The Weather Channel Not Showing Local Channels

RIRWIN1983 said:
I dident start this post to get bashed or treated like im stupid. it was mearly a point i was making and was seeing if it was a temporay thing since new install, or dish is looking into it. instead of getting treated respectfully, i got the later, which will keep me from posting outher items in the future more than likely, so to all the a**holes, thanks!

I don't think anyone was treating you like you were stupid. If anything you were doing that to us.

Neutron: That's what I was thinking, if anything they could just (maybe with weather channel's help) make it so all known cities in the DMA get weather conditions listed (I think that's how the cable ones work anyway)..

That could work :)

As I had stated originaly I posted because I was both shocked and confused when I first discovered it. I hope edventluly that this issue is resolved as sugested above.

RIRWIN1983, you'll be losing a valuable tool if you leave in a huff over your treatment by a few sarcastic types.

As it is on the rest of the internet, there are those that will ridicule you for any statement that THEY see as being newbie-esque.

Roll with it, and stick around. Satellite has many other advantages over cable, and this site (and a few other sites like it) will help you get past any potholes that get in your way, and keep you abreast of gotchas and goodies before you run into them.

Take a deep breath, and enjoy the crystal clear picture compared to cable. The weather channel is one that looks especially good in comparison. Don't forget that you also lose the cheesy local ads that the local wireheads insert (If I never see another greaseball car salesman yeling at me through my TV I'll be a happy man)

Here there are two local OTA stations broadcasting continuous local weather information and forecasts on digital subchannels. Perhaps you have something similar where you live? This would eliminate the need for TWC for local information.

CDH.

RIRWIN1983 said:
As I had stated originaly I posted because I was both shocked and confused when I first discovered it. I hope edventluly that this issue is resolved as sugested above.

this was DirecTV response:
Since we are a national service provider, we are unable to offer local updates through the Weather Channel the way that local-based companies can. However, The Weather Channel broadcasts regional forecasts every ten minutes in the following intervals every hour: :08 Midwest, :18 Northeast, :28 Southeast, :38 South Central, :48 Southwest, :58 Northwest. You can also go to their web site at www.weather.com for up to the minute local weather information.

They could launch several national weather channels to cover different areas. For example, they could show the current channel plus additional ones for each region. In addition in the future they could concentrate even more on smaller regions and/or show one region 8 after the hour, another one 18 after the hour, etc. The best way to do this is to decidate certain channels just to show this info. They could show one region on the hour, another one 4 after the hour, another one 8 after the hour, etc.

With the NBC Weather Plus coming out giving national and local weather forecast from your local NBC affiliate, I believe TWC will have something to worry about in the long run. I can watch it for a little bit and our local forecaster on our local NBC affiliate will appear for a few minutes and give you a run down on our local weather and 7 day forecast. I actually like it pretty well. If you have a way of receiving digital OTA's check out your local NBC affiliate and see if they offer it.

I definetely miss TWC, Dish Weather blows. Without a map it's useless...and the temps aren't even correct...

They could put all the TWC streams up and over-compress them. Nobody would mind if it's not the best looking weather maps in the world, just give it to us...

More links explaining how the local cable companies extract local forecasts out of the Weather Channel data stream:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeatherStar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntelliStar.

Maybe someday there will be a DBS receiver with enough horsepower to emulate the "Intellistar" s/w and provide local forecasts based on ZIP code. I've also thought a 2nd Weather Channel with continous abbreviated forecasts / radar loops for maybe the top 50 metro areas would be a reasonable compromise. (Note: weather.com is not always a convenient alternative.)

Hi,

Yeah, the generic weather channel sucks. I like Dish, but on Comcast they had the "regional" weather channel and then they also had a weather channel for your city (or nearest large city). I would suggest buying a NOAA weather radio with SAME. I have 2 of them and they are great for alerting you of severe weather or snow storms,etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts