Thinking about leaving Dish for Cable.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

David1997

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Harrisonburg, VA
I can get all my locals in HD, ABC, FOX, CBS , NBC plus they have Showtime HD, HBO HD, Cinemax HD, Starz HD, HD NET, HD Movies iNDemand HD, iNDemand HD 2, Discovery HD, NFL Network HD, ESPN HD.

HD box is 7.95 a month
They said 12.95 including the box to get all locals in HD

I've had dish for a year and miss the locals dish wont even let me have distant locals my waviers always get denied even if they where approved i can't watch my football team, i always have to go to a friends house.

93.40 Monthly Rate
$24.95 Professional Installation
up to 315 Classic +
up to 113 Digital Channels
4 Premium Movie Multiplex

David1997 said:
I can get all my locals in HD, ABC, FOX, CBS , NBC plus they have Showtime HD, HBO HD, Cinemax HD, Starz HD, HD NET, HD Movies iNDemand HD, iNDemand HD 2, Discovery HD, NFL Network HD, ESPN HD.

HD box is 7.95 a month
They said 12.95 including the box to get all locals in HD

I've had dish for a year and miss the locals dish wont even let me have distant locals my waviers always get denied even if they where approved i can't watch my football team, i always have to go to a friends house.

93.40 Monthly Rate
$24.95 Professional Installation
up to 315 Classic +
up to 113 Digital Channels
4 Premium Movie Multiplex

Dish isn't the ones denying your waivers.

For how long? 30 60 or 90 days... sure I'll take that offer. NOT because after the promo you’re up to 3 times what you'd pay for the Extreme pack from Dish.

Yeah I know Dish doesn't have all your HD locals, but that’s because your Cable Company is paying the locals to not go that route.

Same BS Time Warner pulled in Lincoln NE. Only reason Lincoln DMA went local on Dish is because City Council stepped in and told TW to go to hell since they refused to pay a tax bill they rightfully owed under there contract with the city and the fact the local head called them a bunch of idiots on the record. I wonder if she ever lost her job or did time over the tax evasion charges.

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
For how long? 30 60 or 90 days... sure I'll take that offer. NOT because after the promo you’re up to 3 times what you'd pay for the Extreme pack from Dish.

Yeah I know Dish doesn't have all your HD locals, but that’s because your Cable Company is paying the locals to not go that route.

Same BS Time Warner pulled in Lincoln NE. Only reason Lincoln DMA went local on Dish is because City Council stepped in and told TW to go to hell since they refused to pay a tax bill they rightfully owed under there contract with the city and the fact the local head called them a bunch of idiots on the record. I wonder if she ever lost her job or did time over the tax evasion charges.

That's there normal monthly price it's not a promotion there current promotion is for a $50 rebate when you sign up for any of there plans! They do charge $24.95 for a Professional Installation.

I hate to leave dish though. i haven't yet i'll miss the cool channel guide that tells you how many mins are left etc that's something cable still don't have.

???

It's because of the current bandwidth shortage. Both E* and D* have plans for local HD, it'll take a while before all of the technology needed is in place.

Its also because cable companys have it in there local charters with city gov's to limit Dish's and DTV's ability to get locals.

That was the case with one DMA here. The City Gov new letting Dish get locals like they had been pushing for years would hurt TW the most so they approved an amendment to the charter and opened up locals for Dish.

Bandwidth maybe an issue also, but Cable charters with the City Gov could also be another factor for some DMA's.

I don't blame you!! But, I have yet to see a cable DVR as nice as the E* DVR with the 30 sec skip ahead, the ability to see exactly how much time is left on the DVR,UHF remote, etc...

I would have cable, if the DVR didn't suck. Also, the Adelphia here, does not put every non-digital channel through in stereo. So channels such as Comedy Central and USA were in mono.

The digital channels looked a lot better than E*, but the non-digital channels were much worse on cable. I had a wonderful signal as far as strength, they just looked bad.

You will probably get some on-demand channels also!

True, someday E* might have your locals, but, if you own your equipment, you could sell the equipment now and buy newer, more advanced, equipment in the future, should you decide to go back to E*.

I had Adelphia for 6 months, i cancelled adelphia because i signed up for 6 months for $24.95 then shortly after i got it (less than 24hrs after hook up) they ran a special to get adelphia for $24.95 a month for a year so i called them and asked if i could get that special they said yes so 6 months later i started to get bills for the normal rate so i called them again and told them i should be getting it for $24.95 a month for a year they said they had no record of it so i cancelled.

I've had trouble with Dish to they deactivated my account once by mistake and called me a week later saying i need to send there stuff back, i never called them to deactivat my account when they turned it back on some of the channels where missing that i pay $1.50 a month for the WB etc so i had to call again. To get HD with Dish i need another satellite $199.00 i think plus HD reciver.

To get HD with Adelphia it wont cost me anything just the monthly fees plus i get my locals in HD! I miss them the most.....mostly football. I think i will keep Dish and get Adelphia and try it out for awhile i'm lucky Dish didn't use Adelphias cables so they can both be hooked up at the same time.

Well I just went to time warner cable and for 18 months for 83 dollars I get, HD tier, Digital tier, Normal tier, Hbo, Hbo on demand, Hd dvr, regular box, and road runner, so that is really a good price, very very good quality Hd, in fact my OTA and Time warner are one and the same...I enjoy it...I do miss dish in the fact that I know they are going to be adding some good channels here soon, plus I miss voom, but for the money I save a month, I am happy!

Time warner sounds like they practically pay you to take their equipment off their hands, you guys get all those insane deals.

Ya'll should get comcast. You'll pay like $100 a month for the same stuff, they drop off some used boxes + remotes and ditch, and then when you go to the office to complain they just give you this nasty look and give you another remote

That's too bad. The Comcast in my area is much cheaper than that. And, they even let you swap your phase 2 HD DVR for a Phase 3 at the local office, no questions asked. So, not only is the HD DVR free to begin with (unlike a certain dbs company's $250 charge), you can upgrade for free as well.

It's a shame that Comcast differs so greatly from area to area, not just in programming and pricing, but in CS as well.

The pricing isn't bad here compared to other cable companies -- promo pricing anyway, IIRC I had digital "silver" + 4/384 HSI (now 6/384) for $60 a month. -- for 6 months, after that I think it hit ~$83-89 or so.

The problem was that when they came to set it up, well as said many times in the past -- my house wiring was all used by satellite wiring, and they refused to install a new jack for the cable stuff. Of course, there was also the box that I was really displeased with.. let's put it this way..

I pay $37 a month for the most basic DHA package Dish has, but for 4 TVs -- no DVR or anything fancy mind you, but it does the job, all 4 TVs have digital setups. To get the same channel listings I'd have to pay $10 a month more. [give or take, the channels were pretty much the same as the T120 or T180 -- what's that? $20 a month more?..

So $57 a month for all 4 TVs, and more music channels than comcast could ever dream of carrying. [Admittedly, comcast's music service is STILL more interesting, but I'll talk about that later]. Thing is, that includes 4 TVs powered by 2 nice "small" 322 boxes.

Comcast's offering was $75 (not including tax, would have gotten into the $80 range) -- along with internet for all 4 TVs. Of course, each TV would need the infamous 2224-ish box they give you. About the only thing I found good with it was that you could change the color menu, and the music channels had LOTS of details about the current song (artist's history, etc).. that was pretty neat.

OTOH no favorites lists, no custom surf lists, the channel surf bar was a piece of garbage that was REALLY slow to respond (flipping channels too fast caused it to go blank -- and too fast was not allowing the picture to load for each and every channel change you did). The TV guide function took like 2 seconds to page-up on, and oh yeah, there WAS a "favorites" list, which you could "surf" through by mashing "FAV" on your remote --

That was fun too. The remote comcast gave us on the box I tried out was the size of an aircraft carrier, not to mention used. Call me a whiner if you wish, but that's just too much lol. After a complaint and a trip to the office (where they told me that the box was the newest they had and the remote was fine but they switched it anyway), that was somewhat taken care of.

So back to terms, I was really disappointed with the box and they still hadn't run the necessary house wiring so I called to cancel. An appointment was set to pick up the equipment (one that never happened anyway), and a few days later a tele-marketer calls me offering cable internet without digital cable (I'd still have to pay for extended cable, but that meant no setup fees (why after all that trouble?) -- and they'd run the new line, no problem)...

Uh huh, when pigs fly. The appointment for install was set on the 14th, perfect timing since my DSL was due to be out of contract on the 15th!

Guess what happened on the 14th. Yep, a 1-5 appointment window, I waited all day, didn't bother to call since I had called on the 12th to make ABSOLUTELY sure they'd be there, and 5pm came..

6pm went, I called comcast..

"I can't find anything like that in our system, nope, nothing for your account whatsoever."

WHAT?!

After speaking to their supervisor, that changes to "Oh there it is, but it was canceled"..

WHAT?!

Speaking of which, they say the order to pick up the digital box was canceled too! (it still hasn't been picked up to this day).

So finally they set an appointment for the 29th. At this point, I took measures into my own hands (I really didn't have a choice), unhooked 1 of my satellite lines and used it to carry the cable stuff (the internet in this house is more important to our day to day stuff than phone I kid you not, ironically our phone service is VoIP anyway so THAT relied on it too!). And hooked up the good ole' cable modem again.

So the 15th was there, I was free of DSL, and comcast gained a customer they really didn't deserve haha. Call me an idiot, but I didn't want to pay $80/month for DSL or re-commit to a new contract for the moment.

One day, a guy comes to the door and tells me he's there to run that line I had been asking about, it wasn't the 29th so I was very surprised and explained to him what happened, what he needed to do, and how the stuff was currently set, no problem of course. [When the installer people came, they were usually cool, just not doing much].

So I finally had a shiny new RG6 run to my cable modem that didn't block the satellite TV stuff (which I still planned on keeping since IMHO the digital cable wasn't worth it).

After straightening some billing problems (getting the start of service date set as the 15th, which it was for me officially -- well minus the one day when the first guy jacked one of my satellite lines for the cable stuff and I tested out the digital boxes and then put back my satellite wire where it belonged), I find a $29 charge for "additional outlet install fee"..

Fine, whatever. It's over with. The damn stuff works and I have a line, I'll eat the $30. Of course, it burns my nerves more they didn't tell me that, when I asked a dozen times if they'd charge for it and they said no, but fine.

I'll be moving at the end of the year anyway, and our other house (which we've had for a while now), is in a cox area (unfortunately, I've not heard good things at all about Cox @ Las Vegas "since they run it differently down there").

But we'll be renting this house anyway, and when I do give the renter advice (or a clubdish referral) -- I'm sure they'll sign up with comcast anyway, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone out here heheh.

If I had another shot at this (with a year here) -- I'd just sign up with dish and SBC,,, Little more for a 3/512 and the T180, but worth it :D

Its also because cable companys have it in there local charters with city gov's to limit Dish's and DTV's ability to get locals.
Bull$#!t.

Local governments (including state) have NO authority over who TV stations give their signal to, nor any authority over DBS providing those signals into their city.

OoTLink said:
Time warner sounds like they practically pay you to take their equipment off their hands, you guys get all those insane deals.

Ya'll should get comcast. You'll pay like $100 a month for the same stuff, they drop off some used boxes + remotes and ditch, and then when you go to the office to complain they just give you this nasty look and give you another remote

its not a bad deal, I have the scientific alanta 8300Hd, which has been rock solid, and if anything new comes out they have no problem calling me and switching it out for the old boxes they did this for my 8000hd, great company and no problem whatsoever since they ran new line out here in my hood!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts