Thinking about orthomode feedhorns

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've been reading this thread and it's quite interesting, I think I understand the wiring concept but I have a question about the receiver configuration. With this setup would you required two entries per satellite? One for the H and one for the V TPs???

Thanks

I build my own power inserters using bias tees and a 19 volt laptop power supply, so it would be simpler to use the standard Tru Spec dual power inserter for your purpose. I used these until I was powering a larger number of LNB's and I sold my last 2 yesterday. You would only need one of these for a single band as each supply can power 2 LNB's. They cost around $25-30 and the loss through the supply is negligible. I use the 5802's because I am using a C/KU band ortho, as well as a dual C band ortho. A 3402 or 3403 would work well if you don't have more than 4 receivers. I like the Spaun switches...they are built well and have some amplification and slope correction.

Separate coaxes from each LNB comes into the TO LNB ports (H and V) of the power inserter, then the H OUT goes into the Horizontal (18V) input of the switch and the V OUT goes into the Vertical (13V) input of the switch. Then each receiver connects to the switch outputs. The toggle switch on the power inserter should be in the UP position so that 18 volts is sent to both H and V LNB's.

I've been reading this thread and it's quite interesting, I think I understand the wiring concept but I have a question about the receiver configuration. With this setup would you required two entries per satellite? One for the H and one for the V TPs???

Thanks
Your receiver treats a multiswitch just like an LNBF...polarity is voltage selected...only one satellite entry is necessary.

Ok I think I understand, (never having used a mulitiswitch). So the switch output is controlled by either 13V or 18V input, but the output port to each LNB has been altered to actually pass 18V to both outputs in order to supply the correct voltage to the LNB.
Is the multiswitch like what is built into most LNBFs to change between H and V but in a single package on its own. Would this be an accurate description? Or am I all wet.

Your receiver treats a multiswitch just like an LNBF...polarity is voltage selected...only one satellite entry is necessary.

comfrey. imagine it this way. an single output lnbf can supply horizontal and vertical polarity but only one at a time. a dual output lnbf can supply horizontal and vertical on either of its two outputs. a multiswitch needs a dual output lnbf to operate correctly (quads not mentioned for simplicity). the multiswitch assigns one output to horizontal and one output to vertical and can then supply both polarities to as many outputs as it has. some have 4, some have 8, etc. when using an orthomode feed you insert 18volts in between the lnb and multiswitch. this way the switch selects polarity based on the coax voltage between the reciever and switch and the lnb operates on 18volts like it requires.

crackt out,.

Ok I strained my brain and I actually get it now. Two outputs of the multiswitch permanently activate/power each LNB (one for the H and one for the V). The receiver 'now' addresses which output (H or V) by the 13v and 18v signal it uses for polarity switching. Thanks for helping me out with that one!

comfrey. imagine it this way. an single output lnbf can supply horizontal and vertical polarity but only one at a time. a dual output lnbf can supply horizontal and vertical on either of its two outputs. a multiswitch needs a dual output lnbf to operate correctly (quads not mentioned for simplicity). the multiswitch assigns one output to horizontal and one output to vertical and can then supply both polarities to as many outputs as it has. some have 4, some have 8, etc. when using an orthomode feed you insert 18volts in between the lnb and multiswitch. this way the switch selects polarity based on the coax voltage between the reciever and switch and the lnb operates on 18volts like it requires.

crackt out,.

Dual Chap Feedhorn and two Norsat 8700L

Got a little UPS package today - - - and it was my C-Band only Dual Chaparral Feed Horn and two Norsat 8700 LNB's.

Now I must get this 10' CM in the air so I can give this thing a try !

Whoever said the setup is heavy is right. Each Norsat weighs just shy of a pound and the Feed horn weighs about 2.7 pounds. Thus this C-band only setup weighs about 4.7 pounds. I bet the Bulleye with everything installed can get real heavy.

For the price I got them for I'm very happy with this setup ! :)

Attachments

• Dual-Chap-Norsat8700.jpg
    Dual-Chap-Norsat8700.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 249
Got a little UPS package today - - - and it was my C-Band only Dual Chaparral Feed Horn and two Norsat 8700 LNB's.

Now I must get this 10' CM in the air so I can give this thing a try !

Whoever said the setup is heavy is right. Each Norsat weighs just shy of a pound and the Feed horn weighs about 2.7 pounds. Thus this C-band only setup weighs about 4.7 pounds. I bet the Bulleye with everything installed can get real heavy.

For the price I got them for I'm very happy with this setup ! :)

Once this is tuned up, you should be getting about the best possible C-band reception for your dish size. Enjoy it all and strut around a little while others struggle to get those high-FEC S2 feeds :)

In terms of heavy, take this feed package and add something like ADL's circular C-band ortho with another two Norsats. The ADL feed seems like a country mile long with the LNBs. I put both of these up together on my 10' Winegard. Fortunately the support arms are pretty strong. The little feed in the picture is the single linear ortho. Love those orthos.

Attachments

• East View.jpg
    East View.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 301
I use this same Chaparral feedhorn and Norsat LNBs on both my C band dishes. I use dual feedlines and these feedhorns and LNBs work like tanks. Best possible signal. I use Norsat 8515 and 8115 LNBs and I love them.

It is a 1329, just look on Chaparral's website at the dual feeds. I have one with two Norsat 8115's, excellent performance on a 7.5' SAMI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)