The three things stopping me from switching back to Dish Network.

It is against the law. There are rules for receiving channels in your own market. Sure, those rules are not set by DISH or DIRECT. Who is being harmed? The local channels you should be getting, so yes, it is against the law. Those local channels 'own' the market where you live and you are violating their rights. Dish and Direct can't offer these channels because it is against the law - or they would.

You may think its no big deal, and in the grand scheme of life, it is not, but it is still wrong.

I dont think Dish really cares where you live as long as you are the one telling them.

My biggest beef is i BELIEVE you should be able to see LOCAL channels for the State you LIVE in. That is where i pay taxes and vote for my politicians. Give me my DMA channels but let me WATCH my state college team and see what kind of JOB the people i have to vote for are doing. OKIES dont like to watch Texas foootball!!

LOL; your own poilticians wrote these laws, or their predecessors.

It is against the law. There are rules for receiving channels in your own market. Sure, those rules are not set by DISH or DIRECT. Who is being harmed? The local channels you should be getting, so yes, it is against the law. Those local channels 'own' the market where you live and you are violating their rights. Dish and Direct can't offer these channels because it is against the law - or they would.

You may think its no big deal, and in the grand scheme of life, it is not, but it is still wrong.

Oh well! Guess I’m going to prison for having out of market locals! :rolleyes:

There are rules for receiving channels in your own market.

So why are the RULES not the SAME for all. Lets take Guymon, OK the DMA is Amarillo, TX. The local CABLE company give THEIR customers both Amarillo, tx and OKC locals. Why can't the DISH and DTV have the same options? I dont vote for anyone from Amarillo, TX. I would like to be able to see what kind of JOB the people i vote for are doing.

So why are the RULES not the SAME for all. Lets take Guymon, OK the DMA is Amarillo, TX. The local CABLE company give THEIR customers both Amarillo, tx and OKC locals. Why can't the DISH and DTV have the same options? I dont vote for anyone from Amarillo, TX. I would like to be able to see what kind of JOB the people i vote for are doing.

Same here where I'm at the local cable includes 1 extra channel CBS out of Omaha when we are being force fed locals out of Sioux Falls SD only on Dish. How does the cable company get away with it? Our DMA is Sioux Falls. Maybe just nobody has complained...Not sure.

Same here where I'm at the local cable includes 1 extra channel CBS out of Omaha when we are being force fed locals out of Sioux Falls SD only on Dish. How does the cable company get away with it? Our DMA is Sioux Falls. Maybe just nobody has complained...Not sure.

Sounds like it’s time to “move” :biggrin

Cable companies had a bigger lobby back when these archaic rules were written. New Hampshire, I believe (maybe Vermont), has gotten itself a provision in the telecommunications law where their citizens do get to have in state locals regardless of their DMA.

Amarillo also covers counties in north eastern New Mexico in their DMA and several southern counties in New Mexico have either Midland/Odessa or El Paso locals in their DMA.

Southwestern Colorado counties are on the Albuquerque DMA.

Lots of nonsense out there.

Cable companies had a bigger lobby back when these archaic rules were written. New Hampshire, I believe (maybe Vermont), has gotten itself a provision in the telecommunications law where their citizens do get to have in state locals regardless of their DMA.

Amarillo also covers counties in north eastern New Mexico in their DMA and several southern counties in New Mexico have either Midland/Odessa or El Paso locals in their DMA.

Southwestern Colorado counties are on the Albuquerque DMA.

Lots of nonsense out there.

It's two specific counties in Vermont that get dual DMA coverage. Bennington County is in the Albany, NY DMA and Windham County is in the Boston, MA DMA. Senator Pat Leahy put through legislation that allowed those two counties to also receive the in state Burlington, VT DMA.

Reactions: pattykay
It's two specific counties in Vermont that get dual DMA coverage. Bennington County is in the Albany, NY DMA and Windham County is in the Boston, MA DMA. Senator Pat Leahy put through legislation that allowed those two counties to also receive the in state Burlington, VT DMA.
Don't forget WMUR statewide in New Hampshire. Also, although I am not sure if Dish uses them, there are specific provisions allowing two counties in Mississippi that are designated for Louisiana locals to also get some channels from Mississippi, and allowing four counties in Oregon that are designated for out-of-state locals to get some channels from Portland.

Reactions: NYDutch
A link to some proposals (that never made it through Congress) that were addressed at solving some of the specific issues mentioned earlier in this thread:
Past Legislation: 114th Congress and Previous | U.S. Copyright Office

111th Congress:
  • Four Corners Television Access Act of 2009
  • To amend section 119 of title 17, United States Code, to allow the secondary transmission to any subscriber in State of Oklahoma ...

Don't forget WMUR statewide in New Hampshire. Also, although I am not sure if Dish uses them, there are specific provisions allowing two counties in Mississippi that are designated for Louisiana locals to also get some channels from Mississippi, and allowing four counties in Oregon that are designated for out-of-state locals to get some channels from Portland.

I knew there are some other cross fed channels, but I didn't know which ones. Thanks for the update!

Reactions: pattykay
For my previous job I dealt with a few of the local TV stations in Buffalo and Rochester, plus the news operation from Time Warner. While none of this pertained to my job, being a geek I tend to notice these things while walking through the studios and back rooms. Not a single Monster or other fancy super-duper gold plated, hyperspace oxidized octo-shielded boutique cable. It was 99% Monoprice.

In 2011, when I purchased most of my current audio/video equipment, between CAT6 ethernet, whatever HDMI standard supports 3D and a toslink cable, I spent less than $50 total on all of my cabling needs. If it's good enough for professional TV production, it's good enough for me.

Of course there are a lot more channels available now, but "back in the day", we use to have a lot of fun signal/satellite hopping with our 15' Hughes steerable C-band dish. My wife really loved getting the Canadian feed of her favorite soap a day ahead of the US feed! Her friends couldn't figure out how she knew so accurately what was going to happen next... :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)