The YouTube TV Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
https://slickdeals.net/f/10023732-y...-free-trial-free-google-chromecast-with-35-mo

YouTube TV launches Wednesday, offering a "skinny bundle" of about 50 live TV networks online for $35 a month, starting in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and the San Francisco. The service includes a 30-day free trial, and the company will throw in a free Google Chromecast streaming device, worth $35, after your first payment (i.e. after the second month). https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/yout...llennials/

At launch, you'll use either the new YouTube TV app (for iOS or Android) or the web-based interface to access the new service. Ironically, the only way to get YouTube TV onto an actual TV set is with a Chromecast -- there aren't apps for the Apple TV or other set-top boxes or consoles yet. Google says they'll come, but for now the website and app will be the primary way to interact with YouTube TV.

Youtube TV's DVR function offers an unlimited amount of cloud storage and will save recordings for nine months at a time.

Edit: Looks like its not worth it yet, a lot of channels are missing. Obviously is something new.

Yeah, no Viacom, which I can live without, and no Turner Broadcasting System channels, which I can't live without. Even if it was it my area, no way I would do a 30-day trial without major media streaming device support.

Yeah, no Viacom, which I can live without, and no Turner Broadcasting System channels, which I can't live without. Even if it was it my area, no way I would do a 30-day trial without major media streaming device support.

No AMC either which is a must have.

Also Chromecast only is idiotic, read the other day that Roku is the best selling streaming player by a big margin over the other devices (Apple, Chromecast, Nvidia, etc).

Waiting to see what Hulu Live has to offer, still very happy with Vue but I would jump in a second for a better service/price.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

No AMC either which is a must have.

Also Chromecast only is idiotic, read the other day that Roku is the best selling streaming player by a big margin over the other devices (Apple, Chromecast, Nvidia, etc).

Waiting to see what Hulu Live has to offer, still very happy with Vue but I would jump in a second for a better service/price.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

In the CNET article it shows the AMC networks as "coming soon." https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/youtube-tv-mobile-phone-streaming-millennials/
Given that other device support is "coming soon" as well, according to the article, it seems YouTube was rushing to get its service into the market before it's fully ready.

I agree, Vue still really offers the best options. It is the middle ground between the larger packages and the SlingTV bundles, which allows you different levels of programming for decent pricing. And you get the On Demand streaming access. Unforunate Vue lost Viacom, but it seems like only SlingTV has Viacom at the moment in IP land.

I agree, Vue still really offers the best options. It is the middle ground between the larger packages and the SlingTV bundles, which allows you different levels of programming for decent pricing. And you get the On Demand streaming access. Unforunate Vue lost Viacom, but it seems like only SlingTV has Viacom at the moment in IP land.

Directv Now has Viacom channels as well. Here's a new comparison grid for the four major services, including YouTube:
http://cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue-vs-youtube-tv-break/

Well this is enough for me not to try YouTube TV out.

YouTube TV Will Force You to Watch Ads on Many DVR’d Shows

If a show is available on-demand, then viewers won’t be able to skip ads, even if they recorded the episode on DVR

https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-tv-will-force-you-to-watch-ads-on-many-dvrd-shows-1491842805

If YouTube TV does have the on-demand version then it won’t let its subscribers watch a recorded version that allows for ad-skipping. Instead, viewers will be forced to watch the on-demand episode and all of the ads, even though consumers thought they saved the show on their DVR.

A YouTube spokeswoman confirmed the arrangement and said it is “tied to deals” with TV programmers. Of course, if the on-demand version doesn’t exist, the YouTube TV subscriber will be able to watch a recorded version and skip ads. Some TV executives said that YouTube’s arrangement is new, and that even Dish Network Corp.’s Sling TV streaming competitor won’t have that stipulation as it rolls out its cloud DVR service.

Some TV executives indicated that this DVR arrangement is something they’ll push for in future deals with new streaming services offering a package of channels. While it isn’t possible to put the DVR genie back in the bottle for traditional cable customers, TV networks are hopeful they can train viewers to expect ads at least in on-demand, current-season shows they stream.

With this DVR limitation and the poor channel offerings, I'm beginning to wonder if YouTube's service will ever gain footing in the market.

I am trying it out at Los Angeles since it has 1 month free. So far I have been able to skip every show I recorded. And with unlimited dvr, you could just record every single show. The way that it sets up you cannot record just 1 episode. You record the entire show every episode (season pass?). I wish you could adjust the skip length. Right now it is 10 sec on PC and 15 sec on Android app. BTW, AMC is now part of the channel lineup. I like the interface, it is really fast.. youtube has a good server.

I am trying it out at Los Angeles since it has 1 month free. So far I have been able to skip every show I recorded. And with unlimited dvr, you could just record every single show. The way that it sets up you cannot record just 1 episode. You record the entire show every episode (season pass?). I wish you could adjust the skip length. Right now it is 10 sec on PC and 15 sec on Android app. BTW, AMC is now part of the channel lineup. I like the interface, it is really fast.. youtube has a good server.

Okay after about 1.5 week of testing, I did find shows that you cannot skip commercials. They are not airing the normal commercials but the on-demand type.. about 2 min. The same ones they show on CW app.

Got email today about going live in Birmingham.
Sadly only 30fps.

Edit: I'm trying out the free trial and the interface is interesting. If I could view it on more than a iPhone or iPad I'm thinking I would be impressed.
I believe more devices are supposed to be supported later this year.
Now to the 30fps. I don't see any judder or stuttering even on channels such as ESPN scrolling the bottom ticker. This could be the iPhone and may need to view on tv to see a real difference. Watching live sports was very fluid and no jerky frames. Very promising so far.....on a small screen.

Last edited:

About Roku, PS Vue has a sh!tty app on it and Hulu Live is not available yet so that's just bad business. PS Vue offers decent packages but with the lousy Roku App and no History, it can be beat. My pick to win is DTV Now which I see myself buying one day when football can be DVR.

YouTube could one day take over as they are part of Google which is very deep state, cronies.that don't have to play by the rules.

Reactions: buckeyebrian
About Roku, PS Vue has a sh!tty app on it and Hulu Live is not available yet so that's just bad business. PS Vue offers decent packages but with the lousy Roku App and no History, it can be beat. My pick to win is DTV Now which I see myself buying one day when football can be DVR.

YouTube could one day take over as they are part of Google which is very deep state, cronies.that don't have to play by the rules.

Unfortunately, they have marketed their service to customers who only watch TV on their phone. I would NEVER consider a service that could not be streamed on Roku and/or FireTV.

I considered doing a 30-day trial just to gain access to CBS Sports Network for part of the college football season. But now that Vue has added the channel, there's no need to watch the big game on the small handheld screen. :D

YouTube would never be a viable option for me, even if it was on every device and offered a completely unshackled DVR experience, as long as it doesn't carry the Warner-owned networks.

YouTube TV Goes Live on Roku Players, Roku TVs

YouTube TV Goes Live on Roku Players, Roku TVs | Multichannel

Following some apparent fits and starts, YouTube TV has launched an app for select Roku streaming player models and all integrated Roku TV models.

YouTube TV, Google’s OTT TV service that starts at $35 per month, is supported on the following Roku device models: Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Streaming Stick (3800x and 3600x), Roku Express/Express+ (3910x, 3900x, 3710x, 3700x), Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku 4, Roku 3 (4200x, 4230x, and Roku 2 (4210x).

YouTube TV Goes Live on Roku Players, Roku TVs

YouTube TV Goes Live on Roku Players, Roku TVs | Multichannel

Following some apparent fits and starts, YouTube TV has launched an app for select Roku streaming player models and all integrated Roku TV models.

YouTube TV, Google’s OTT TV service that starts at $35 per month, is supported on the following Roku device models: Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Streaming Stick (3800x and 3600x), Roku Express/Express+ (3910x, 3900x, 3710x, 3700x), Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku 4, Roku 3 (4200x, 4230x, and Roku 2 (4210x).
Great news!

I figured it had to be close to launch, as the cast option that allowed you to use roku by mistake had vanished yesterday.

I just signed up. No longer a 30-day trial ... just 7 days now. As much as I hate losing channels like CNN, TBS, and TNT, PS Vue dropped my local Fox, and YouTube TV has that along with my local CW. We'll see how the trial goes; it would be nice to be able to make a decision before I get charged again for PS Vue on Feb. 3. Maybe I'll cancel anyway with fingers crossed.

I just signed up. No longer a 30-day trial ... just 7 days now. As much as I hate losing channels like CNN, TBS, and TNT, PS Vue dropped my local Fox, and YouTube TV has that along with my local CW. We'll see how the trial goes; it would be nice to be able to make a decision before I get charged again for PS Vue on Feb. 3. Maybe I'll cancel anyway with fingers crossed.
Can always cancel and then reup later.

Personally, I have been pleased. There are a couple of channels that I did watch on occasion that are not on there, but nothing I just have to have.

I spent a little while with the Roku app and it's definitely a bit simple: no way to advance to future dates in guide, channels grouped by subject category so SyFy ends up in limbo, and no way to set favorites, like in PS Vue. You can browse a transparent guide that overlays your program, which is accessed while watching live and hitting the down arrow and selecting the live guide button or hitting the left arrow in the upper left of the remote. PQ looked good on my Fox RSN (watching a college basketball game replay). My CW programs appear to be on demand rather than live, which likely means I can't fast-forward commercials.

To save $10/mo, get my Fox affiliate (along with 2-3 other channels I don't get on Vue), and get YouTube Red in the bargain may be worth sacrificing the Time Warner channels. I'll definitely give it a month. My biggest concern is sports, but I'm not that big of an NBA fan, and my RSN shows all my MLB team's games, so don't need TBS for those. And I can catch up with any shows (though there aren't any at the moment) during a month with Hulu.