Thinking about signing up for Dish but have questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cdoyle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Hi,

I have Comcast now, but they keep raising my rates every year, and I'm tired of it.

I've been looking into Dish, and think I might sign up for their top 180 package.

Have a few questions though.
I would like to purchase the equipment, not really interested in leasing it.
I'm also interested in the DVR

Now I see they have this promo right now (I only have 2 TV's in my house)
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getdish/free_for_all/index.shtml

Now if I were to buy 1 311, and sign up for the top 180 package. Could I then buy a 508 off of ebay and add it too my account? Would dish charge me any extra to do something like this?

Or is there a better way to get a 508 that doesn't cost 300?

If Ebay is a good way to get a 508, what do the different cards types mean? I see that some have 'blue' cards, and others have 'yellow' cards?

I know to find out first if the card has a balance before buying it, but wasn't sure what the different in cards colors meant?

So what do you guys recommend doing?
Never had satellite TV before, and want to find out everything before signing up.
Thanks
Chris.

cdoyle - Since AA didn't explain it:
The 522 is a two-tuner/two-output model that will give you DVR functionality on 2 TV's. No upfront cost. But, there is a $5/mo "video on demand" fee, which is nothing more than "no added value, but we need the money" fee. It's still way cheaper than purchasing something off of eBay, and may be just what you need.
BTW, I also suggest looking into DirecTV. Their TC+ package w/locals is the same price as Dish's AT120 w/locals, but has almost all of the channels in AT180 (minus the Encore Theme Pack), plus about a half dozen channels not even available on Dish. Their standard tuners and install are free, and I beleieve their DVR units are either free or $50 after rebate. It's something to consider.

hmm,
That's something to think about with the 522.
So how does that work on 2 tv's? are there 2 recievers? or just 1?

I've seen some 508's on ebay for sale, right now they are around anywhere from 30-100 for used ones. One guy is located near me, so if I could arrange to meet him to pick up, instead of shipping it I could save $20 there.

Just wasn't sure about that blue/yellow card thing.

I have some friends who have directTV and have the TC+ and it's $47 a month here for 2 TV's. Plus, I think I would miss having Encore, and Movie Channel.

The 522 is one receiver with 2 independent outputs (so it acts like 2 single tuner dvrs linked together)

so you have to run a wire from the reciever to the other TV in the other room? Not sure I want to do that.

Yes, you do need a wire from the receiver to the other tv. Since you're allready wired for cable you can use the cable thats there to feed the signal to your other tv.

but I only have one wire that goes to TV #1 in the living room. I would need to run another wire 'out' of the living room, to go to TV #2.

I really don't need a DVR in the other room anyways.

I think I'll go back to the 508 option.

Plus $5 a month for the PVR that's $60 in a year. So after 3 years, I would be spending more, then if I would have just bought the 508 off ebay to start with.

Does Dish allow you to activate used equipment? As long as it not stolen, or have a balance? Is there a number you can call to verify the equipment is OK to activate?

Re: the monthly fee's you'd be paying the same ammount in monthly fees regardles of wether you rent or buy.

If you rent: $5 rent fee, $4.98 DVR fee
If you own: $4.99 mirror fee, $4.98 DVR fee

What's a mirror fee? I haven't heard that term before.
Plus with the 508's there wouldn't be a DVR fee I thought?

am I mistaken?

oh, d'oh! Yeah you're right, no fee on the 508

A mirror fee is a fee on every stb you have beyond your first (I was assuming you had more than 1 stb)

ahhhhh, OK.

well that would still be about $7 cheaper a month then comcast, plus I would get now get the Movie Channel, and a DVR.

You know what the difference in cards are? blue/yellow?

Be sure to get what NightRyder said. I would get actual number off the smartcard and the actual receiver # of the back. Then have the guy send a picture of the system info to confirm these #s and run that thru with dishnetork. There is something with the location ID you have to check also, if you have a certain value, the box is dead or something. You have to make sure the smart card # is the original card to that box b/c people mess with these. So ask dish to verify the card matches the box. Then find out balance on box and whether you can add to your account.

OK I'll do that.

I'm still concerned by the yellow/blue card thing. I don't want to buy something, and then find out, that a certain card type won't work with the programming package I want.

cdoyle said:
OK I'll do that.

I'm still concerned by the yellow/blue card thing. I don't want to buy something, and then find out, that a certain card type won't work with the programming package I want.

The yellow card is new one. Even if you purchased a blue card receiver E* would swap out the card before they discontinued the Nagra1 stream for 50X receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)