They won't let me have the HBO Showtime promotion...

i think the hidden restriction is:
"if customer has previously had a free premium channel promotion and canceled it the day it ended and we did not even get a chance to make back one cent of the investment of the free channels, then screw him, we wont make that mistake again"

That sounds about right, and the way it should be. Somebody is paying for those channels and if it isn't the one who gets them for free then guess who it is.

I guess I don't get it. After reading the OP complaint, I went to the Dish Network website and saw the 3-month free HBO/Showtime offer. I selected to order it, and was sent to the various package offerings screen. From what I see, this offer appears to be for new customers, or possibly those willing to upgrade to a new contractual package. I did not get the impression that this offer is available for existing customers (which the OP is). Maybe I am wrong. So it appears to me that the OP is just trying to get a freebie based on the 'free' offer wording.

If you log into your account and look under offers, you will see all of the offers you are currently eligible for.

Over the years, I have periodically been eligible for Showtime and/or HBO for free 3 month periods but nothing lately.

That being said, it is common knowledge that if you ask for something from DISH there is a good chance they will give it to you, whether you are entitled to it or not....

Also, here is the wording for this offer for existing customers:

Existing DISH Network customers: requires qualifying programming package, including a minimum of Classic Bronze 100, TurboHD Bronze, DishLATINO Clásico or a select International programming package. You must either sign up for AutoPay with Paperless Billing or provide a valid email address. You will receive a credit for each of the first 3 months. After 3 months you must call to downgrade or then-current price will apply. Offer expires 1/31/10. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Customers who have received HBO or Showtime as part of a free promotion within the last 6 months are not eligible.

This matter deserves an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com.

The offer clearly states that the OP is eligible for the free HBO/Showtime offer. They need to either correct the offer language or give the OP the free service. I am in the same boat as he is, to be honest.

And who cares if Dish is making a profit or not? It was their decision to post the offer, not anyone else.

It's clearly up to Dish Network to decide what conditions apply.

If you want HBO or Showtime just call and order it and pay for it. Don't try to make everyone else pay for your channels.

i think the hidden restriction is:

"if customer has previously had a free premium channel promotion and canceled it the day it ended and we did not even get a chance to make back one cent of the investment of the free channels, then screw him, we wont make that mistake again"

How many people got the freebee and then just kept it?

Other than me of course?

I think that's why the offer it. Like a drug dealer giving you a free sample, to get you hooked. Or you just forget to cancel and never change it. Either way, ups the subs.

Asking for something that's offered is not whining. Telling people to stop whining is whining...

if he got hbo and showtime when he first signed up, then maybe it is considered part of his original promotion that he is still on if he took a dha24. perhaps they will make him wait until after 6 months from the end of his 24 motth dha commit, as he did have free hbo during his current promotional period.

This matter deserves an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com.

The offer clearly states that the OP is eligible for the free HBO/Showtime offer. They need to either correct the offer language or give the OP the free service. I am in the same boat as he is, to be honest.

And who cares if Dish is making a profit or not? It was their decision to post the offer, not anyone else.

Which part of "OTHER RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY" do you not understand. It is in the offer so they are not lying or misleading.

Typically what I see is if you have had your service for less than 18 months you will not qualify for any more freebies because the provider, Dish, Direct, cable, telco, still hasn't even broke even on you yet. It's not good business.

These companies have to answer to stock holders. If they keep giving away everything for free over and over and never get any kind of return on their investment then they will lose money and their stocks will fall.

It's a much bigger picture than just "they won't give more free stuff".

Today all the providers are dealing with increasing programming costs and they are trying to not pass those increases on to the consumer. Just look at the Time Warner/Fox battle for example. This is a big battle that is only going to get worse.

Now if people like the op keep demanding more free premiums, just because they feel they are entitled, all of us will feel this and WILL have to pay more for our basic services. This is not speculation........IT IS FACT !! The days of free are numbered. You will start seeing this on the internet side of things and it will start moving over to the TV side of things.

I do not work for Dish, but I have been in this industry for 25 years and know a little about this crazy business. I have dealt with hundreds of people like the op and I know for a fact that these kind of demands only hurt the industry.........not help.

How is everyone else paying? This isn't a physical commodity.

Because from what I'm told Dish Network has to pay the program providers per box authorized. So if Dish is paying Showtime and HBO but not charging the customer, then the rest of us (or the stockholders) end up picking up the tab.

Because from what I'm told Dish Network has to pay the program providers per box authorized. So if Dish is paying Showtime and HBO but not charging the customer, then the rest of us (or the stockholders) end up picking up the tab.

That is correct.

I would think these promos are done with the permission of the content provider, so it may not be costing Dish anything more and that may be the reason for the limitations.

As I posted in another post...you have to play Csr Rouloutte...I tried to get on on live talk on the internet 2/5 and then called dish later that night and was given free hbo/showtime for 3 months no questions asked...it just depends who you talk to

OP is back!!!

Hmmm. I subscribed to this thread when I made the original post but didn't get any emails. I thought the thread died long ago without any responses.

But it actually turned out to be quite entertaining and offers an interesting view into the mind of the slack-jawed, barefoot, backwoods, incestuous, mouth-breathing jackasses that run unconstrained throughout our beloved country...

It's really much more simple than most of the responses make it out to be:
  • They have a promo
  • As written on their website, I qualify
  • They said "tough titty little kitty, you can't have it"
damjr, do you bother to read what you write? You are a *******. Go **** yourself.

Some of you others can join him....

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't get it. After reading the OP complaint, I went to the Dish Network website and saw the 3-month free HBO/Showtime offer. I selected to order it, and was sent to the various package offerings screen. From what I see, this offer appears to be for new customers, or possibly those willing to upgrade to a new contractual package. I did not get the impression that this offer is available for existing customers (which the OP is). Maybe I am wrong. So it appears to me that the OP is just trying to get a freebie based on the 'free' offer wording.

They offered it me but I did not want it. I am existing customer.

Hmmm. I subscribed to this thread when I made the original post but didn't get any emails. I thought the thread died long ago without any responses.

But it actually turned out to be quite entertaining and offers an interesting view into the mind of the slack-jawed, barefoot, backwoods, incestuous, mouth-breathing jackasses that run unconstrained throughout our beloved country...

It's really much more simple than most of the responses make it out to be:
  • They have a promo
  • As written on their website, I qualify
  • They said "tough titty little kitty, you can't have it"
damjr, do you bother to read what you write? You are a *******. Go **** yourself.

Some of you others can join him....

My, My, aren't we a bitter one. I do read what I post. Do you read what is posted, or for that matter, read everything in the offer. Obviously not !! If you did you would of clearly seen the "OTHER RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY". You are the other restrictions A**H***.
That clause is in there for a reason. NOT EVERYONE QUALIFIES. No where in the promotion does it say "EVERYONE QUALIFIES".

Perhaps a simple explanation as to why you don't qualify would be in order. I've never taken advantage of previous HBO promos, get flyers in the mail telling me about the promo, have written on my monthly bill to call and get the promo. So I call today and am told I don't qualify. Why not? Who knows, Dish won't say, even though I am "one of their most valued customers".

It's annoying to get told repeatedly to take an offer, and then be refused the offer when I call up for it. It's even more annoying to see people like damjr somehow blame me for this. :rolleyes:

Edit: CS on Live Chat says that the promo is not available to those with Annual programming. Seems a bit strange to me, but whatever. If CS in my initial call to Dish earlier today had just stated that, I would have been fine.

Last edited:
I was told I was not eligible either due to partaking in the previous HBO/Starz promo, however because I am a "long time customer" they gave me free showtime for 3mo. so, go figure. I only called to do the promo for free HBO so I could watch "The Pacific". But can't really complain, I still hung up the phone w/ free showtime. (Which means i've doomed myself to at least 2 more calls to fix billing issues that are bound to arise from it, but it's worth it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)