There is a way to make copy's from ext hard drive back to your 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thats where the EHDD power's down and you have to do a power reboot for the 622 to recognize...

Dfergie, thanks. So is a hard drive in automatic sleep mode, even if never connected to a computer? And how can you change that without using a computer on the drive, endangering the movies on it? Don't get me wrong I am computer saavy but not familiar with hard drive sleep modes and wonder if mine has one. I've never seen the light go off by itself, it seems to stay on and aunning, though I always shut it off when not in use.

"For those who care and can see the benifits of this gift from E*", I got the 448 update yesterday and tried this procedure today and it still works. I did notice over the last month or so that if you let your ext hd stay in the sleep mode too long when you go to start this procedure the list will not populate on the exthd, the work around is to disconnect exthd and start over after hd goes back to sleep. if I am in a hurry I just update the settings on the seagate to make it go to sleep in 5 minutes and that seems to work. that has been the only problem I have had doing this since august. Just remember to follow all steps exactly or it will not work. Merry Christmas to all and ask Santa for a seagate.

4.49 update....... 7 months and still working.

I just got the 449 update today on my 622 and 722 and just as I thought, this procedure still works. I did get an error message on the first try but it worked after that. This is really a great little trick to use especially if you have a pocket dish. You don't have to permantly remove your content from your hard drive "DRM" just make a copy to put on the pocket dish "SD only" I use this to load copy's on my pocket dish and then delete without regret. I have all of curb from hbo so this is a nice option.

L449 newer making copy's update

I went back and read my original procedure and have found that you don't have to wait till you get a blank screen. I have been able to do it as soon as my seagate goes into sleep mode. If I'm in a hurry I will set the seagate to go to sleep in 3 minutes and it works each time, this is the easiest way to do this because if it stays in sleep mode too long it will go to a blank menu. Sometimes I can't get mine to repopulate the list and have to start over.
here are the steps again that work in L449.
  1. put or wait till ehd is in sleep mode
  2. choose what show or shows that you want to copy
  3. restore shows back to 622 or 722
  4. exit out of ehd when done
  5. go to 622 or 722 menu and play each show copied for a few seconds
After that you will have a copy on each drive. To get the ehd back to normal just unplug power and plug back in. As far as I know this still only works with the seagate drives.

511 and still working

I thought I would bring this old chestnut back, 511 seems to have some bugs but this trick still works. One thing I would do is when it ask's if you would like to play the transfered movie hit yes and play it for a few seconds, " WARNING " I have lost a few movies when doing it in a hurry so do this with something you don't care about till you get it right. also I would do 1 show at a time, I havn't tried more than 1 in a while so not sure if it still works for more than 1 at a time. I still find this useful for use with my pocket dish for protected content that only allows 1 transfer. I have some hbo stuff that I make a copy of to send to my pocket dish and still have a copy on my ext hd. I have yet to try this with one of those 24 hr ppv's but I will soon and post the results.

It sounds like the OS restores the hooks to the original recording already on the internal HDD, sort of an undelete, not really making a copy, just undeleting the original.

It sounds like the OS restores the hooks to the original recording already on the internal HDD, sort of an undelete, not really making a copy, just undeleting the original.
If that's true then you need to explain why it take the same time to copy in either direction--too long.
And it doesn't matter if to the same or a different recorder.
-Ken

With the advent of the 211 External Hard Drive functionality, I have needed to move events from one EHD to another in order to free up a 500 GB drive for my 211. I think it's a lot easier to mount the 622's EHD on a Linux-power PC than using the "undocumented feature" mentioned here. Just let the 622 format your target drive first and then copy the folders with the events you want.

Just my 2¢ worth...

linux would be better, but for those less adept or those who would rather use windows theres some pretty good ext2/ex3 file system adapters for windows.. the one i use has let me edit files in windows when I accidentally kill my linux partition or completely hose up my grub loader (ubuntu did a number on it once).. :)

I was bored silly with charlie chat so I decided to try more than 1 transfer to see if it still worked. I grabbed 4 planet earths and copied back to my 722 it took 38 minutes to transfer back and it still works the same as always. all played normally on both the 722 and EHD with no loss of pic quality. The only thing that would make this better is if I could send HD content to my pocket dish, but maybe there's an undocumented way:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)