The Superbowl will be on Dish in hd to some!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
BrianMis said:
Nope it's FOX, Channel 8 WWCP
ABC is Channel 23 WATM, both channels are owned by the same company.
I tried the antenna thing last summer, where I live I am surrounded by hills and live in a little valley. I'm not getting anything.
I just checked and my waver for ABC was approved, I now have WABC on channel 8100 on. Does this do anything for me in reguard to the subject of this thread?

FCC says if you have waivers for analogue they apply for digital/HD as well--unless networks specifically state that they require new waivers.

rdinkel said:
FCC says if you have waivers for analogue they apply for digital/HD as well--unless networks specifically state that they require new waivers.

Thanks rdinkel, maybe there is some hope I will see the SB in HD.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

delanewf said:
Just to make sure: There is no way I am getting the SuperBowl in HD? I live in Pennsylvania in the Altoona/Johnstown DMA. My local ABC doesn't broadcast anything in HD. I keep asking when and they say they are going to but nothing yet.
Could Dish legally show everyone the SuperBowl in HD on 240 and 250 if they wanted to?
I have no luck.
Steeler fan and no SuperBowl XL in HD.
Have you tried to get waivers approved (for the future national HD's). I applied for waivers just for the heck of it (I get all networks OTA great, but thought it might be nice to get through dish as well). Long story short, ABC got approved because the only cable in my area (Charter) does not do Atlanta ABC in HD. Nothing else got approved, but I think I'll try another round just in case. Anyway, all I'm saying is, It can't hurt to try.

I'm surprised no one has threw this out.. Dish made deals with ESPN and Disney lately for all the sports programming like espn and espn2 hd yada yada yada.. no biggie normal but maybe Dish slipped something into the contract to carry the superbowl and disney (witch owns ABC and ESPN) agreed to allow dish to carry the E and W feed. IF disney agreed to this Local affilates cant say sh*t!.. It all depends on the contract details. :) I would like to see it FTA (Free to any one with an hd reciver) But no one knows the details about it yet. :)

goaliebob99 said:
I'm surprised no one has threw this out.. Dish made deals with ESPN and Disney lately for all the sports programming like espn and espn2 hd yada yada yada.. no biggie normal but maybe Dish slipped something into the contract to carry the superbowl and disney (witch owns ABC and ESPN) agreed to allow dish to carry the E and W feed. IF disney agreed to this Local affilates cant say sh*t!.. It all depends on the contract details. :) I would like to see it FTA (Free to any one with an hd reciver) But no one knows the details about it yet. :)
Not to spray water all over your fire, but wouldn't ABC/Disney's contracts with the local affiliates for exclusive programming territories have precedence over any Dish Superbowl contract?

it all depends, ABC is the owner of the content.. it can do what ever it wants with that content.. local affiliates have that exclusive rite to carry ABC's programming for broadcast via terrestrial signals in a particular location. I would think that being that ABC is the owner of the content they would be able to do what ever they want with that content and if they wanted to distribute it via sat, they could do it. I don't think some local affiliate would really care as its already is carrying the same feed. The commercials are national so the local affiliate wont be airing local commercials at that time. I really don't see why a local affiliate would bitch. Its a win win situation for every one :) But it all depends on details that hasn't been released yet :)

Actually all of the commercials aren't national. I only know this because one of my clients had a super bowl commercial last year, but only in the Atlanta and expanded area. Most of the commercials are local, but NOT ALL.

goaliebob99 said:
But it all depends on details that hasn't been released yet :)

Bob... That is the whole issue with this thread... I'm going to be watching SB OTA... I'm with Scott..:(

All of this post is MHO:

ABC does not own all of the content on WABC and KABC and cannot grant waivers for it to be received in markets it does not O&O. The offering of the HD feed(s) is controlled by the statutory copyright exemption granted in SHVERA. Much the same as the SD Networks.

The decision to make these particular feeds available only for the Super Bowl is a DISH Network decision They don't want us to get used to receiving WABC-DT and/or KABC-DT in Mpeg2 from 110w. They might want to put the Olympics HD in that slot ASAP after the Super Bowl is over. :)

Last edited:
goaliebob99 said:
it all depends, ABC is the owner of the content.. it can do what ever it wants with that content.. local affiliates have that exclusive rite to carry ABC's programming for broadcast via terrestrial signals in a particular location. I would think that being that ABC is the owner of the content they would be able to do what ever they want with that content and if they wanted to distribute it via sat, they could do it. I don't think some local affiliate would really care as its already is carrying the same feed. The commercials are national so the local affiliate wont be airing local commercials at that time. I really don't see why a local affiliate would bitch. Its a win win situation for every one :) But it all depends on details that hasn't been released yet :)

bob,

the NFL is the owner of that content, ABC is the owner of the broadcast rights.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes you should. I am hoping for a list of DMA's which can receive it today.

Scott, Will you also ask if those of us with ABC distant network waivers will be able to see it automatically, of if we have to call Dish to be authorized?

This is very interesting if this turns out to be true. I will have the Super Bowl in HD through my OTA antenna, but if I am able to get this special broadcast it may give us a clue as to what the HD locals may end up looking like.

But if Dish doesn't give us the SB in HD, at least I'll still get to see it in HD with my 811's OTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)