The True HD era has come to an end and the HD Lite era will continue!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
The year 2006 promises to be a good year for HDTV enthusiasts. There are lots of reports that predict more consumers are getting ready to jump into the High Definition arena. Whenever the term “High Definition” is mentioned, it always followed by crystal clear picture like you “have never seen before” (borrowed from HDnet). If you are new to High Definition programming, you may have heard this before but High Definition does not mean “crystal clear picture” anymore. More and providers, Satellite/Cable are cheating consumers .

The two biggest satellite providers in the U.S., DirecTv and Dish Network have taken the crystal clear picture out of High Definition (HD) programming. It is not a secret that DirecTv has downresized their HD signal for about 2-3 years now (See Table 1). It looks now like Dish Network is joining DirecTv in doing the same.

resolution.jpg

DirecTv Table 1.
Source: Dallas/Ft. Worth HDTV Bitrate Monitor

On November 16th 2005, satelliteguys reported that Dish Network had made changes to their System Table. This was reported in the Uplink Activity Report that goaliebob99 produces every Wednesday. We first reported on December 1s, 2005 that Voom 21 HD Originals will appear on Dish Network by or before CES. Satelliteguys also asked that all these channels be put at 1920x1080i in that report since the Voom HD Originals (Rainbow Media) were going to deliver them at 1920x1080i.

If was further reported by Gary Murrell that Dish Network was downresizing 9 out of 10 Voom HD channels to 1280x1080i . This has created a nightmare since it means that none of the VOOM channels will be sent to HD subscribers at 1920x1080i. We were all hoping that this was only tests done by Dish Network and that all channels will be put at the correct resolution. This has yet to happen.

Today Satelliteguys has learned from a reliable source that Dish Network is the one who is orchestrating the downresizing and not VOOM HD Originals. If it was up to Voom HD Originals all 21 VOOM Channels could be sent at 1920x1080i and at least 18mbps. But Dish Network has decided to become an HD Lite provider and cheat their customers by sending HD channels that are not True HD. This is an outrage. HD customers deserve an explanation and Dish Network should put all these channels at the correct resolution. The True HD era has come to an end and the HD Lite era will continue!

This is bad folks.. I would like to drop voom because of this.. but at the same time I dont want to hurt voom in the process. I commend Rainbow media for wanting to Keep hd in its true format

SHAME ON DISH!!! HD LITE IS NOT WANTED:) Callup CBS IN NYC so they can do there SHAME ON YOU segment on dish :)

I'm sure this has been stated in other threads, but might be worth mentioning here. What's the current programming options, to get True HD? Cable and/or OTA?

Since 1280x1080 isn't an official HD standard, shouldn't it be illegal for them to advertise it as HD?

The Voom channels (even those that were 1920x1080) already paled in quality in comparison to HDNet, but now the quality is dirt poor. Dish better not raise the $5 price once all 21 channels are up. Their behavior is disgusting.

We don't want Turd-HD

Dish Network wants to bring us all 21 VOOM HD channels. Of Course, lets analyze what Dish means by the term HD. HD = High Defecation 1280x1080i...it looks like sh*t and smells just as bad!:mad:

Well, I'm going to give it a few weeks then get rid of it. I won't pay for a damaged-quality stuff.

You've got few weeks and that's it - buhbye Dish, you will eat the sh*t you did cook for yourself.

Well when the voom channels were on voom they were "HD-Lite" with only being 1440x1080i. If dish went from 1280 to 1440 would that make you happy ;)

What a shame....I feel like if they have to down rez the quality then leave things at 1920x1080i. I would rather have a few ch's at full rez than 21 ch's of HD lite. But ...really besides OTA what other provider gives you 1920x1080i. I'm hoping that Fios comes along and saves the day...but that is a long time away. Very disappointed.

No one has yet answered the question presented:

Why go to 1280x1080i if they are already doing 3 chnls/xponder.

It doesnt make it possible to do any more anyway, so why downrez? I could see if it meant they could squeeze another channel per xponder, but it doesn't and they can't, so what really gives here?

Especially since the HD pack will stay 1920x1080i.

Are they actually trying to make VOOM look bad so that they can be justified down the road to drop them and come up with a pkg of different, though not yet launched, HD channels?

Are they assuming VOOM is an interim pkg?

That is the only conclusion I can come too. Based upon that I see the voom pkg staying a seperate pakg so they can track as the subscribers diminsh and they can cancel it out in 2-3 yrs.

Been waiting for E* to make CBS-HD West available on 129 before adding the Voom channels, but there is no way I'll pay Dish $ for HD-Lite. Glad I haven't put out the dollars for a 942 yet, this changes everything for me....:mad:

NightRyder

Are Voom coming off of Rainbow 1 @ 61.5 still HD???

I still am hoping this whole downresizing is only because of the mixture of old satellite at 129 and marginal size of Dish1000. If so, then perhaps also having a separate dish pointed 61.5 (as I do) would keep the HD format.

Can anyone of the geeks confirm the format of Voom coming off of Rainbow 1 ?????????:idea:

This is a bad situation. Many of us in here have emailed Dish Network concerning this matter, yet not one of us has received an emailed response from them. The message that is being sent to me at least is simple. "We don't care what your opinion is on this matter, just continue to send us your dollars. And if you don't, that is fine. We have millions more customers who don't understand the implications of this. We will just take their money instead."

Dish Network previously was voted #1 in customer service. Consumer confidence in them is now no longer deserved!

Last edited:
Turboff said:
Since 1280x1080 isn't an official HD standard, shouldn't it be illegal for them to advertise it as HD?
The Voom channels (even those that were 1920x1080) already paled in quality in comparison to HDNet, but now the quality is dirt poor. Dish better not raise the $5 price once all 21 channels are up. Their behavior is disgusting.

It is output by the boxes at 1920x1080i, so it is an HD standard on output, but Dish wants to downrez it before it is output :rolleyes:

sampatterson said:
It is output by the boxes at 1920x1080i, so it is an HD standard on output, but Dish wants to downrez it before it is output :rolleyes:
Well, my receiver outputs all channels in 1920x1080i, does it mean I have hundreds of HD channels??! :D

1440x1080i is not TRUE HDTV either and I will not settle for that

That is the very reason why I wasn't a Voom subscriber, they were not sending TRUE 1920x1080i HDTV either

I hear Dish is getting LOTS of calls and emails about this

Dish Network had 4 Vooms up in 1920x1080i, with over 17 Mbps Video and they looked DAMN good, some of the BEST HDTV I have ever seen

1920x1080i is square pixels, this new 1280x1080i is using non-square pixels to make that odd resolution 16:9

-Gary

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts