The "We want full time RSN" thread

Nowadays, I'm happy as long as there are no more programming disputes.

Adding those extra HD ALTs was definitively a great thing. Personally, as long as I can watch the (MLB, NBA, NHL) game content in HD I'm good.

The reason with the cards game is they have such a large coverage area it goes beyond what FS Midwest has as a RSN.
The Cards cover places like Arkansas & Tennessee so the alt channel might be easier (and only one channel is needed then instead of say 2 or 3)

The reason with the cards game is they have such a large coverage area it goes beyond what FS Midwest has as a RSN.
The Cards cover places like Arkansas & Tennessee so the alt channel might be easier (and only one channel is needed then instead of say 2 or 3)

ty ice :) but why add dish hd channels in the 5400 range and not show the games on those channels?they are showing it on hd alt channel 448 when they could be showing the cardinals games on 5418 like it was intended for :)

Because they can open up 448 to anyone who is part of the Cardinals market regardless of what RSN they get

There are parts of Arkansas that get the Cardinals normally on an alt channel because their local RSN is FSN SW
Tennessee is the same way. They get FS Tennessee which is part of FSN South

So those folks tune to an alternate channel. Why Dish doesnt remap the channel to 418 is one of them "Dish screwing with the fans" thing

Looking at my Directv setup the game is on 3 channels
FSN MW (Cards feeds)
FSN KC (Royals feed....part time RSN on D*)
alternate channel (for the "overflow" areas noted above)
All 3 feeds are in HD

ty ice :) i have both dish and direct and dish should do the rsn in hd 24/7 and i switched to watching the game on direct much better picture on direct than dish imo :)

levibluewa said:
Last night - Giants - As - HD feed about 22 minutes into the game.

Are you able to watch both feeds, CSNBA and CSNCA in HD? Maybe one feed was in HD from the beginning

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

OK guys, I've searched around and I believe I found the correct answer for the current bandwidth situation. Note that this from the "other fourm."

Quote 1:
"James - looking at your "Dish Network HD Capacity" pie chart page, there are two full transponders dedicated to part time RSN's, thus 16 channels allowing for 16 games at a time. Dish only carries 25 total RSN's. So they would need to find room for 9 additional channels. And on your chart, you say that there are up to 24 slots available for HD. (at least for Western Arc) If they converted those 16 part-time RSN channels to full time, then used 9 more slots, they would still have up to 15 slots available for HD. They could even use an additional 5 feeds for the days that there are multiple games on a single RSN (such as CSN + for an area), and they would still have up to 10 slots available for future HD. Am I missing something? Because it would appear that they have the capacity, they are just choosing to divide the remaining bandwidth in other ways. (I know if they you go on the low end and say there are only 9 slots available it doesn't work, but the high end of 24 sure looks like there is room)"

Quote 2:
"The high end is 9 HD channels per transponder ... not a good idea, especially with sports. DISH really needs to open up another transponder before adding more channels.
The other half of the problem is the alternates. There are a lot more than 25 RSNs. DISH now has 10 alternate channels. Even IF DISH were to make all the 409-438 channels HD it would not cover all the games those channels make available.And one has to consider that even with the 24 (which would be 33 if another transponder is opened up) there needs to be room for other channels. Sure, add all the RSNs in 24/7 HD ... and then what? Never add another HD channel? DISH needs to find capacity for the future."
Uplink Activity for the Week of 6-13-11 - DBSTalk.Com

So basically, DISH probably has just enough capacity to make RSNs HD full-time, but the problem is with 9 HD channels per transponder already, the quality of the HD RSNs would look really soft and DISH would have NO more capacity to add any more national HD, which would kind of suck.

Essentially 2 things need to happen:

1. Western arc converts to 8PSK, freeing up a bunch of TPs
2. EA gets the rest of 72.7 from DIRECTV and internationals move off of 61.5 freeing up a bunch of TPs

Then Dish would have the space. But, Dish has other options like perhaps taking 4 PPVs and converting them to full time RSNs, having the 4 largest RSNs (by households) always HD, would help alleviate a lot of the JIP issues. Dish has space, but they view things like HDPPV making them more money.