thinking about making the switch, dish to direct and have a question regarding the remote control

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcpfrid

Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
thinking about making the switch, dish to direct and have a question regarding the remote control

i currently have the 722 dvr running the living room and an old tv in the garage. I also hooked up component cable to my preamp and run a zone 2 and zone 3 for two additional rooms. part of what makes this work is dishes 2nd remote is RF and I can control the dvr from anywhere in the house. will i be able to do this w/ the direct tv remotes? thanks

Don't have the 24 series, not sure about RF antenna ports. What RC do you have? You can go to MENU>SETTINGS>REMOTE>IR/RF SETUP and test it out.

There is no external antenna on Directv receivers. The only reason the 722 has the external antenna port is because of the TV2 option, because the antenna might need to be located closer to the room where TV2 is. The main purpose of RF on a Directv receiver is so that you can hide it in a cabinet, and is not designed for long distance reception. Therefore it is not going to be as effective for use throughout the house (but it might still work, depending on the receiver's location in the house, the construction of the house, and the distance.)

The only exception to this is the H25, which does not have RF capability built in, it uses an external dongle/antenna. By design this should have better reception than an internal one, and can be remotely located for optimal reception through the house.

There is no external antenna on Directv receivers. The only reason the 722 has the external antenna port is because of the TV2 option, because the antenna might need to be located closer to the room where TV2 is. The main purpose of RF on a Directv receiver is so that you can hide it in a cabinet, and is not designed for long distance reception. Therefore it is not going to be as effective for use throughout the house (but it might still work, depending on the receiver's location in the house, the construction of the house, and the distance.)

The only exception to this is the H25, which does not have RF capability built in, it uses an external dongle/antenna. By design this should have better reception than an internal one, and can be remotely located for optimal reception through the house.

Good points on the RF issue. I have the HR23 and fortunately for me, the RF range works great in my house. RF Remote is one option that I need in a D* Box. I read somewhere that the HR24 has the option for an external RF "kit" of some kind, right? Is that a plug-in with an external RF antenna?

No, nothing for the HR24. Unless they come up with a USB method, there's no jack for it either. You must be thinking of the H25 dongle. It connects to the H25 using a 1/8" TRS (headphone) connector.

H25RFANT_zoom.jpg

I just tried mine (H24 and HR24), and it actually works pretty well anywhere on the same floor, but between floors not so much (but to be fair the house structure, including the floors above the basement, is reinforced concrete - it was designed to be the only thing left standing after a Joplin-strength tornado).

Edit: In looking for a pic of the H25 dongle, I found a replacement antenna for the HR20.. So it appears that does have an external similar to the VIP (with the coaxial connector).

Last edited:
No, nothing for the HR24. Unless they come up with a USB method, there's no jack for it either. You must be thinking of the H25 dongle. It connects to the H25 using a 1/8" TRS (headphone) connector.

H25RFANT_zoom.jpg

I just tried mine (H24 and HR24), and it actually works pretty well anywhere on the same floor, but between floors not so much (but to be fair the house structure, including the floors above the basement, is reinforced concrete - it was designed to be the only thing left standing after a Joplin-strength tornado).

Edit: In looking for a pic of the H25 dongle, I found a replacement antenna for the HR20.. So it appears that does have an external similar to the VIP (with the coaxial connector).

That's the one I was remembering, thanks. If I upgrade to an HR24, it will probably work (range) the same as the HR23, I hope.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)