The YouTube TV Thread

I know stuff someone heard from a CSR is iffy at best but there is a thread in the YouTube TV Subreddit right now saying that support told them they are rolling out the ability to choose your recording or the VOD version of episodes. A bit further down in that thread there are a couple people saying they got a popup informing them that they have this choice now. If this is true I think I might actually retire my Tivo from OTA duties and just do everything through Youtube TV. Here is an image someone posted showing the choice of DVR or VOD for the most recent episode of Walking Dead.

That's definitely a game changer, and what PS Vue always did in the 20 months I had it.

In other news, for those stuck at work on Opening Day, I just discovered you can run multiple YTTV streams simultaneously on PC. I only have two going at a time, but I assume up to three would work.

In the meantime, I just read that if you search with the word "recording" (e.g. "Big Bang Theory recording"), you can access the recorded version of the show. I haven't tested this, but it's worth a shot if you get force-fed the on-demand version.

That's definitely a game changer, and what PS Vue always did in the 20 months I had it.

In other news, for those stuck at work on Opening Day, I just discovered you can run multiple YTTV streams simultaneously on PC. I only have two going at a time, but I assume up to three would work.
In multiple tabs?

This service keeps getting better and better. I've read reports that some more channels are using 60 FPS now including the Turner nets (TBS/TNT).

Looking forward to the Final 4 Saturday in 1080/60 which should look pretty darn good.
Somehow, the lack of compression on streaming is blowing what I got from Comcast out of the water with the bit-starved down-rez stuff they sell now, changing everything to 720p and compressing the hell out of it. So glad I made the change!

Reactions: Ronnie-
In multiple tabs?
Yup. Multiple tabs in Chrome. I stumbled on it accidentally, starting a new stream while I had another already going that I didn't realize was still there in a separate window. You can mute one while listening to sound on the other, otherwise you hear the sound for both at the same time.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Another pro-tip for sports fans, I discovered in PC browser that if you want to set all your team's games to be recorded, if you click on the three vertical dots in the listing in your Library (for a single game recording) or in a live game in the Home screen area, you have the option of selecting one of the teams playing in addition to the specific game. It will then record that team's games on any network they appear, which I've confirmed by checking the scheduled recordings this week for my team, which plays on FS1 tomorrow instead of the usual RSN.

I'm also happy to report YTTV didn't miss a single pitch of my team's opening day game that went to 12 innings in the live broadcast recording.

I noticed on my 2017 LG, the YTTV built in app has everything 30fps.
I wonder if the app regardless device will be updated to 60fps.
Someone had already posted TBS and TNT on Roku have been switched to 60fps. Makes a big difference.
Sadly my service ends in 2 days but I’ll revisit as I get closer to the end of my Directv contract.
As of now, this YTTV is in the lead big time.

I am holding out hope that Amazon and Google will make friends again so I can get a YTTV app on Fire Stick. I don’t want to buy other streamers just for YTTV and we use the Fire Stick a lot for Dish Anywhere

I noticed on my 2017 LG, the YTTV built in app has everything 30fps.
I wonder if the app regardless device will be updated to 60fps.
Someone had already posted TBS and TNT on Roku have been switched to 60fps. Makes a big difference.
Sadly my service ends in 2 days but I’ll revisit as I get closer to the end of my Directv contract.
As of now, this YTTV is in the lead big time.
That's odd, and I'll check again when I get home, but I also have a 2017 lg, and I get 60 fps on the channels I've checked that offer them elsewhere.

Unless I am mistaken. I'll update monday.

That's odd, and I'll check again when I get home, but I also have a 2017 lg, and I get 60 fps on the channels I've checked that offer them elsewhere.

Unless I am mistaken. I'll update monday.

What makes this more odd the channels that are usually 1280x720/60 are showing 1280x720/30.

I have both YTTV & Vue. Even though I like everything in YTTV, picture quality is little better in Vue than YTTV in my Apple 4K tv. I can see the different and that holding me back to cancel Vue. Going to continue one more month with both & decide.

Last edited:
I have both YTTV & Vue. Even though I like everything in YTTV, picture quality is little better in Vue than YTTV in my Apple 4K tv. I can see the different and that holding me back to cancel Vue. Going to continue one more month with both & decide.
I hear you. If YTTV hadn't added the Time Warner channels while keeping me at the $35 price, I would've seriously considered going back to Vue partly over picture quality issues. YTTV isn't bad, and there's a lot to be said for the stability, but PlayStation Vue, which I had for 20 months, had a noticeably better picture on PS4, especially important for watching sports.

Have not tried YTTV yet ( until they have Food Network I never will), but I found that DirecTV Now had a better picture then Vue, but we still have Vue because of the DVR.

Have not tried YTTV yet ( until they have Food Network I never will), but I found that DirecTV Now had a better picture then Vue, but we still have Vue because of the DVR.
Having tried them all, I found vue to be the best for pq, with D now and Yttv to be about equal, and pretty close to Vue.

Sling I've found to be the worst by a decent margin. HULU kind of split between d now and sling.

Probably too many factors for us all to get the same results.

I hear you. If YTTV hadn't added the Time Warner channels while keeping me at the $35 price, I would've seriously considered going back to Vue partly over picture quality issues. YTTV isn't bad, and there's a lot to be said for the stability, but PlayStation Vue, which I had for 20 months, had a noticeably better picture on PS4, especially important for watching sports.

Yes $35 is the reason I subscribed YTTV last month and I really liking their interface in all the devices. I tried it on Apple 4K, Roku Ultra, Sony Android tv, mobile, tablet and loving it. I have been using Vue for more than 2 years and no complain as of now. I don’t see big difference in pq when I watch it on 60” Samsung 4K, but I do see the difference when I watch it on
75” Sony hdr 4K.

Reactions: Zookster
YTTV launched in my area (Columbia SC), but is missing some of the key channels me and my fiancee like. If they had such channels as ID and a few others I would give it a shot as they have all our local channels. For now Philo still wins out.

YTTV launched in my area (Columbia SC), but is missing some of the key channels me and my fiancee like. If they had such channels as ID and a few others I would give it a shot as they have all our local channels. For now Philo still wins out.

Be happy they at least have locals at all. Most OTT services have none!

Depends on the market. Sling is the only major OTT live TV service that is conspicuously lacking in this regard (a conscious choice on their part to keep rates down). Though it's been frustrating for some who would like to try YTTV regardless of availability of locals, YTTV is unique in that it isn't adding markets until it can offer all if not most locals.

They all have locals except for Sling, it would be better written if you said they do not have locals in all areas ( where I live D-Now, Vue, Hulu and You Tube have all my locals).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)