Status
Please reply by conversation.

toucan-man

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Wisconsin
Another thread... Another time.... :cool:
My 2 cents: a great starter package would include a nice reliable motor (yeah I know, not an option and I can dream on)...
I'm with northgeorgia, an H-to-H motor that can handle whatever dish you throw at it (1.8 Prodelin ?), that's a nice dream to have to hope to come true. What else you guys dreaming of ?

I know it's been brought up before but a dual output cband lnb would be awesome. There isn't a ton of affordable options, two norsat 8115's and a chapparel is pricy.

UDL

I'm with northgeorgia, an H-to-H motor that can handle whatever dish you throw at it (1.8 Prodelin ?)

Any reason not to buy products already available?

This might also be a good DIY as the market is very small for this type of application. How about building a polar mount with a 2 3/8 tube on two sets of sealed bearings and uses a linear actuator (18" or 24") motor?

A traditional HH motor powered by 13/18Vdc and 250mA isn't mechanically suited for lifting or to safely handle wind loading. A linear actuator with 24-36Vdc and well designed pivot structure would be safer and robust.

Have a CES meeting scheduled a with a UK company that sells this type of mount. Will check on import.

Take a look at these configurations for ideas: http://www.primesat.eu/satellite_dish_polar_mounts.php

Last edited:
I know it's been brought up before but a dual output cband lnb would be awesome. There isn't a ton of affordable options, two norsat 8115's and a chapparel is pricy. UDL

We will test the market with the C1-PLL. If it sells well, then would consider investing the 10k RD for a dual output (takes a lot of sales to start making a profit)!

Price of unit and cost of international shipping are the main factors for most of the C-120 flange LNB/feedhorn assemblies. The feedhorns can be had for a reasonable price if you watch EB. It is the LNB/LNBF for the horns that are the pricey item. A "bullet with C-120 flange would be great, even better would be a dual output PLL with flange.

Any reason not to buy products already available?

A traditional HH motor powered by 13/18Vdc and 250mA isn't mechanically suited for lifting or to safely handle wind loading. A linear actuator with 24-36Vdc and well designed pivot structure would be safer and robust.
What's your opinion of the AJAK idea? Modern day marketable, or a thing of the past ? I didn't mean 13/18 250mA doohickey, but something to go with that gizmo you just started selling.

What's your opinion of the AJAK idea? Modern day marketable, or a thing of the past ? I didn't mean 13/18 250mA doohickey, but something to go with that gizmo you just started selling.

Great design that is well engineered and uses standard technology supported by any actuator controller. Not sure how it would be improved. The ASC1 would control it quite well! :D

Sorry, That flew right over my head.... AJAK.

It was profitable to have a small portion of the actuator industry when over 10,000 motors were being shipped per month. Recently talked with a major motor supplier, they now only ship 30 - 50 linear actuator motors on a good month. Think that an AJAK market is too limited for anyone other than a hobbyist with a second job to produce a few units each month for friends and the love of it... How many people would retrofit a polar mount with an AJAK? Too few, I am afraid...

No, I meant AJAK. No longer made, right ? Insufficient market to justify a revival ?

Pendragon used to say quite frequently that there were TONS of Ajaks laying in Colorado junkyards. Seems to me it might be interesting for somebody to make some phone calls, and take a trip out there to acquire as many as he can. Might make sense for a small side business of restoration and resale for a younger person. They are really quite simple, and it appears to me from looking at mine that I got off of Ebay that they were probably developed as a garage engineering project. A machine shop could easily duplicate one, and perhaps even improve it a bit.

Ti,

How about a receiver with a spectrum analyzer mode. Built in to my living room FTA box would be superior to the existing hand held device or computer card.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts