The tree or D*

David St

Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
My problem started on a pleasant but humid August afternoon. The Dish installer was prompt at 1:00 to install my new 622 and take away my 811 and 522. The first warning of a problem was when he said that he couldn't site the 129 satellite due to trees. My reception of my locals off of 105 has been shakey the past couple of weeks and now I had a possible cause. He said he could still install the 622 and I would be able to get HD without a problem. I hesitated because I thought maybe I was getting a sell job (turns out I was). He would have to use the same Superdish I have been using due to the tree issue. I decide "Go for it". Eight hours later, we are both tired of seeing each other. He called his supervisor who came out to the house. He agreed that the only possible solution would be to hook up the 522 again and use the same dish. The tree would have to go if I wanted to get to use the 622 (I do live in the middle of a forested area in southeastern Ohio.) He also suggested I might look into D* because its sattelites are at a different elevation in the sky.
Long story made short: they left the 522 and the only thing that shows up on my television is the header when I switch channels. The installer left my house at 10:00 last night promising he would make it right. Needless to say, I haven't heard from him today.
My question is: should I get the tree cut(assuming the supervisor is correct about what tree needs to go) and go for the 622 or should D* become my new best friend? Whatcha think?

129 is 24 degrees west of the 105 satellite I say bullsh*t. I can't see what they could see but I think you may need some real installers out there.

129 is 24 degrees west of the 105 satellite I say bullsh*t. I can't see what they could see but I think you may need some real installers out there.

I'm inclined to agree with the supervisor. Yes...the 129 is further west, but c'mon...it's also incredibly low (approx 21 degrees) in elevation compared to the 105. Another option is the 61.5. The problem with that is you will sacrifice your Columbus locals since they come in on the 129 and (the soon to be defunct) 105.

EDIT: To the OP, what part of SE Ohio are you located in?

Last edited:
I live in Athens, OH. My locals come from Charleston WV. The supervisor said that he could get me the locals and HD without the 129 but it would require two dishes. My roof already looks like a COMSAT relay station!:D

My problem started on a pleasant but humid August afternoon. The Dish installer was prompt at 1:00 to install my new 622 and take away my 811 and 522. The first warning of a problem was when he said that he couldn't site the 129 satellite due to trees. My reception of my locals off of 105 has been shakey the past couple of weeks and now I had a possible cause. He said he could still install the 622 and I would be able to get HD without a problem. I hesitated because I thought maybe I was getting a sell job (turns out I was). He would have to use the same Superdish I have been using due to the tree issue. I decide "Go for it". Eight hours later, we are both tired of seeing each other. He called his supervisor who came out to the house. He agreed that the only possible solution would be to hook up the 522 again and use the same dish. The tree would have to go if I wanted to get to use the 622 (I do live in the middle of a forested area in southeastern Ohio.) He also suggested I might look into D* because its sattelites are at a different elevation in the sky.
Long story made short: they left the 522 and the only thing that shows up on my television is the header when I switch channels. The installer left my house at 10:00 last night promising he would make it right. Needless to say, I haven't heard from him today.
My question is: should I get the tree cut(assuming the supervisor is correct about what tree needs to go) and go for the 622 or should D* become my new best friend? Whatcha think?

TREE Loses every time with me. Actually paid to take trees down on Navy property (with their permission) back in C-BAnd 11 foot dish days. LAst year wacked 2 so I coudl get good 129 signal for my 622, haven't looked back since!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts