Thinking about leaving Voom- Here are 7 reasons

rudolpht said:
As far as the family thing, I think there are more than sufficient SD channels for the kids. I keep TOON, BOOM, DISN,TOOND, ABCFAM, and NICK in the program guide. As a bonus I have PBS Kids in my OTA, but it's rarely watched. As you know there are a few others too. Of course there are the premium family SD focused channels as well.

A want a DVR quickly too, but a DVR on a service w/o much content is not a good balance. Canceling for quirks is not for me, but if a competitive service with 80% of the content came around with a DVR, I would think twice.

Well- the smaller kids like PBS Kids (not OTA here) annd Noggin.

A DVR not made by Motorola (hello, Sony, JVC, Phillips) might keep me around.

Ilya said:
It is annoying indded, but hopefully will be fixed soon. Here is what Wilt posted this morning:
We're going through all the audio levels this morning.
Thanks,
Wilt

Yeah, I sent Wilt an email about it yesterday. It's been real bad.

I was one who stated I'd probably hang in there with Voom for a while but now I'm having to back step and eat my words. My wife and daughter are on my case big time. The icing on the cake tonight when my wife found out I didn't/couldn't record Big Brother. My daughter has been going down to my parents house just to see her must-see show on Noggin and my wife has complained about not having Lifetime (she's still trying to get lessons on how to do me in I guess). Plus we've missed several Atlanta Braves games with no Turner South or Fox Sports South. She complains everytime it rains about the reciever locking up or going black and she's constantly calling me to "come fix this stupid thing". The volume problem hasn't bothered me so bad but all of it put together gets to be a nagging of sorts. My wife says the HD channels are a bunch of crap and I have to kinda agree with her to an extent although I kinda sometimes like an older grade B/C (1 star or 1 1/2 star movie).... and I have really enjoyed the Rave concerts although they are getting very repetitive now.

We just didn't have all these headaches before and it's all my fault (which it is for jumping into it before it is really ready). So... we'll be cancelling Voom and going with Directv for now... but I'm not totally giving up on Voom. Once they get all the bugs worked out and WM9 going and if they end up being truly better than D* with HD, equipment, and all programming to passify the family then I'll pay whatever is needed to get back in the picture.

Sonnie Parker:

Didn't is the better word. You could have recorded it on your VCR . There is a diagram in the VOOM manual. No problem, but you have to set it up and maybe push a button to record. Maybe that's too hard for you to do?? So you hang it all on VOOM??

Tvlman said:
Sonnie Parker:

Didn't is the better word. You could have recorded it on your VCR . There is a diagram in the VOOM manual. No problem, but you have to set it up and maybe push a button to record. Maybe that's too hard for you to do?? So you hang it all on VOOM??

What the hell is a VCR? Haven't had one in four years. and I'd never tape BB..lol..

rudolpht said:
As far as the family thing, I think there are more than sufficient SD channels for the kids. I keep TOON, BOOM, DISN,TOOND, ABCFAM, and NICK in the program guide. As a bonus I have PBS Kids in my OTA, but it's rarely watched. As you know there are a few others too. Of course there are the premium family SD focused channels as well.
The ch's my kids watch most are of course not on VOOm right now.....My youngest one lives on PBSKids ( I get this OTA but at night I dont. I actually wrote to PBS and asked them why they have to pull PBSKids off when they show HD all of the time. They usually leave one STD broadcast and the HD loop that they show. The STD broadcast is something that most people arent watching...but they told me to tape PBSkids during the day and let the kid watch it at night. ) Noggin...again for my 2 year old. Nick WEst and Nick TOONS for my 8 year old.....DIY and QVC and the Home ch I think its HGtV? I keep DTV with my VOOM to keep everyone happy. And since I dont get NBC or WPIX or my local PBS affiliate ....DTV is a must. My wife also seems to watch NBC alot although I dont. I tried everything to get NBC including almost one of my kids when an extra piece of mast fell off my house while I was installing it. I want VOOM to be my only provider someday but now is not the time for me. Voom lacks alot of what everyone in my family wants....so while I could afford it ...I will have 2 providers. But I couldnt get along with VOOM as it is right now.

I'm in the same boat. I went from Dish to Voom for the HD and I was hoping the kids stuff would at least be reasonable but it's not. I'm switching as soon as I can get my hands on a good deal. I'd tell the wife to deal with it if I didn't have so many other issues.

The Good:
-It's nice to have a good variety of HD channels
-That fact that Voom exists is making the others pay attention to HDTV and offer better deals.
-I love RUSH and FUEL
-It's so bad now it can only get better, right?

The Bad:
-PQ isn't what I expected. The WOW factor that I get with my locals just isn't there.
-Kid's programming is lacking.
-HD programming is lacking. Too many loops. Some new stuff would be nice.
-Picture/sound breaks up from time to time. Lots of buggy stuff.
-Customer service is high on promises but low on results
-Locals via antenna but they can't/won't work with you to get the antenna working. I haven't had FOX or CBS for 2 months. Thank God it's summer.
-Everytime it rains I have no satellite. I tried for an upgrade but I no longer have the energy to argue with Installs Inc. and Voom. You can only take off so many days from work to meet the satellite guy.

The Ugly:
-Install's Inc. enough said.

2.) Picture breakup when changing channels.
The VOOM STB changes channels faster than a lot of other receivers.

Time to change channel + time of picture breakup = ~time to change channels on other boxes

Tvlman said:

You got part of your statement right... "...that's too hard for you to do??" is absolutely correct since I don't own a VCR anymore.

You obviously didn't read all my post though... I certainly didn't "hang it all on VOOM". I wrote "...and it's all my fault...". I took the blame for some of it at least.

I'll be the first to admit when I've made a mistake and I made a mistake by subscribing to Voom at this particular time (but at least I got to experience Voom first hand). There is good and bad with Voom but the bad just outweighs the good at this time. I haven't completely shut the door on Voom. I will certainly keep abreast of the positive changes and stated I would pay the necessary penalty (no free install - no free box - whatever) to re-subscribe if at a later date they get things worked out as they should be. I just think I can do better to suit our family needs at the present time. I'll do whatever I need to do to be happy with our services.

I'm not faulting anyone that wants to continue on with Voom and I will not slam anyone who chooses to stay or go. It's all about choices.

I find it amazing that there are people who demand more HDTV, but when given the choice of TNT-HD, BravoHD, EncoreHD (awesome channel!!!), The Movie Channel HD, Starz HD, Cinemax HD and East/West feeds whenever available or 5 NTSC channels, they are choosing the NTSC channels.

You are voting with your pocketbook and when Cartoon Network, Lifetime, USA and Sci-Fi are winning "votes" against 15 channels of HDTV, do you really see that as giving the other providers more reason to provide HDTV?

I have heard the channel volume variation you speak of. It is not a problem with Voom, but with the content providers. I have that same issue here with the OTA channels. The increased dynamic range has caused problems. Commercials usually run the volume up higher and sometimes it is a HUGE increase in volume because they have a larger dynamic range to work with.

The only way for Voom to fix this problem is if they normalize all the volume at their end, which would require an additional decode/encode on the audio. Do you want that? If not, then find the channels that have the volume set incorrectly and complain to them.

yes,

it changes channels quickly, but if you click the channel change button too fast the present firmware may lock up.

So I guess it would be better to change slower and not lock up.

Mr.Poindexter said:
I find it amazing that there are people who demand more HDTV, but when given the choice of TNT-HD, BravoHD, EncoreHD (awesome channel!!!), The Movie Channel HD, Starz HD, Cinemax HD and East/West feeds whenever available or 5 NTSC channels, they are choosing the NTSC channels.

You are voting with your pocketbook and when Cartoon Network, Lifetime, USA and Sci-Fi are winning "votes" against 15 channels of HDTV, do you really see that as giving the other providers more reason to provide HDTV?

It is not amazing,people have different taste,my 9 year old likes her kid shows,my wife likes her USA,Lifetime and her country music station(yech),
my 13 year old likes his Sci-Fi,Cartoon Network,HDNet(Auto Stuff)and the RSN,I like my RSN,people have different taste thats all and to keep a happy family(all three are at home all the time because of no school and my wife does not work anyways) you have to give in(I have been married for 17 happy years and I know when not to rock the boat).
Now I have said this before I think Voom should rethink its business model and just offer HD channels(maybe the SD movie channels)kill the SD channels,drop the monthly price so people can afford both services that make under eighty grand a year,kind of like how USSB was when Sat.TV first started when they just offered the Movie Channels to subs.
If Voom did this I think their Sub. Base would jump quite a bit
Me for Example-Dish-AT-100 with Locals,HBO,Showtime,HD Pack-$70-80.00 a month

If Voom did this
Me-Dish-AT-100 with Locals-$40.00 a month
then Voom(all HD,Voom Channels,movie channels,etc) maybe $50.00-$60.00 a month that is do-able and keeps everybody in the family happy,but I know I am dreaming.

The same answer in Redneck:
It is not amazin',varmints haf diffrunt taste,mah 9 year old likes her kid shows,mah wife likes her USA,Lifetime an' her country moosic stashun(yech), mah 13 year old likes his Sci-Fi,Cartoon Netwawk,HDNet(Auto Stuff)an' th' RSN,ah like mah RSN,varmints haf diffrunt taste thets all an' t'keep a happy fambly(all three is at home all th' time on account o' of no skoo an' mah wife does not wawk ennyways) yo' hafta give in(ah have been married up wif fo' 17 happy years an' ah knows when not t'rock th' boat). Now ah have said this hyar befo'e ah reckon Voom sh'd rereckon its business model an' jest offer HD channels(mebbe th' SD movie channels)kill th' SD channels,drop th' monthly price so varmints kin affo'd both services thet make unner eighty gran' a year,kind of like how USSB was when Sat.TV fust started when they jest offered th' Movie Channels t'subs. Eff'n Voom did this hyar ah reckon their Sub. Well bust mah britches an' call me streaker. Base'd jump quite a bit Me fo' Example-Dish-AT-100 wif Locals,HBO,Showtime,HD Pack-$70-80.00 a month Eff'n Voom did this Me-Dish-AT-100 wif Locals-$40.00 a month then Voom(all HD,Voom Channels,movie channels,etc) mebbe $50.00-$60.00 a month thet is do-able an' keeps ev'rybody in th' fambly happy,but ah knows ah's dreamin'.

bruce said:
Now I have said this before I think Voom should rethink its business model and just offer HD channels(maybe the SD movie channels)kill the SD channels,drop the monthly price so people can afford both services that make under eighty grand a year,kind of like how USSB was when Sat.TV first started when they just offered the Movie Channels to subs.
If Voom did this I think their Sub. Base would jump quite a bit
Me for Example-Dish-AT-100 with Locals,HBO,Showtime,HD Pack-$70-80.00 a month

If Voom did this
Me-Dish-AT-100 with Locals-$40.00 a month
then Voom(all HD,Voom Channels,movie channels,etc) maybe $50.00-$60.00 a month that is do-able and keeps everybody in the family happy,but I know I am dreaming.

Unfortunately, you are dreaming. There is no way that Voom can drop SD channels for many reasons. Moreover, contrary to your assumption, without the major SD channels their subscriber base would drop substantially.

andrzej said:
Unfortunately, you are dreaming. There is no way that Voom can drop SD channels for many reasons. Moreover, contrary to your assumption, without the major SD channels their subscriber base would drop substantially.

Why?
I think as a add on service it would atract more to people that do not what to lose their RSN or other fav SD channel if you get them via cable or sat.,yes people would need two services but me as a consumer would rather have that then paying twice for the same channel(FoxNews for one)then losing out of them if you select one service or another.
I think it is win-win for consumers and Voom(opens up bandwidth with no SD channels so whatever compression they are using will get better and gives them a great business model as the "Premium HD Service" and when they switch to WM9 or whatever compression system it gives them more bandwidth to add even more HD channels to us like our RSN's when they go Hd and maybe Locals in HD to complete with cable.)
Remember the reasons he was thinking of leaving Voom.
1.) Volume variation.
2.) Picture breakup when changing channels.(maybe get better with no SD channels-compression)
3.) STB that locks up- alot!(same answer)
4.) Lack of SD channels (more kids stuff to start with)(two services,no problem)
5.) STB cannot tune local cable TV (D* can))(two services,no problem)

6.) No Sunday Ticket (but I knew this))(two services,no problem)

7.) Lousy install- not fixed yet (except for what I had to fix myself)(based on my own almost install for Voom(two times)I do not have a good answer,I put my own E* dish up at 61.5 and i run a furniture store,what problems do these installers have I just do not get.

Note that there are no SD duplicates of any of Voom exclusive channels. All other HD channels are provided by other sources that require Voom to broadcast SD stuff as well. Voom doesn't have a choice.

You also want Voom to be relatively inexpensive. How can this be possible without ads revenue on all those SD channels? In other words, buying only HD-HBO would be far more expensive (for Voom and for us) than buying HD-HBO with additional SD channels.

>>2.) Picture breakup when changing channels.(maybe get better with no SD channels-compression)<<

Your other beefs are legit but not this one. This is a satellite service. Perhaps you're used to cable where channel change is instantaneous. With satellite, there will always be some lag. the mpeg2 picture also needs a bit of time to assemble, so to speak. The voom box with 5.68 changes channel about as fast as any satellite receiver I've seen. Voom could change it so it will display NOTHING until the whole picture is available. You won't see the picture break up and reassemble. Instead, you'll see a black screen then the picture pops up. Frankly, I don't find that any more appealing.

It's like a web page. You can program your browser to wait until everything on the web page is downloaded and display the whole page perfectly in one swoop. Or you can have it display the text as soon as it downloads and then start filliing in the images. This way you have something to look at quickly but the page jumps around as you start filling in the picture. The second way is preferable to most people since they don't have to stare at a blank screen for a long time.

barth2k said:
>>2.) Picture breakup when changing channels.(maybe get better with no SD channels-compression)<<

Your other beefs are legit but not this one. This is a satellite service. Perhaps you're used to cable where channel change is instantaneous. With satellite, there will always be some lag. the mpeg2 picture also needs a bit of time to assemble, so to speak. The voom box with 5.68 changes channel about as fast as any satellite receiver I've seen. Voom could change it so it will display NOTHING until the whole picture is available. You won't see the picture break up and reassemble. Instead, you'll see a black screen then the picture pops up. Frankly, I don't find that any more appealing.

It's like a web page. You can program your browser to wait until everything on the web page is downloaded and display the whole page perfectly in one swoop. Or you can have it display the text as soon as it downloads and then start filliing in the images. This way you have something to look at quickly but the page jumps around as you start filling in the picture. The second way is preferable to most people since they don't have to stare at a blank screen for a long time.

Barth,

Sure my beef is legit, very. I've had both Dish and Direct and the software matters a lot. The last provider I had before Voom was Direct with both a Sony SAT-HD200 and a Direct Tivo SAT-T60.

The channels came in when i changed them- not slowly pixal by pixal like Voom does.

If this was the only problem it wouldn't be so bad. The STB always locks when you surf fast. The you reboot it and it tunes to 100. How much fun is that?

andrzej said:
Note that there are no SD duplicates of any of Voom exclusive channels
I know that,I said all HD channels.

andrzej said:
All other HD channels are provided by other sources that require Voom to broadcast SD stuff as well. Voom doesn't have a choice..
Not all others what do these channels have to do with what HD channels:
MSNBC,CNBC,ABC FAMILY,VH1,BET,A&E,COURT-TV,MTV,COMEDY CENTRAL,TLC,HISTORY CHANNEL,NICK,AMC,DISNEY,TRAVEL,STYLE,OXYGEN,SPIKE,TV LAND,FOX NEWS,ANIMAL PLANET,SPEED,GOLF CHANNEL AND Others.

andrzej said:
You also want Voom to be relatively inexpensive
Where did you get "relatively inexpensive" $60.00 is only $20.00 less then it is with everything now.

andrzej said:
How can this be possible without ads revenue on all those SD channels? In other words, buying only HD-HBO would be far more expensive (for Voom and for us) than buying HD-HBO with additional SD channels.
If you read my earlier post I said "just offer HD channels(maybe the SD movie channels)"which meant the SD channels with them,if I dropped HBO with Dish,of course I would want the same pack from Voom(and I never watch the other HBO either).And what ad revenue,Voom has so few viewers can it really make a difference as having the SD stations,or getting rid of them and not paying the program providers.

Seawaves: I don't have the sony so I don't know. My Hughes e86 is not exactly a speed demon.

The lockup is a pain, definitely. It's embarrassing having to tell people not to change channel too fast. Between that and Auction and Moov and missing favorite SD channels, I'm tired of hearing "how much are we paying for this again?" :(

Even my bug filled Dish 811 changes just as fast as my Step-Father Comcast HD Box and I have never seen a lock-up or a pixal problem no matter how fast I change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts