the stutter/frame drop that plagues VOOM..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done watching the last hour and half or so of Star Wars on HBO HD-E and there wasn't one single stutter, no pixelation, no compression artifacts and not one single audio drop-out. There is a ton of fast motion and quick panning in this flick and the picture was as perfect as I could ever expect.

I highly doubt it's the STB personally.

Mr. Biggles said:
I just got done watching the last hour and half or so of Star Wars on HBO HD-E and there wasn't one single stutter, no pixelation, no compression artifacts and not one single audio drop-out. There is a ton of fast motion and quick panning in this flick and the picture was as perfect as I could ever expect.

I highly doubt it's the STB personally.
Yup-posted earlier that me thinks that HBO and MAX HD are far better in pq than showhd and starz(not sure about Encore HD yet)-If the other premiums looked like HBO and MA:mad:owned by the same company btw) than I would be satisfied for now.

eschu97611 said:
Yup-posted earlier that me thinks that HBO and MAX HD are far better in pq than showhd and starz(not sure about Encore HD yet)-If the other premiums looked like HBO and MA:mad:owned by the same company btw) than I would be satisfied for now.
Throw TMCHD in their as a channel with pq "issues" too.

Been watching Wes Craven:They on Showtime HD-W with none of the issues easily seen on the same channel with B. Spears earlier.

How is that explainable??

Mr. Biggles said:
Been watching Wes Craven:They on Showtime HD-W with none of the issues easily seen on the same channel with B. Spears earlier.

How is that explainable??

For some strange reason it's easier to notice at times than others. But withmost movies they play during the day it looks ok, til some fast action hits the screen, then you can see some strange pixelation, more like a blur actually. Last night while watching Dead like me, there was a train wreck at the end of the episode, that made it pixelate pretty good, and cause these blurs. There's just something about the Britney concert that shows all the channels flaws perfectly though.

I see stutter on satellite and OTA channels. I also get occasional audio dropouts on some channels. I wonder if my box is totally screwed up.

I noticed the stutter on OTA channels yesterday. :mad:

I do not watch much OTA, so I assume I missed it before.

From another thread:
rzuch said:
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the Voom receiver's output format and how to change it. It appears the component video output is 1080i60. I need 1080i59.94, which is what everyone else seems to be using (Direct TV, Dish, OTA receivers, etc.). There is likely a switch or jumper in the receiver that selects the refresh rate (59.94 or 60). Any help would be much appreciated!
If there is indeed a frequency discrepancy (60Hz vs. 59.94Hz), that would cause a frame skip (say, every 16-17 seconds), could this explain the stutter problem that Jay and others are talking about?

Correction (05/30/04): the frame rate is actually twice lower than the output frequency: 29.97 frames per second. So, my corrected calculations are as follows:

At 30 fps we have 3000 frames in 100 seconds.
At 29.97 fps we have 2997 frames in 100 seconds.
So, we are loosing 3 frames per 100 seconds, or 1 frame every 33 1/3 seconds.

Here is what I think is going on: the satellite (and OTA broadcasters too) is sending video at the industry-standard frame rate of 29.97 fps, but the STB is configured (by mistake!) to output at 30 fps. As a result it is forced to skip one frame every 33.33 seconds. That's what might be causing the microstutter every 33-34 seconds.

Ilya.

I'm late finding this topic (somehow). But i had voom for 1 month and have had this problem since I got it with the, in my case every 15 seconds stutters. It's on OTA and SAT the exact same way. I have latest firmware, all that stuff. I'm using a HQ DVI cable so it's not the cable. I've left repeated messages for people at Cablevision in NY who sent me an email about the problem but they have never returned even the 1st phone call that they told me to call them!!

This is my biggest problem, the Stutter, the rest I can live with for a bit, and there are other big issues.

Not many posts in this topic for a month, you guys are still having the problem but just not complaining anymore I guess ??

flipper2001 said:
I'm late finding this topic (somehow). But i had voom for 1 month and have had this problem since I got it with the, in my case every 15 seconds stutters. It's on OTA and SAT the exact same way. I have latest firmware, all that stuff. I'm using a HQ DVI cable so it's not the cable. I've left repeated messages for people at Cablevision in NY who sent me an email about the problem but they have never returned even the 1st phone call that they told me to call them!!

This is my biggest problem, the Stutter, the rest I can live with for a bit, and there are other big issues.

Not many posts in this topic for a month, you guys are still having the problem but just not complaining anymore I guess ??
Affirmative-prob still there-like banging your head against a brick wall though as far as the complaining goes-Voom is aware apparently and has been for months-waiting patiently and still paying my bill on time, btw-LMAO

it's still there, noticed on espn hockey (very fast sport, so very obvious)but not as bad as in the past..we still want it Fixed!

I see the stutter. It's most apparent when the camera is panning, like during a basketball game when the camera is following the players as they run down the court, you see it stop for a split second then resume and you can tell there's been some frames dropped.

It doesn't bother me a great deal. I'm more disappointed with the softness. The picture looks good, but lacks that "wow now THIS is HD!" goodness. I have a 65" Mits RPTV. The stutter will probably be fixed. The softness is rather subjective I'm afraid they'll just blame it on your eyes or your equipment and not do anything about it.

barth2k said:
I see the stutter. It's most apparent when the camera is panning, like during a basketball game when the camera is following the players as they run down the court, you see it stop for a split second then resume and you can tell there's been some frames dropped.

It doesn't bother me a great deal. I'm more disappointed with the softness. The picture looks good, but lacks that "wow now THIS is HD!" goodness. I have a 65" Mits RPTV. The stutter will probably be fixed. The softness is rather subjective I'm afraid they'll just blame it on your eyes or your equipment and not do anything about it.
Pq has been "soft" for a while now imo, although there are those who will tell you that the pq is just fine the way it is(mostly from those who don't have another hd source to compare Voom to)

storageset said:
Yes, I have seen the stutter you describe.
storageset, welcome to the forum!

This is an old thread. Although stutter may be caused by many different things, and may still appear on certain channels and certain programs from time to time, the issue that prompted this specific thread (frame drops on all channels every 33 seconds) has been already fixed in the recent software version updates.

I've never seen it. But we have no OTA channels here. No blips on any HD channels. We do not watch the SD channels much.

This thread confused the crap out of me until I realized it was from APRIL.

Today I noticed that Voom was playing with b/w again, I think that the Republican Convention and the Olympic Closing ceremonies are going to air at the same time for a while. I would like picture quality and the DVR to remain on the forefront of Voom's "TO DO" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.