change all the time, but here in the Boston DMA, the wave is over saturation of country and pop. DJs are virtually the same cookie cutter discussions. Trying to sound local, yet import the same false prank calls and Fugitive watered down gimmicks.

Here's where I'm coming from, I grew up in the Boston area. Throughout my time I had an over saturation of Rock (including classic rock and alternative) stations. There was WBCN, WAAF, WCOZ, WFNX, WZLX, and now WBOS. Only three of these stations exist. I went to college where I could turn on WBCN and get Stern in the morning and Opie and Anthony in the afternoon. I get that times change, and companies will adjust to fit trends in their listeners, but it seems that the same three companies owns the cluster and they're hell bent on having the same formats.

Lord knows my disdain for CBS radio. They actively killed rock on the East Coast. WBCN was killed to put on Sports Talk, but its frequency was perverted with the crappy Hot AC station moving up the dual to the frequency. In Philly, WYSP was slaughtered for Sports Talk. In New York, K-Rock was killed twice, WNEW was destroyed for talk, and let's not forget that those b******* murdered WRXP because God forbid that they not use one of their other frequencies to put WFAN on FM. Last I checked NOW was a garbage format. But that's ok, they'll listen to AMP, right? Not to knock Sunny. It does a good job with the classic hits, but O-Rock didn't get a fair chance.

Let me know what you think. I'm limited on the happenings around the country. I know CBS, because I've been eyeballing their situation since the demise of WBCN. Am I insane, or is radio becoming crap?

I agree 100%! The WRXP thing was total B.S.! And within the last year here locally, WFYV Rock 104.5 was killed off to simulcast the crappy "news" /talk 690 WOKV. I'm thankful for 100.5 The Buzz, and X1029, both alt rock. If they ever go, I'm done with terrestrial radio.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I must admit, I speak for the metro Boston market, but I'm actually in an area where I can get a couple Clear Cha...I mean (errrr) i...heart...media (errrr) stations out of New Hampshire. I just get annoyed with it. Out west, there's a bit more respect for the format. KROQ in Los Angeles and X-107.5 in Las Vegas are two examples of CBS rock stations that are thriving. But here on the East Coast, it's not the story. Not just CBS, but several companies. WCCC was recently killed. It's also not just rock. In Boston, three years after WBCN was killed and that crappy Mix station was moved to its frequency, CBS then killed the Oldies format on WODS for AMP. I get Hot AC and CHR are different, but only slightly. Now you have AMP at 103.3 and Mix at 104.1. How about real variety on the radio. I would of got it if WODS was flipped to an Urban station, but not a second way for CBS to play Miley Cyrus. At least there's still WROR for the classic hits format. I just know for a locally produced rock station its either WAAF, which tends to be stuck in the 90s with some new songs mixed in, or I need to run data on my cellphone to stream RadioBDC, which is the sucessor to WFNX, and a damn fine station. In fact, they hired all the FNX jocks after FNX announced that it was being sold. I just hate having to hook my phone up to a cassette adapter or use a transmitter to run the station when I'm driving. The car is one with cassette and CD, and is a 2006 model. Like I said before, I can go on forever. 99x in Atlanta was killed, resurrected, and killed again. Q101 is killed for that joke that Randy Michaels created. At least a New WKQX was brought back. That crap also killed the original WRXP. Then there's KUFO in Seattle. It's just all crap. I like listening to radio around the country, but not when they are asking to ask a guy if they are (________) $(______) Fugative, between fake prank calls and arguments about their opinions of who was better on American Idol.

I guess I'm lucky in a "Small" market (Duluth, MN). No "I fart radio" stations here. I know Minneapolis is littered with them and it bothers me what they do there. They keep buying up these LP stations (translators) to put their HD2 signals on. OK thats fine but the signal is just Mpls proper but enough bleedover to f**k up the distant stations I use to get when I visit my folks in SW Suburbs

I actually like the 2 Rock stations here locally
KQDS 94.9 (KQ95)...plays a variety of older rock with some newer stuff. There is a "KQ" in Minneapolis (92KQRS) and they have played the same boring playlist for 40 years. But they still get the listeners
K231BI 94.1 (94X)...main station is actually KZIO 104.3 in Two Harbors (25 miles up the road) but in Duluth the Inter-modulation is so bad that "distant" stations are hard to get and if you're in downtown Duluth...forget it. They play active (hard) rock

Reactions: The Fat Man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)