Thermal Failure of LNBF's and Switches

Fluid.Bob

Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
Is thermal failure of LNBF and switches really that common?? I have discussed to exhaustion with Tech support my problem with: first jumbling of closed caption, then gradually increasing pixellation, then intermittent signal loss, and switch tests that are inconsistent, with finally a total loss of 110. Any combination of receivers (two legacy 3700), S21's, and cable feeds end up failing after being powered for 5 hours or so. If I unplug the receivers every night, I can be reasonably sure things will work for most of the next evening. The receivers just being turned off does not resolve the issue. My common sense hunch is that the LNBF is just dropping dead after being powered awhile, which is a "movers kit" that looked used when installed about 1-1/2 years ago, with two Dish Pro 120810 Dual Output LNBF's. Tech support wants me to have a paid service call; to have a technician sit and wait for a problem to develop? So, before I buy a new LNBF or other equipment, I'd really appreciate hearing if anyone has witnessed this to happen. I don't know how long a hair dryer would take to heat the core of an LNBF, and day/night temperature swings are not enough. :) Thanks!!

Fluid.Bob said:
Is thermal failure of LNBF and switches really that common?? I have discussed to exhaustion with Tech support my problem with: first jumbling of closed caption, then gradually increasing pixellation, then intermittent signal loss, and switch tests that are inconsistent, with finally a total loss of 110. Any combination of receivers (two legacy 3700), S21's, and cable feeds end up failing after being powered for 5 hours or so. If I unplug the receivers every night, I can be reasonably sure things will work for most of the next evening. The receivers just being turned off does not resolve the issue. My common sense hunch is that the LNBF is just dropping dead after being powered awhile, which is a "movers kit" that looked used when installed about 1-1/2 years ago, with two Dish Pro 120810 Dual Output LNBF's. Tech support wants me to have a paid service call; to have a technician sit and wait for a problem to develop? So, before I buy a new LNBF or other equipment, I'd really appreciate hearing if anyone has witnessed this to happen. I don't know how long a hair dryer would take to heat the core of an LNBF, and day/night temperature swings are not enough. :) Thanks!!

bob, here's my suggestion - If you not not have DHPP warranty on your account have it added. that way the Trouble call price is dropped. next set up the trouble call work order with Dish. IF the DHPP is on your account then LNBs, swithes and Recievers will be covered if replacement is needed. About the older LNBs and Switch, A new DP Plus Twin will work nicely of this setup, But make sure the Service Tech grounds the system, Dish to Ground Block then to house ground, this will cut down on static build up. plus talk to the tech about the problem. tell him everthing you know about the problem, that way he can pin point your problem. :)

later

DP Dual lnbs with a Legacy 21 switch?
From your post it sounds like this was set up over 1 year ago and it is now having problems??
Both rxs having the same problem?

Is thermal failure of LNBF and switches really that common??
There seem to be a significant number of reports of that this year.

As for using a DPP-Twin, if all you have is Legacy (3700) receivers, that will NOT work. A DPP-Twin requires at least one actual DishPro box in order to get enough power. The problem arises when both Legacy receivers fall to 13V because of the transponder they want. DP does not use voltage for switching and always provides 20+VDC.

if you have easy access try dumping a bucket of ice water on the questionable parts, one at a time.

if you ask me all switches are best installed inside away from excess heat and rain

Thanks everybody

Thank for the feedback everybody. From your responses I believe I am taking the right course and replacing the LNBF with the DPP, and upgrading one receiver as necessary to power it. I have a pretty good electronics background, and since Freon TF freeze spray is a thing of the past, I got a good chuckle about using the bucket of water. After 4 half-hour phone calls with the service provider's technical people, who could be hear flipping the pages of an answer manual, it was very helpful to hear some "real life" support. Thanks again, and hopefully others will gain from this too. Bob:up

I hope it's not a problem, I have a DishPro+ 44 switch that they installed in my attic, and temps in there get hot in the summer!

2 years and counting up there, and so far so good.

Fluid.Bob said:
Thank for the feedback everybody. From your responses I believe I am taking the right course and replacing the LNBF with the DPP, and upgrading one receiver as necessary to power it. I have a pretty good electronics background, and since Freon TF freeze spray is a thing of the past, I got a good chuckle about using the bucket of water. After 4 half-hour phone calls with the service provider's technical people, who could be hear flipping the pages of an answer manual, it was very helpful to hear some "real life" support. Thanks again, and hopefully others will gain from this too. Bob:up
Dish network people do not flip through service manuals! They just have computers....you might have heard someone reading a book or magazine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts