They Won't Let Me Upgrade

general487

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Winfield, AL
They WILL Let Me Upgrade!

I upgraded my 811 to the 411 back in March, and now they won't let me upgrade to the 622 :mad: because they said that I must wait a year (next March) before I can upgrade again. When I asked for ANY upgrade option (any price), they said I just have to wait.

Is anybody else in this boat? I couldn't afford the 622 in March, but now I can. Guess I'll just have to wait a few more months to pay $200 to LEASE a box that I don't even OWN!!!!!!! I don't see why I can't just start leasing it now!

Last edited:
Email ceo@echostar.com (the executive office), and politely explain your situation, and make sure to include a phone number where they can contact you. I'll bet they will help you out. In many cases they can help after you get shunned by the regular CSRs.

You aren't kidding!!!! They called me within probably an hour and set up my installation for tomorrow!!! That is the way to do business!

What did they end up doing for you?

I think I am in the exact same boat as you. I upgraded an 811 to a 211 in feb. and have been wanting a DVR + dual tuner for a while. I don't even think I need an install just the box sent to me.

They wouldn't do a "send the box" deal for some reason, I tried to tell them to just send me one, but they wanted to install and since it was set up for tomorrow, there was no sense in me waiting 3 days on UPS!!!

I got the same upgrade price and everything that everyone else gets. $200 bucks for the upgrade.

I believe the limit on numbers of leased units is due in part to restricted numbers of ViP receivers being available. I gather that the supply shortage is easing.

I fully expect early next year they will stop sending out non MPEG-4 units to new subscribers. Phase out the old receivers, use stocks for warranty work. This will reduce the costs and numbers of boxes to be swapped out when they move to all MPEG-4 in 2009 or 2010. And if the sub wants to upgrade to HD later, it's a thrown switch rather than another truck roll.

navychop said:
I believe the limit on numbers of leased units is due in part to restricted numbers of ViP receivers being available. I gather that the supply shortage is easing.

I fully expect early next year they will stop sending out non MPEG-4 units to new subscribers. Phase out the old receivers, use stocks for warranty work. This will reduce the costs and numbers of boxes to be swapped out when they move to all MPEG-4 in 2009 or 2010. And if the sub wants to upgrade to HD later, it's a thrown switch rather than another truck roll.

I love sumptions'!!!! The limitation of leased units is more of a precaution based on volume in the field of equipment which hasn't been paid for. With every unit out the door there's the potential for damage and destruction of said unit. As the number of units per account increases, this becomes even more likely. Although there's also another more practical reason. That said, it's an assumption to think that the MP4 conversion will take until 2009-10. You're aiming high. I'd count on the majority of MP4 stock being a retailer's primary source of income... in the foreseeable future.

I believe in a chat 3 years was mentioned for completing the move to MPEG-4. Three years after that mention, or maybe 3 years after HD goes MPEG-4 next year. You think they'll shift even sooner??? Ahead of "schedule?"

Why would MPEG-4 equipment become a primary source of income to retailers? You think there will be a greater incentive for people to upgrade? And at their own expense? Tell me more.

Yes, there is an accounting liability, but with the up front payments made, I'm sure they are able to keep it in the footnotes as "not significant," and merged in another line item with other contingent liabilities.

williamkmurphy said:
What did they end up doing for you?

I think I am in the exact same boat as you. I upgraded an 811 to a 211 in feb. and have been wanting a DVR + dual tuner for a while. I don't even think I need an install just the box sent to me.
I had a service call due to LNB problems. The service guy thought it was the 622 so he called Dish from my phone and had a new one sent to me directly.

It turned out I had to return it as my original 622 was ok, but they did send one to me to set up myself.

Got my 622 set up by a good install guy yesterday and it is working beautifully! I can honestly say that I didn't think it would be any better than the 625 (except with HD), but I like the 622 better all around (including the HD part!).

Thanks for all your help. I guess I'd better update my signature :)

It's good to hear from a fellow happy Dish customer. We read so much negative so often. But it's just our nature to post complaints more than compliments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts