Think I have just about had enough with this 722k

dfergie said:
I've been with Directv since '96 and Dish since '01, had C-band programming in it's heyday, started paying for tv when HBO scrambled... I don't waffle with my programming... ;)

I tip my hat to you. You really understand!

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Thinking hard about it even with a year left on my dish contract.

I switched from Directv to Dish 2 years ago. One month after I left Directv they started sending me mailings every month begging me to switch. They say they will pay up to $200 of my ETF to switch back. I been getting them more frequently as they know my Dish contract is almost up. I would give Directv a call and ask them about paying up to $200 of your ETF. If they will do it for me, they probably do it for everybody.

FWIW, I just cancelled Dish a couple of days ago. I am signing up for Directv soon, mainly because of the HR34 and enticing promos for switching. I have no ETF so you can have my $200 from Directv... :)

the answer was posted in the other thread in the D* area but right now Directv gives you HD receivers which has their own independent tuner

so you have 8 tuners total...so you can record 5 shows on the HR34 while watching something different on EACH of the H25's

Done deal for me.. I called my friend up that installs for DirecTV. Got it all setup for this week to come install. Can't wait!

I switched from Directv to Dish 2 years ago. One month after I left Directv they started sending me mailings every month begging me to switch. They say they will pay up to $200 of my ETF to switch back. I been getting them more frequently as they know my Dish contract is almost up. I would give Directv a call and ask them about paying up to $200 of your ETF. If they will do it for me, they probably do it for everybody.

FWIW, I just cancelled Dish a couple of days ago. I am signing up for Directv soon, mainly because of the HR34 and enticing promos for switching. I have no ETF so you can have my $200 from Directv... :)

Thanks, I was able to snag a deal to offset my cost of the ETF.

I've been an Echostar customer since the c-band days...Dish since I think 96' ....I would jump in a minute if there were a way to save all that EHD stuff...maybe it's just the nature of the beast, might be out of the pan and into the fire......but the bugs.....never seem to get worked out....a good example is the 722 super annoying guide problem.

I’m pretty amazed to see that so many think that the Hopper’s 3 HD tuners aren’t sufficient. Considering that one Hopper would replace up to 3 existing boxes I think Dish concluded that 3 HD tuners would serve the needs of the vast majority of their subscribers, and the rest could add a second Hopper.

It would be nice, however, to hear reports that Dish is working on a next generation Hopper with more (perhaps 6) tuners and other features. I think it’s always advantageous for Dish to stay one step ahead of Direct in the hardware department.

I’m pretty amazed to see that so many think that the Hopper’s 3 HD tuners aren’t sufficient.

What bothers me is not the tuner number, it is the fact the Joeys do not have tuners. Hopper goes bad, no tv for a while. The HR34 system can use remote receivers with tuners, adding to the tuner count and if HR34 goes bad, you still have TV. A BIG plus if you have a wife that complains.. :)

I think it’s always advantageous for Dish to stay one step ahead of Direct in the hardware department.

Right now Dish is 2 steps behind.

I have had the same problem with my 722k locking up and I have to reboot then all is well. Then about a week ago I went to single mode instead of duel and it hasn't misbehaved since.

Guess after the receiver fees between the two I ended up with a cheaper bill with more channels, HD at more TVs, and better flexibility. Win win for me.

Sometimes different setups may be cheaper from provider.

The primary receiver is considered free by most from the providers or at least included in the package price. However, the way to look at it is $0.00 on the bill or a credit for it.

After the first receiver, the solo receiver is $6.00/month with DirecTV (although I know they do not call it a solo) and $7.00/month with Dish. However, a Duo receiver with Dish can cover two TVs, and a primary Duo is $0.00.

Any additional Duos (which cover 2 TVS--1 HD and 1 SD [with downconverted HD channels to 480i resolution if it is an HD Duo]) are $14/month and additional HD DVR Duos are $17/month. (I think the only exception is 922s; I think additional 922s are $21/month and carried a $10/month DVR fee. However, those are rumored to be phased out from what I have read with the Hopper coming along.)

In terms of DVR fees, DirecTV is $8/month and Dish is $6/month (with the exception of $10/month for the 922). If one has a 211 with Dish, then the DVR fee is not charged unless he or she has another receiver that carries the DVR fee. For the 211, there is a one-time $40 fee to turn it into a DVR with an external hard drive (which the sub must have).

However, if your initial install was not what you wanted, then I can understand. Best of luck to you with DirecTV. My family did not have the best luck with the installs with DirecTV. We would lose the signal a lot, and the receivers in our home could not be on at the same time for some strange reason without one not working correctly. Another family member's HD channels completely went out, and she had to do a service call. Luckily, you know the person doing the install; so, hopefully, you will have better luck. Another thing to remember is that with the HD Duo receivers from Dish you can still watch the HD channels on TV 2 even though they are downcoverted to a 480i resolution. With a standalone SD DirecTV receiver, you cannot do that.

Again, it really goes by what channels you want, what equipment you want, etc.

Are you getting a new DirecTV receiver that covers multiple TVs? I do not think there is one out, yet. Are you getting one of those HMC HD DVRs? I think a new customer may get one.

Last edited:
....I would jump in a minute if there were a way to save all that EHD stuff...
Do you own the 722 ? If so, disconnect it from the satellite feed before you cancel (so the "kill" signal they send doesn't affect this) and then continue watching your recordings. I'm 99% sure people have confirmed you don't have to have active service to watch programming off of the DVR.

Do you own the 722 ? If so, disconnect it from the satellite feed before you cancel (so the "kill" signal they send doesn't affect this) and then continue watching your recordings. I'm 99% sure people have confirmed you don't have to have active service to watch programming off of the DVR.

Yes, I do own the 722....I wonder if this would work....I suppose I could use my A/V receiver as a switch..

I’m pretty amazed to see that so many think that the Hopper’s 3 HD tuners aren’t sufficient. Considering that one Hopper would replace up to 3 existing boxes I think Dish concluded that 3 HD tuners would serve the needs of the vast majority of their subscribers, and the rest could add a second Hopper.

It would be nice, however, to hear reports that Dish is working on a next generation Hopper with more (perhaps 6) tuners and other features. I think it’s always advantageous for Dish to stay one step ahead of Direct in the hardware department.

3 is very small considering the 722k could do 4 all by itself and doesn't have to share either. Yeah, I know you could do the primetime thing, but then you are sharing. Let's say I have a 4 room setup. I would find that typical. 2 rooms want to watch Live TV. What happens when the living room wants to record two shows at a time? You end up with skipped shows. No thanks. I'm not going to limit myself on what we watch and how we watch for that kind of money a month.

I have had the same problem with my 722k locking up and I have to reboot then all is well. Then about a week ago I went to single mode instead of duel and it hasn't misbehaved since.

Maybe that's the problem... duel mode for any piece of equipment is never a good thing. I'll always win though and make it give up it's magical smoke before it wins. ;)

Leased here. This "new" box is so flaky it wouldn't be worth it.

Are you getting a new DirecTV receiver that covers multiple TVs? I do not think there is one out, yet. Are you getting one of those HMC HD DVRs? I think a new customer may get one.

Yep, getting the 5 tuner model with multi-room viewing. That way I will be able to record just about whatever I want, the other rooms can watch live tv with their own tuners. Gives me 8 tuners in the house which way more than I need, which is perfect. I'll never have to deal with conflicts.

Yep, getting the 5 tuner model with multi-room viewing. That way I will be able to record just about whatever I want, the other rooms can watch live tv with their own tuners. Gives me 8 tuners in the house which way more than I need, which is perfect. I'll never have to deal with conflicts.

Does that carry a $20/month fee?

Not how it works. After some period of time without a satellite signal, the box shuts down.
Hall said:

Does that carry a $20/month fee?

I have been pricing Directv because I just cancelled Dish a couple of days ago. I have 2 DVRs with Dish. I pay $10 for the extra DVR and $6 for DVR service.
On a Directv 2 year new customer 2 DVR contract (1-HR34) there is a $20 per month advanced receiver charge. There is a $10 advanced receiver discount for the full 24 month contract. The extra DVR is $6 a month.

So it comes to $16 a month 2 DVRs for both services. HD is free with both services also.

You need the satellite feed to access the EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts