Thinking about getting directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
But I have some questions first.

1. They preform a credit check, yet I have no credit-debit card, how does that work?

2. Is there a fee for downgrading packages?

3. I want to but a HDTV later this year, can I get an hd dvr, but get standard programming through it, so when I get and hdtv I dont have to switch receivers.

4. Does directv have a thing on its site where you can record shows to your dvr remotley like dish does?

5. Does directv have anything where you can hook up the dvr to your pc so you can watch an manage shows, like you can with dish.

6. What kind of dish would I get for HD and dvr and west of the missipi?

7. Should I sign up through one of those sites on the web, so I can get like a free dvd player, or are they a rip-off?

8. Since I live in a mason-brick house, and dont want directv making holes all over my walls, I laid down a rg-6 cable, can they use this or do they have to use there own? Will I need 2 of them if I want to record two shows at once, or will thire multiplexer take care of it?

9. How long do I have to have an agreemnet with them, what does it cost to cancel during that time?

10. Is directv's hd as compressed as much as dish networks?

1. They preform a credit check, yet I have no credit-debit card, how does that work?

3. I want to but a HDTV later this year, can I get an hd dvr, but get standard programming through it, so when I get and hdtv I dont have to switch receivers.

4. Does directv have a thing on its site where you can record shows to your dvr remotley like dish does?

5. Does directv have anything where you can hook up the dvr to your pc so you can watch an manage shows, like you can with dish.

7. Should I sign up through one of those sites on the web, so I can get like a free dvd player, or are they a rip-off?

8. Since I live in a mason-brick house, and dont want directv making holes all over my walls, I laid down a rg-6 cable, can they use this or do they have to use there own? Will I need 2 of them if I want to record two shows at once, or will thire multiplexer take care of it?

9. How long do I have to have an agreemnet with them, what does it cost to cancel during that time?

1. This I do not know. I would ask DirecTV or perhaps someone else can give you some insight on this topic.

2. As long as your not in a contract for a certain package then I don't think there is a fee. I just got DirecTV last Sunday and signed up for the 4 months free Premier package when buying NFL ST. I asked if they would charge if I downgraded to the Plus HD DVR package after the 4 months is up and they said no and that I could do it with no hassle.

3. Yes. I know someone who is doing the same exact thing.

4. DirecTV has what you call DVR Scheduler. You go to their TV listings after you login with your account and you can navigate through the TV listings and record a show you want to record right from your home computer. You can also do it through your mobile phone.

5. I think there is. Not sure what its called. Someone else will be able to help you on this further.

6. Their newest dish is the slimline 5-LNB I believe and you need it to receive the new HD channels in MPEG-4 format.

7. Not sure of anything like that. I would call up and just order it through DirecTV. Thats the way I did it. Someone else may know more about the deal(s) you mentioned.

8. If you tell the installer to use the cable already in your house, he will use that. For our 2 standard TV's we had pre-existing RG6 cables and we told him to use those and he did. I am not sure if they would use a line already outside though. Someone with more experience will be able to help you further on this topic.

9. All depends if you are in a contract with them. You might want to talk to a CSR to make sure what obligations you must follow if you order from them.

10. I just switched from cable and I love DirecTV's HD picture. In fact, it might be a tag better than cable. All DirecTV's HD channels are MPEG-4. As far as comparing it to Dish Networks HD picture, I can't help you there, but I can tell you that you will be pleased with DirecTV's HD picture.

I tried answering your questions the best you could. There are others on here that have had DirecTV much longer than I have and have a ton more experience and knowledge than I do.

I'll answer a couple of your questions. They will check the credit bureaus and if there is no history, you might get denied. Since they bill the upfront charges to your credit card, you probably will need one. They might take a Visa check card that is tied to your bank account, if you have one of them.

If you are an AAA member, you can save an extra $340 above the D* offer. That is what I just did and even signed up and paid $50 for AAA just to get it. The savings is $10/mo for 24 mo and $100 off your second receiver. You can call 800-242-9114 to get more info about the offer or check this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-additional-240-off-new-directv-customer.html

If you get an HD DVR, you will have to sign a 24 month commitment. So get them upfront, because if you add them after 6 months, you will sign a new 24 mo commitment. Hope this helps!

I can't remember if I needed credit card, My D* is billed through my phone company. Been with D* 3 + years now.

A Program called DIRECTV2PC is in a very limited beta testing at this time. No time frame as to when the beta will be completed.

You can network your DVR to your PC and play videos/pictures/music from your PC through your DVR..

For someone who joined Satellite Guys on 4/18/2008 and already has 223 posts, these are some strange questions!

i am a new DirecTV subscriber.

to give you a specific answer to some of your questions.

1. you will have to pay them $200 upfront if you don't have any credit scores. that $200 is consumable to your monthly fee.

2. NO

3. YES you can, but you will have to pay $99 more for the HD DVR ( orginally it's $199 but you get a $100 instant rebate) upon signing up

4. it's called DirecTV on demand. just register and log on to DirecTv.com to use this feature.

5. not sure

6. already answered.

7. it's totally up to you. i didn't get the free Sirius Radio, because i don't want to subscribe to it afte r the trial period.

8. Yes.

9. 2 years ( since you're planning to have HD) 18 months for standard subscription
if you cancel at anytime. you'll have to pay $450

10. both are compressed. personally, DirecTV HD and Dish HD looks the same on my 720p 50 inch samsung plasma

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)