Thinking about switching from E* to D* DVR question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dallasiahawk

Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
I am looking at swithching to Directv from Dish to get the Big Ten Network. (and the promise of a lot of HD)

I think I am really going to miss my 622. Does Directv have anything comparable?

Specifically, I really want to be able to access the DVR from 2 rooms (even if the second one is SD).

Is there anyway to ge the TV1 and TV2 setup? Any other 3rd party solutions? I don't think TIVO will help. Home PC? Etc.?

Thanks for the help.

Assuming that you want the ability for both TV's to watch separate channels from the same receiver, then NO, D* does not have that capability.

If you want both TV's to be on the same channel, then you can do that with D*.

With D* is there any way to record something on the DVR that is located in the family room and then watch the recorded show on a different tv in my bedroom?

Outside of having two OTA tuners and the ability to receive all manner of programming from DIRECTV, the flagship DIRECTV HR20 doesn't have many practical advantages over the ViP622. It will do a passable job of serving up one channel at a time to a nearby TV. Additional SD televisions must be handled externally through modulators or through video distribution amplifiers.

Outside of having two OTA tuners

For those that live in areas that E doesn't offer HD locals, the one OTA tuner is a huge disadvantage since most people still watch more network programming than anything else. When D* started dropping TNT-HD during football season I was very close to switching to E*. But only having one OTA tuner combined with the lack of HD locals from E* for my area, caused me not to switch. With D*'s upcoming HD rollout I'm happy I stayed.

I talked to a friend at work today who was very close to signing up with E* at his new house. When I explained to him the thing with one OTA tuner/lack of HD locals from E*, he went with D* instead.

With D* is there any way to record something on the DVR that is located in the family room and then watch the recorded show on a different tv in my bedroom?

Jeff,

While it's possible...it would require either a long cable or a piece of 3rd party equipment. The HR-20s do not share among themselves the way some other DVRs do.

I really appreciate the replies. Seems like the best way to go would probably be to just purchase a standard DVR for the bedroom since I do not have an HDTV in there anyway.

Outside of having two OTA tuners and the ability to receive all manner of programming from DIRECTV, the flagship DIRECTV HR20 doesn't have many practical advantages over the ViP622. It will do a passable job of serving up one channel at a time to a nearby TV. Additional SD televisions must be handled externally through modulators or through video distribution amplifiers.

Or run a component cable to your other TV and connect the two that way. Then you can control the Rec. with the RF remote and change channel when you need too.

Jimbo

I really appreciate the replies. Seems like the best way to go would probably be to just purchase a standard DVR for the bedroom since I do not have an HDTV in there anyway.

Be sure to try the DVR4U2 code on the equipment order page. Last I saw, that would still get you a free DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts