Think I have just about had enough with this 722k

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I have had a 722 for coming up on 4 yrs...never a lick of problems. I added a 722k about a year ago. It was brand new out of the box. 2 months later the hard drive dies. Fast forward to today. I had numerous issues with the receiver not allowing two OTA recordings at a time. I tried all kinds of things and it kept doing it. So the wife is ready to throw it in the yard and calls Dish to get it swapped. I backup the programs to my USB drive and backup the timers to the remote(after 10 to 15 tries). Swap in the new refurb. Restore the remote. Nope. It fails to restore my timers and favorites...arghhhhh. Restore my unwatched programs from the USB drive. Get up next morning and its locked up cold on a station. Reset. Use it for 30 minutes. Locks up where I can still watch but the remote or front buttons do nothing. It hasn't locked up today but I have to push the remote buttons 3 or 4 times to get them to work. Its not the remote as the volume buttons work on my receiver with just one push. My wife keeps asking if I called DirecTV yet.

I think I am ready to do it as I don't think I have the patience to swap the dvr again. And to boot I noticed on the swap order dish says they are charging me 15.00 for shipping. I don't think so. If they do that's the last straw for me. DirecTVs 5 tuner dvr sure looks nice compared to the joey hopper nonsense and not to mention their new package has channels that AT120 doesn't have.

Decisions...decisions.....

Digi, my brother-in-law has a 722 and when over his house the thing that gets the most notice from me is how slow it is compared to my 622. As for the Hopper, what are the chances the Hopper will be bug free from the beginning? Considering the track record for any new receiver from Dish, I think zero.

Well... If it bothers you that much... Then switch... That's the beauty of living in a free country... What's holding you back? There must be something that you like about DISH or else you wouldn't be here debating on whether or not you want DirecTV... I have 3 722Ks that work just fine... Even with the OTA module... Not slow or freezing at all...

I'm not being sarcastic, just saying, if it bothers you so much then end the misery and go to the "greener side." Just keep in mind (I know it's cliche) that the grass is not always greener on the other side...

I don't think Hopper/Joey is "nonsense" at all... I do wish the hopper had more tuners though...

I remember a posting or two back in the day about how refurbished receivers are the same ones with problems like you described but that didn't misbehave during their brief stop in the refurb department so are certified OK and the customer who send them in is certified as stupid. I don't have any proof but were either of your 722Ks refurbs?

I do find the 722k much faster than the 722. The 722 takes forever to delete or add a timer.

The nonsense I am talking about with the joey hopper is the only 3 tuners deal. Poor choice there.

its a max 4 room hook up which most people don't need more than 4 rooms.

Yeah, 4 rooms is fine for me. 3 tuners is not. Let's try this. 2 kids watcing live tv. Living room recording prime time deal. Other recordings on satellite channels are out of luck...all skipped. No thanks.

digiblur said:
Yeah, 4 rooms is fine for me. 3 tuners is not. Let's try this. 2 kids watcing live tv. Living room recording prime time deal. Other recordings on satellite channels are out of luck...all skipped. No thanks.

to be honest I probly wont use primetime at. first off I can't since my loals are sd only and even if I could use it I would turn it off. couldn't you still watch a recording on the dvr

to be honest I probly wont use primetime at. first off I can't since my loals are sd only and even if I could use it I would turn it off. couldn't you still watch a recording on the dvr

Yeah I could watch the dvr but there would be nothing recorded since all my shows got skipped.

come over to the dark side.

Thinking hard about it even with a year left on my dish contract.

If got the 5 tuner box, and 3 additional rooms. How many programs could I record with the other 3 rooms watching live tv? 2 programs or 5?

digiblur said:

If got the 5 tuner box, and 3 additional rooms. How many programs could I record with the other 3 rooms watching live tv? 2 programs or 5?

All I can say is I wish I would've switched to Directv sooner than I did. :)

And I bet it will still have the same hard cut problem like the 722 I never get to see the end of the show because of this .
the three tuners is a joke and people seem to forget the fact that the joeys are dumb terminal with no tuners.

the answer was posted in the other thread in the D* area but right now Directv gives you HD receivers which has their own independent tuner

so you have 8 tuners total...so you can record 5 shows on the HR34 while watching something different on EACH of the H25's

Look very closely at the programming you have now vs what is available with Directv, then make your decision ...

I agree with that statement to an extent. The big question is whether or not you will get the new customer promos?
With the sky high programming & fees, both providers are encouraging churn, & why shouldn't a person go for the best deal for the time being and then start the process again when out of contract. It only makes sense$ to the consumer to get the best deal, even if it is for a while.

I have both providers, AEP with Dish, Total Choice Plus with premiums and Distants with Directv, I watch more programming with Dish because it is offered in HD vs Directv's SD offerings, but tend to watch the net's more with Directv... to me it's what I want to watch vs. cost.

I have both providers, AEP with Dish, Total Choice Plus with premiums and Distants with Directv, I watch more programming with Dish because it is offered in HD vs Directv's SD offerings, but tend to watch the net's more with Directv... to me it's what I want to watch vs. cost.

1. You really, really like TV
2. You have more money than you know what to do with
3. I am just a cheapskate smart @** with more time than $ analyzing your TV habits.

I'll go with #3 given your mod status......:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts