TheList

Status
Please reply by conversation.
the frequencies may be off by 1 or 2 due to LNB drift and that's ok :)

That's nice to know... but why would you take that attitude when the carrier provides us with the correct and actual frequencies used instead? I was under the impression that we were striving for accuracy... thus the reason for the list. With that said, why bother to provide updates the list if this is the opinion taken by the mod(s). That being the case no more updates from me since close enough seems to be the standard here, and furthermore why bother if one’s hard work and time spent on research is not going to be appreciated.

Correct frequencies are strived for, to be sure.
However, in the absence of official frequency info, a close freq from a blind scan is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

AND, an update carries a lot more valuable info than just the frequency.
... all of which would come from a volunteer blind-scanning a bird and supplying info.

So, I don't really see any conflict between the two views. - :up
I can appreciate both.

Chill Holmes. No need to get all upset. All I said is each LNB may scan differently so if it’s off by one that’s ok. Usually when I say that people take it as a learning experience. It mainly is due to LNB drift. When I scan G10, I’ve seen the transponder scan in at 11798, 11799 & 11800 when according to Gas at Equity Broadcasting, it’s technically 11800 but I don’t see him jumping down my throat because I said that.

If you don’t want to post updates, that’s fine. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying “you need to post Hispasat updates to us”. We do appreciate the updates but when the original file was updated, that’s the frequencies that whoever updated it pulled up. Some of which were your updates. So obviously your receiver was off by one or two. But no need to get all upset and decide to attack a mod here. Qwert1515 is the one who makes the final decision as he does the updates for thelist so it’s up to him. Most of the updates come from updated files from Channelmaster that are sent to him.

Qwert1515 is the one who makes the final decision as he does the updates for thelist so it’s up to him.

Thanks Textin, I will wait for Iceberg's scan and check it against the new information you provided.

Looks to me like he waits for your approval before making a decision.

Again my point is we get the actual published frequencies from the carrier so why the resistance to correctly update them?

two words: vollenteer's time. Unless one is paid to update the list, then the minor corrections can wait to be made. (no mater how I try the spelling will not look right.)

I though Iceberg's comment about being off by a couple of numbers was an answer to me about what I saw.

I also see that there is a number for size of step in scanning that seems to make a difference in the exact numbers.

Thank you Textin for your concerns, let me see if I can explain this so that the current method makes sense:

The difference in frequencies are due to many varying factors. Here's a list of a few possibilities.

Satellite receiver frequency detection.
LNB Oscillator inaccuracies.
LNB drift due to temperature. (At Iceberg's location there is a thing called snow, where I am located we have never heard of snow :D)
Published frequencies are only theoretical or planned values, the actual frequencies can vary due to many factors.
(If you scan in the daytime vs. night time you sometimes see a difference.)

I am going to use Dish Network's 119W satellite as an example:
(I am using this satellite as an example only because I can get the theoretical frequencies very easily)
(All the below frequencies are using the same LNB and dish.)

Dish Network's NIT: 12238.580 MHz
Broadlogic: 12239.400 MHz
Coolsat:12239.000 MHz
Pansat: 12239.000 MHz

Dish Network's NIT: 12267.740 MHz
Broadlogic: 12268.500 MHz
Coolsat:12266.000 MHz
Pansat: 12267.000 MHz

As you can see from above not all receivers connected to the same dish and LNB will not agree on one frequency.

So when I do update scans if a transponder is already in the database and the current frequency and the last scanned frequency are different the two are averaged.

In the end having the frequency off by a little bit does not matter because the receiver has PLL (phase lock loop) circuitry inside that will lock on to the correct center frequency.

I hope all of this make sense, if it does not let me know and I might be able to clear up any confusions.

EDIT - Iceberg - You gave me Hispasat updates after Textin's March 25 2008 post?

Last edited:
LNB drift due to temperature. (At Iceberg's location there is a thing called snow, where I am located we have never heard of snow :D)
we also have a thing called cold as in -20F or greater :)
EDIT - Iceberg - You gave me Hispasat updates after Textin's March 25 2008 post?

could have sworn I posted it. I've tore down the Hispasat dish so I can't rescan

I am not seeing it, I hope you have it on your computer somewhere because with the amount of changes you make to your FTA setup I doubt the scan will still be on your receiver :D

Why doesn't KTWO show on the List for G10? I have it at:
12107/V/2.222 4130/4131/4130

Thanks for noticing that, The reason why it is not showing up is because I have accidentally flagged it as a feed, I will correct it tomorrow.

Regular updates have been delayed a bit because I am working on few additions to TheList and it is taking longer than I though it would, I hope to have them ready sometime next week.

I noticed that Echo 7 @ 119W has NASA at 12372 (L/H) 20000 I show it at 12372 (R/V) 20000
Bob

Printable list

Please excuse this question if I missed something in this discussion, but how often is the printable list updated?
Thanks,
Ron

Scanlon said:
Please excuse this question if I missed something in this discussion, but how often is the printable list updated?
Thanks,
Ron
No problem, the Printable List used the same database that the rest of TheList uses, so it is updated at the same time.
Last updated: (Thu Sep 4 2008)

With DVB the FEC (Forward Error Correction) rate is not required by most receiver, but it can be helpful when aligning a dish.

I have a new version of TheList that has that information plus a few other things, but it is not ready to be released yet.

With DVB the FEC (Forward Error Correction) rate is not required by most receiver, but it can be helpful when aligning a dish.

I have a new version of TheList that has that information plus a few other things, but it is not ready to be released yet.

Great! :)
It would be very helpful for those who have older receivers. When do you think the newer TheList be out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)