Theaters are boycotting Netflix’s first feature film, which is great for Netflix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Theaters are boycotting Netflix’s first feature film, which is great for Netflix http://qz.com/526947/theaters-are-b...lm-which-is-great-for-netflix/?utm_source=YPL
Summer is always important for the movie business, and this past one was the second-biggest ever for ticket sales.Studios succeeded by doing what they do best: recombinant franchise films featuring superheroes and beasts. Jurassic World helped Universal dominate box office totals, gobbling up US$1.65 billion worldwide. Meanwhile, the latest Marvel installments, Avengers and Ant Man, together reaped around $2 billion.Get used to this model. Universal will drop the next Jurassic installment in 2018, while Disney, which controls the Marvel cinematic universe, will hatch around a dozen synergistic superhero flicks over the next five years.Yet the biggest industry news of the summer didn’t emerge from the chain megaplexes and their monster grosses.Director Cary Fukunaga’s Beasts of No Nation opened to rave reviews at the Venice and Toronto film festivals. But more than the film’s style or premise, it’s the business model that has raised eyebrows around Hollywood.Rather than have a limited theatrical release, the low-budget film will be mostly skipping theaters altogether, and will instead stream directly to Netflix subscribers.Could it be a game-changer? Might it threaten the oligopolistic model through which the big studios and megaplex theater chains–AMC, Regal, Cinemark and Carmike (all boycotting Beasts)–have come to dominate the industry?
If in wrong section please move and I apologize!! :)

I consider Netflix a "premium channel" like HBO or Showtime, so I don't see any difference in Netflix making movies and the various networks who have been making movies for decades now. None of those movies made it to theaters, why would a Netflix movie matter?

HDNet Movies has been doing day-and-date releases for years. Steven Soderbergh comes to mind. Big chains don't like that. But they don't like low budget movies anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I consider Netflix a "premium channel" like HBO or Showtime, so I don't see any difference in Netflix making movies and the various networks who have been making movies for decades now. None of those movies made it to theaters, why would a Netflix movie matter?
Maybe a sloppy seconds channel but not premium

Reactions: Radioguy41
Maybe a sloppy seconds channel but not premium
I consider Netflix a "premium channel" because of their in-house tv series, not because of all of the old stuff they have available. They have some series that are as good, or better than anything else on tv, premium channel or not.

And let's be honest. HBO, Showtime, etc. have been showing some pretty old films lately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts