the stutter/frame drop that plagues VOOM..

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarrellP said:
You guys must have equipment issues. Since the upgrade fixed my DVI blanking issue, my picture has been rock solid. I have no more OTA issues than 'normal' that I also get with my Dish 6000.

well then there are a lot of us with equipment issues then.like I've stated though. It's not like this stutter problem is that noticable to the average joe at first. You knid of have to look for it at first, but then after catching it, you never miss it again. I used to argue with someone else here in this group, that I didn't see it, when he had posted about it. Then he told me to watch sportsworld with some soccer action going on and that I would see it. Sure enough he was right, and I have been able to see it on every channel since then. A lot of folks would also say that since we see dish and D* having better PQ than VOOM, that we have defective equipment also. That is of course if we see this even with having the top red bar lit, and all cables seem good. On another note, I think it's kind of strange that Wilt ignores all the questions asked on this issue over at the yahoo group. He answers to everything else, even goes as far as answering a test post??? But when it comes to *HEY WILT WHAT ABOUT THE STUTTERING ISSUE?* nothing...not even a simple reply.

maybe Wilt Reads this group too? he just posted this about this issue over at yahoo:

Subject: RE: [VOOM] Wilt: Have you figured out the stuttering?

Well, as I've said in the past, this is one of the things we're upgrading all the encoders to resolve-we've had momentary glitches from them.
I've not noticed, nor apparently paid enough attention here, to this happening on over the air signals as well, so that's new one for me--sorry if in "speed reading" I missed the subtlety here.
I've sent this off to Moto, let's see what we know.
Wilt

I know what you mean because I used to see a stuttering on my Dish 6000 with movies that were OTA but nobody else in the Portland area thread ever saw it. CBS showed Eraser in HD and it looked like a USA movie where they time compress and it looked like every 6th frame or so was being dropped, so I know what you mean, this drives me crazy. I have not seen this with Voom.

DarrellP said:
I know what you mean because I used to see a stuttering on my Dish 6000 with movies that were OTA but nobody else in the Portland area thread ever saw it. CBS showed Eraser in HD and it looked like a USA movie where they time compress and it looked like every 6th frame or so was being dropped, so I know what you mean, this drives me crazy. I have not seen this with Voom.

That isn't like what I see. it doesn't constantly stutter like that. I've seen that with a local PBS HD station though, that is worse, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's far less noticable than that if you haven't seen it before. It only happens every few seconds/minutes. and it's just one tiny skpi in the frame. You can miss it if you even blink at that moment.

I have gone through this problem. It got so bad you could not watch it. The solution was to send me out a new receiver. It never got installed. The first thing tried was to unplug the receiver and reboot it this way. I did not lose my program guide and it fixed it for five or six hours. I finally rebooted by holding the left-hand button down for five seconds. I lost my program guide for about an hour and the problem did not come back until the next day (24 hours later). I decided that I could probably live with rebooting every 24 hours. The next day I rebooted it again at the beginning of a program I did not want interrupted. That has been a week and it has never started doing it again. Everything is working fine now. Every time that it was doing it, rebooting would fix it. The problem I had manifested itself in the picture jumping on fast motion and looking good on slow or no motion. It occurred only on the HD channels (both OTA and VOOM) :) .

For me, the stutter seems to occur once every 2-5 minutes on satellite channels, and perhaps five times an hour on off-air channels. If it occurs during a scene transition, you probably won't notice-- it seems to last no more than 10-15 frames, a fraction of a second. However, when the camera is focused on one spot, such as during a soccer game, or on Tony Soprano's face, it is fairly obvious to me.

It is more obvious to me on DVI than component, though I haven't used component much recently.

well then there are a lot of us with equipment issues then.like I've stated though. It's not like this stutter problem is that noticable to the average joe at first. You knid of have to look for it at first, but then after catching it, you never miss it again. I used to argue with someone else here in this group, that I didn't see it, when he had posted about it. Then he told me to watch sportsworld with some soccer action going on and that I would see it.

It's there alright. I am very sensitive to frame drops due to my video oriented hobbies, and there's no two ways about it - Voom drops a frame every minute or two.

GeneWildershair said:
I would like to know how many folks out there are actually seeing this problem. So please reply if you see, or don't see.This problem for those of you who may not of heard about it, is a just a very subtle frame skip/ stutter that can occur every few seconds, or every few minutes.It will appear as if your picture jumps for a split second, it is very quick, that if you blink you can easily miss it. But believe me, once you see it, you'll always see it. It's very annoying. It's on every channel, including *all* the OTA stations you may get. It seems posting over at Yahoo, and putting "Wilt" in the heading, still isn't getting his attention. Which is strange, because he'll answer just about every other question we've thrown at him over there. I have even called VOOM abou thtis, and their "tech support" :rolleyes: doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. It seems The folks over at VOOM are ignoring this problem.
I have gone through this problem. It got so bad you could not watch it. The solution was to send me out a new receiver. It never got installed. The first thing tried was to unplug the receiver and reboot it this way. I did not lose my program guide and it fixed it for five or six hours. I finally rebooted by holding the left-hand button down for five seconds. I lost my program guide for about an hour and the problem did not come back until the next day (24 hours later). I decided that I could probably live with rebooting every 24 hours. The next day I rebooted it again at the beginning of a program I did not want interrupted. That has been a week and it has never started doing it again. Everything is working fine now. Every time that it was doing it, rebooting would fix it. The problem I had manifested itself in the picture jumping on fast motion and looking good on slow or no motion. It occurred only on the HD channels (both OTA and VOOM) . I am reposting this reply so it will be associated with your original message.

YES...

VOOM is having some picture quality issues. Im sorry that some of you guys are lucky enough to not be having an issue with it... but I AM NOT crazy...

I've been doing this type of thing for quite some time... I know for a fact that I have noticed some degradation in picture quality since the EncoreHD addition.

I'm seeing stutter right now on OTA (Jay Leno / Minneapolis) that is driving me batty. Scrambling to hook up my DTC-100 again to see if it is a local problem, or a Voom problem.

OK! Thanks Gene! :no

I finally am aware of the micro-stutters. They are def there.

I think I was more fixated on the audio drop annoyances that I didn't notice the micro-stutters. Now I'm up to two serious 'glitches' that need some serious attention on V* part.

If I had to pick an order of which should be fixed first (despite the fact that neither should be occurring) it would be the audio drop-outs. They are driving me NUTS!!

Stutter

GeneWildershair said:
The only problem I would have in documenting it, is that it happens *all* the time, with *every* channel. I could sit here and literally post every few minutes for the entire day, just listing every time I see it.

I have posted about this before - I have noticed this on EVERY channel, SD, HD and OTA. I notice it more on the SD channels but it is there on the others as well.

The thing I find interesting is that I have seen this EXACT same problem before on my C-band system when I had an old Unity Motion/Intergra receiver along with my 4DTV receiver. This receiver did OTA and some MPEG stuff off satellite (ABC, PBS, etc). Stuttering/Frame dropping would occur on all channels - this problem turned out to be a defect in the receiver itself, which I beleive was corrected in later versions. There was someone that was doing repairs, I never sent mine in, just put up with the problem for a while then eventually sold the unit.

If I recall, the problem would occur exactly every 90 seconds or so. I haven't actually timed it on VOOM, when I get time I'll sit down in front of the TV and do some checking.

stevegs1 said:
I have posted about this before - I have noticed this on EVERY channel, SD, HD and OTA. I notice it more on the SD channels but it is there on the others as well.

The thing I find interesting is that I have seen this EXACT same problem before on my C-band system when I had an old Unity Motion/Intergra receiver along with my 4DTV receiver. This receiver did OTA and some MPEG stuff off satellite (ABC, PBS, etc). Stuttering/Frame dropping would occur on all channels - this problem turned out to be a defect in the receiver itself, which I beleive was corrected in later versions. There was someone that was doing repairs, I never sent mine in, just put up with the problem for a while then eventually sold the unit.

If I recall, the problem would occur exactly every 90 seconds or so. I haven't actually timed it on VOOM, when I get time I'll sit down in front of the TV and do some checking.

I'm also suspecting it's the reciever itself. I honestly think they are just bad recievers. And when I say that, I mean *ALL* the recievers made for VOOM by motorola are bad, not just a few of them. I don't know if there is a possibilty to download a fix for this problem, but if there isn't they should recall all these boxes. I believe this problem is there on every box. There are folks out there who don't notice this problem at all, (like my wife).

My voom PQ is far superior to my D* reception. Does this guy have a screw loose? Quick everyone. Get up you gotta see this pixelation ive been flippin through the channels and waiting for all day. never mind that its 3am. Get up and see this quick! Never mind the storm outside. I told you it was V* compression problems!

vurbano said:
My voom PQ is far superior to my D* reception. Does this guy have a screw loose? Quick everyone. Get up you gotta see this pixelation ive been flippin through the channels and waiting for all day. never mind that its 3am. Get up and see this quick! Never mind the storm outside. I told you it was V* compression problems!

I have D* also, and no I don't have a screw lose, my D* discovery HD, and HBOhd feed is better than VOOM's. I sometimes work very late, and yes sometimes this is the only time I have to watch tv. I can't believe I even have to explain myself to you. Anyways, no need to to resort to name calling there tough guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)