Thinking about getting Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bchawla

Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Hi:

I am thinking about getting Directv because of the Indian channel lineup. When I spoke to the CSR they said that I need to sign a two year contract to get a DVR. I was prepared for a one year contract but two year is a bit much.

Now after some more discussions with my wife, I have decided to forego a DVR (and save my marriage -- Directv is her idea) and get a two room setup. I have been a former Dish customer (with their 508 DVR my cost was really low) and I still like them much better than Directv but I digress...

Anyway, what are the things I should watch for while scheduling the install and getting a good deal, keeping in mind the following:

1. I maybe buying an HDTV in 3 to 6 months' time
2. Signal strength to look for during the install (this is one thing my Dish Network setup gave me a hard time about: Windy days or bad weather and I would have no TV to watch)
3. I am a new home owner and I live in Northern Mass, so I am worried about snow on the roof blocking the dish and having to clean the snow on dish to get a good signal etc. What can I do to prevent that?
4. Would the installer run cable to my rooms where no cable connection currently exists? Will they do it through the walls or is that too much to expect?

Thanks in advance.

bchawla said:
Hi:

I am thinking about getting Directv because of the Indian channel lineup. When I spoke to the CSR they said that I need to sign a two year contract to get a DVR. I was prepared for a one year contract but two year is a bit much.

The contract is prorated for each month you stay, and is waived if you send the hardware back. So it's really not a big deal at all.

I'm pretty sure you'll need a super-huge dish to get the Indian programming, though. It's on a different satellite.

bchawla said:
Now after some more discussions with my wife, I have decided to forego a DVR (and save my marriage -- Directv is her idea) and get a two room setup.

Don't. The DVRs are fantastic, and free after rebate. If you wait a month, you could have a choice between the TiVo-based R-10 and the new R-15.
We're all partial to TiVo around here. They make your old Dish 508 look like a Tinkertoy.

H

Wow! thanks for the advice. But if Tivo's are so good then why wait for R-15?

Also, regarding the Dish, I was transferred to a different number for Indian programming as the regular CSR did not know much about that. So I should think the other department would send me the correct equipment.

Finally, I didn't know the contract is waived if I send the equipment back. So basically, I would pay for the shipping, and that is it, right? I would have no use for the equipment if I cancel my subscription anyway. This seems to make the whole deal look a lot better.

Oh and one more thing, I would be getting a less advertised Preferred Choice package (for $30/mo) if that matters.

Don't do it...yet, wait 'till they match Cable/Verizon FiOS offer of renting as many HD DVRs as you require, roll-out HD LIL to your area, and demonstrate full bitrate HD (1920x1080).

It sound like you have 3-6 months to wait for them to get up to speed and for Verizon FiOS to turn on the pressure for DBS and Satellite MSOs to offer better pricing, low-cost HD DVR rentals, and much better HD/SD picture quality.

Spring/Summer are going to be huge months for HD and the video subscriber. Go with cable until that time--->there are no upfront costs and no two year programming commitment.

BTW, are there any FiOS plans in Northern MA?

...just my 2 cents.

bchawla said:
Wow! thanks for the advice. But if Tivo's are so good then why wait for R-15?

If you don't specifically want a TiVo, the R15 has more disk space, does not require a phone line to connect, and has a longer buffer (90 minutes).

However, TiVos are more upgradable (You can replace/upgrade the hard drive), and more tested. There may also be some TiVo features that the R15 doesn't duplicate. We can't say for sure as the R15 doesn't come out until next month.

bchawla said:
Finally, I didn't know the contract is waived if I send the equipment back. So basically, I would pay for the shipping, and that is it, right? I would have no use for the equipment if I cancel my subscription anyway. This seems to make the whole deal look a lot better.

Oh and one more thing, I would be getting a less advertised Preferred Choice package (for $30/mo) if that matters.

The contract will, I think, require you to get Total Choice at a minimum.
(I think the Foreign Programming also requires this.)
They generally let people out of the contract free and clear if you cancel due to dissatisfaction. (You're still liable for programming charges up to your cancellation date.)

H

Foreign Language does not require total choice but the basic ($10/mo) plan. Since I would get so many channels with Preferred Choice for $20 more, it seems logical to upgrade.

Verizon FiOS is not available in my area yet. I understand that it is for high speed internet (next gen DSL, if you will) so what does it have to do with Directv?

bchawla said:
Foreign Language does not require total choice but the basic ($10/mo) plan. Since I would get so many channels with Preferred Choice for $20 more, it seems logical to upgrade.

To get the rebate, you must sign a commitment. The commitment requires Total Choice. If you don't want the rebate, or a DVR, they may let you in with no commitment.

bchawla said:
Verizon FiOS is not available in my area yet. I understand that it is for high speed internet (next gen DSL, if you will) so what does it have to do with Directv?

Verizon (and others) have plans to deliver IPTV -- HDTV over streamed internet. The bandwidth of FiOS exceeds that necessary to send a decent MPEG-2 signal, so literally, HDTV could be "on demand".

H

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)