" the wheels are falling off of satellite TV"

If ATT Is doing so well with DirectTVand bundling Internet, then why did they lose so many thousands of customer this last quarter. The same as Dish

I pay twice as much for Internet thru Cox as I pay for tv thru Dish.
Are those subscriber number losses just TV/DirecTV subscribers? Meaning, even if they lost them as a TV subscriber, they still might be a customer with broadband/cellular.

The pigs we feed are just getting bigger. May be time soon for me to empty the trough.

I don't think the TV providers are the pigs if that's who you are referring to. If you are referring to the networks then I agree but unless you are going to antenna only you will always be feeding the pig in some way.

I don't think the TV providers are the pigs if that's who you are referring to. If you are referring to the networks then I agree but unless you are going to antenna only you will always be feeding the pig in some way.
Yes, the content owners.

And yes, I can reduce the amount of pig slop based on the choices I make. Right now I pay half of what I used to for TV.

Yes, the content owners.

And yes, I can reduce the amount of pig slop based on the choices I make. Right now I pay half of what I used to for TV.

You may be paying half of what you paid before but you are still paying certain networks. You're just able to pay the ones you want now.

Reactions: pattykay

What? You're still not paying for just the channels you want. You're still paying for a package of channels, it's just not as big. In fact, you are paying more per channel in most cases but just fewer channels overall.

You may say don't feed the pig yet you're always feeding the pig, just not all of the pigs.

AT&T is not doing well. They never should have bought DirecTV. Instead, they should have turned U-verse into a OTT product like DirecTV Now, and invested the other $48 billion on expanding their fiber footprint. Some of AT&T's customers might be doing well, by bundling wireless, TV, and Internet, but the company is not killing it. All of that said, I am an AT&T wireless and Fiber Internet customer, and I am very happy, but I get the impression what I place value on differs significantly from many other customers. Hence the stream of people switching to OTT TV and T-Mobile wireless.

ATT is doing just fine, they are about to close on the Time Warner deal, that includes a bunch of cable channels, Warner Brothers Films, HBO, DC Comics, etc, etc, content is still king, look at the monster that Comcast has become after taking over Universal.

You may say don't feed the pig yet you're always feeding the pig, just not all of the pigs.
Let's break it out into separate pigs. Pick one, say, Disney.

I'm paying for some of their channels, but not all of them. I'm not paying for ABC, nor ESPN suite, but I am paying for ABC Family, A&E, Lifetime, etc...
NewsCorp: Nat Geo, FX, but no Fox Sports, Fox News, FOX network, etc.

So, yeah, I am paying each pig less per pig.

ATT is doing just fine, they are about to close on the Time Warner deal, that includes a bunch of cable channels, Warner Brothers Films, HBO, DC Comics, etc, etc, content is still king, look at the monster that Comcast has become after taking over Universal.

I'm not saying they are going to go out of business or anything, but they are not making smart business decisions. They way overpaid for DirecTV in a time of declining linear TV viewership. TW looks good on paper, but it isn't worth what they are paying for it IMHO. The fact that DC Comics is listed as an asset kind of sums it up for me. Everything has become so over-valued, it isn't funny any more.

The one thing everyone wants is good Internet access (including wireless data). AT&T could have focused on that, like T-Mobile who is stealing their customers, instead of getting distracted by expensive side projects. How many million more monthly paying customers could they serve if they had spent the billions on that instead of DirecTV, a product which they are losing money on by all accounts.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they are going to go out of business or anything, but they are not making smart business decisions. They way overpaid for DirecTV in a time of declining linear TV viewership. TW looks good on paper, but it isn't worth what they are paying for it IMHO. The fact that DC Comings is listed as an asset kind of sums it up for me. Everything has become so over-valued, it isn't funny any more.

The one thing everyone wants is good Internet access (including wireless data). AT&T could have focused on that, like T-Mobile who is stealing their customers, instead of getting distracted by expensive side projects. How many million more monthly paying customers could they serve if they had spent the billions on that instead of DirecTV, a product which they are losing money on by all accounts.

And have they made any attempt to improve DirecTV to make it more appealing to customers?

I laugh every time a DTV ad comes on during the World Series. Although I will say, Dish has zero ads going

And have they made any attempt to improve DirecTV to make it more appealing to customers?

I laugh every time a DTV ad comes on during the World Series. Although I will say, Dish has zero ads going

Well, they're, uh, giving it away at a loss to unlimited wireless subscribers. Does that count?

Ironically, the place I see the most Dish commercials is on Dish-inserted ads. I already pay for the service, why are you spending money advertising to me?

Well, they're, uh, giving it away at a loss to unlimited wireless subscribers. Does that count?

Ironically, the place I see the most Dish commercials is on Dish-inserted ads. I already pay for the service, why are you spending money advertising to me?
Because it's free

I had to call DirecTV for a co-worker today to help her replace a Mini client. The HDMI port had failed. Long story short, I was transferred twice, had an 8-minute wait, and then they interrogated me on how I knew the port had failed. "Has a tech been out? How do you know it's failed?" It's the same lousy customer service you get with ATT landlines. It's awful. I will never, ever, ever give DirecTV any money. She also tells me that their billing is unpredictable and all over the place.

It makes me squirm to think that Dish might be bought up by a telco. I really fear that whoever that telco is might screw it all up just like ATT has done.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)