Thinking about switching to D* from E* - Questions on install and "Genie"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JonBlack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Lowcountry, SC
Our household has just went from one HDTV in the family room to HDTVs in all rooms thanks to a bunch of Black Friday TV deals. We are currently with E* with an older 722 box that will no longer be sufficient for our family. We want a more robust solution with the DVR being accessible by everyone in the family. We have looked at the Hopper and it would probably work for us but we think the Genie will be better for our needs. The 5 independent tuners with the Genie would probably work better for us than the Hopper 3 tuners and PrimeTimeAnyTime.

Here are my questions on the Genie.

1) If I'm correct, you can only watch 4 independent channels at once, with the 5th tuner being reserved for recordings. Is this correct?

2) I hope I phrase this question in an understandable manner.

If I have the Genie box and 4 additional C31's, are the tuners tied to a specific box? e.g. tuner 1 is the main TV, tuner 2 is the bedroom, tuner 3 is the kitchen, etc. Or are the tuners independently allocated on an as need basis and tuner numbers don't work in that way? So if I'm recording two shows, is it set to tuner 1 and tuner 2 and those TVs/client boxes tied up where we can't watch something else on them, since their tuners are in use?

For example my E* 722 box has two tuners but there is a distinct tuner 1 on the main TV and a distinct tuner 2 for our other TVs. If you have a recording set to tuner 2, then you can't "check out" tuner 1 and that TV/feed is essentially tied up for the recording. It's a real hassle for us.

I know that might not have made sense above but hopefully someone will get it to some degree.

3) This may help clarify question #2. Are recordings assigned to a specific tuner?

4) Are the remotes for the Genie or C31's IR or RF? I'd like to "hide" the C31's if the remotes are RF based.

My install questions:

1) I have RG-6 going to main TV (where the Genie would be). Can RG-59 be used to feed the C31 boxes from the central node (assuming there is a central node/hub)? My house has a lot of RG-59 wiring feeding most of the smaller TV's in our house. Rewiring most of these TV's would be very costly as a lot of the cabling is on the outside walls on a slab/full brick house.

2) I'm in the Charleston, SC area. Can anyone tell me which satellite locations I'll need to be able to see? I've had an issue with one of E*'s satellite locations and I want to make sure not to waste anyone's time if we can't see the appropriate birds.

3) I really hate having a roof mounted dish. Is D* willing to mount to one of our deck post (4x4) that is secured in concrete?

4) Does D* remove a competitor's dish as part of the install?

5) Is there a place where I can easily compare D*'s various packages, perhaps in a PDF format? I can view this somewhat on their main page but the icons are large and it's impossible to see all of the channels listed on one page, making it hard to keep track of the differences.

I think that's it for now.

Thanks!

1) If I'm correct, you can only watch 4 independent channels at once, with the 5th tuner being reserved for recordings. Is this correct?

My system was installed Nov 20th so I'll tell you my understanding and others can chime in if I'm wrong. I don't see any issue with a HR34 and 3 clients to watch 4 live tv shows and have the 5th tuner doing recording. In my case, I have one HR34 and 1 client and I was able to watch football last Monday night on the client and the other 4 tuners were recording away so I was able to use all five tuners simultaneously to watch live tv or record shows.

If I have the Genie box and 4 additional C31's, are the tuners tied to a specific box? e.g. tuner 1 is the main TV, tuner 2 is the bedroom, tuner 3 is the kitchen, etc. Or are the tuners independently allocated on an as need basis and tuner numbers don't work in that way?

they seem to be assigned as needed - none of my recording timers have tuner indicators on them like the 625 did and I have had no error messages on the HR34 or client telling me a show couldn't be recorded because I was tying up that tuner watching live tv like I used to frequently get with the 625.

4) Are the remotes for the Genie or C31's IR or RF? I'd like to "hide" the C31's if the remotes are RF based.

Infrared. No blasters included (unless the installer kept them) so I don't know how how hard or easy it'd be to hide away the HR34 or C31 from view. C31 is no big deal because it's so tiny but the HR34 is pretty big. I think big boxes and hardware is beautiful since I am a tech lover but I know many would rather not see those "ugly" settop boxes.

My install questions:

1) I have RG-6 going to main TV (where the Genie would be). Can RG-59 be used to feed the C31 boxes from the central node (assuming there is a central node/hub)?

don't know for sure - I"m using RG-6. Based on what little info I was able to gather from the installer, I don't see why RG59 might not work for reasonable runs unless it's something to do with loss over long
runs.

2) I'm in the Charleston, SC area. Can anyone tell me which satellite locations I'll need to be able to see? I've had an issue with one of E*'s satellite locations and I want to make sure not to waste anyone's time if we can't see the appropriate birds.

101, 99 and 103 for sure and i don't know where charleston's locals are coming from so who knows what other slot you might need to see to get the locals part of your package.

3) I really hate having a roof mounted dish. Is D* willing to mount to one of our deck post (4x4) that is secured in concrete?

probably not. I tried that and installer said no for two reasons - the dish was too heavy to mount on my wood post and the dish site I wanted was on the other end of the yard from an acceptable grounding location. D* will not half-ass the install like DISH did and I give them props for not cutting corners so I would trust the installer because they seemed to be better trained than DISH installers and have a better feeling what is proper for the installation and what is not.

they better not. D* didn't remove mine, plus it will cost you some bucks if D* was to remove a competitor's dish because DISH needs some of those components back to avoid extra cancellation fees.

5) Is there a place where I can easily compare D*'s various packages, perhaps in a PDF format? I can

I thought directv.com was easy-peasy. The middle section scrolled with a scroll bar so I was able to look at like 5 different packages in columns with channels in rows that were in color or greyed out depending on which package level they were in.

my reply in bold above

Our household has just went from one HDTV in the family room to HDTVs in all rooms thanks to a bunch of Black Friday TV deals. We are currently with E* with an older 722 box that will no longer be sufficient for our family. We want a more robust solution with the DVR being accessible by everyone in the family. We have looked at the Hopper and it would probably work for us but we think the Genie will be better for our needs. The 5 independent tuners with the Genie would probably work better for us than the Hopper 3 tuners and PrimeTimeAnyTime.

Here are my questions on the Genie.

If I have the Genie box and 4 additional C31's, are the tuners tied to a specific box? e.g. tuner 1 is the main TV, tuner 2 is the bedroom, tuner 3 is the kitchen, etc. Or are the tuners independently allocated on an as need basis and tuner numbers don't work in that way? So if I'm recording two shows, is it set to tuner 1 and tuner 2 and those TVs/client boxes tied up where we can't watch something else on them, since their tuners are in use?

For example my E* 722 box has two tuners but there is a distinct tuner 1 on the main TV and a distinct tuner 2 for our other TVs. If you have a recording set to tuner 2, then you can't "check out" tuner 1 and that TV/feed is essentially tied up for the recording. It's a real hassle for us.

I know that might not have made sense above but hopefully someone will get it to some degree.

3) This may help clarify question #2. Are recordings assigned to a specific tuner?

My install questions:

1) I have RG-6 going to main TV (where the Genie would be). Can RG-59 be used to feed the C31 boxes from the central node (assuming there is a central node/hub)? My house has a lot of RG-59 wiring feeding most of the smaller TV's in our house. Rewiring most of these TV's would be very costly as a lot of the cabling is on the outside walls on a slab/full brick house.

5) Is there a place where I can easily compare D*'s various packages, perhaps in a PDF format? I can view this somewhat on their main page but the icons are large and it's impossible to see all of the channels listed on one page, making it hard to keep track of the differences.

I think that's it for now.

Thanks!

Hello JonBlack,

I will try to answer some of your questions. Genie # 1 & 3 The 5 tuners are totally independent so the next available tuner is doing whatever you request it to do such as watching a program or recording a program. # 2 You can have any number of C31's but the Genie will only let 3 be used at any 1 time. If you think you need to have 4 additional units capable of playing beside the Genie than you might want to use one or more of the H2s or even the H24 receivers which have an active tuner and do not use one of the Genie's tuners. With the Whole Home service you can see a unified playlist from all DVR's (this will become more important if you have additional DVR's). Try to get all your needed equipment now as additional equipment installed in the future could bring about increased prices for the equipment and an additional time that you are obligated to keep the service. # 4 The DirecTV remotes all have IR but some have RF also (mode number of the remote is usually at the top left on the remote - example of an RF remote RC65RX while a similar IR remote is the RC65).
Install questions (I am not an installer so my answers are at best somewhat iffy) # 1 It might work but the installer could object to RG59. # 2 The satellites are located at 99 degrees, 101 degrees 103 degrees, 110 degrees and 119 degrees. 101 is where the standard definition signals for the most part come from. 99 and 103 is where the majority of high definition signals come from 110 is currently not actively broadcasting and 119 is mostly Spanish and other programming including a few musical channels (Sonic is the current music provider) and in some markets the local channels instead of 101. As to # 3 and # 4 I do not know the answers. #5 http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/packages/overview?lpos=header
View all packages on the page with the packages you have the ability to print the channels. I am not sure if they still have the packages in pdf form as I have not looked for them in quite a while.
The satellite dish that will be installed is called a Slimline. There are variations. # 1 Sees only 99, 101 and 103 satellites. # 1 has the capability of 8 or 16 tuners depending upon your equipment. # 2 Sees 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119 satellites. # 2 also has the capability of 8 or 16 tuners again dependent upon your equipment. With your current information you only have 5 tuners so your dish would be # 1 or # 2 with 8 tuner capability. To determine the number of tuners Genie (HR34) has 5 tuners, other DVR's have 2 tuners, receivers have 1 tuner and clients (C31's have no tuner but must use a tuner from the Genie). Again if you exceed 8 tuners then the satellite dish must be capable of supporting 16 tuners. I believe that other people will respond and even correct me wherever my information is wrong. :eek: Happy viewing.

Thanks for the replies. I think all of my questions were definitely answered. The Genie and C31's sounds like the way for us to go. The only real issue that remains is the RG-59 wiring feeding the C31's.

I found a PDF version of the D* channel listings broken down by package right in the stickies here at SatGuys!

Also, online it says we will receive the "DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit". I know this is used for VOD but is it actually required for anything else pertaining to whole home DVR setup? Also, would we get a wireless version by default? We don't have hard wired ethernet where the Genie will be located.

skysurfer,

I like the boxes, especially the Genie. The issue is that in a couple of rooms our TV's are wall mounted and it would be nice if I didn't have to have a stand for the C31 on those TVs. If I can hide the C31 behind the TV and buy a RF remote, that would be good.

Caseyf57,

We are going to get a fourth C31 and pay the subsidized extra equipment cost. We shouldn't have an issue with needing to use more than three C31's at once. So this shouldn't be an issue. We just want the extra C31 client for an extra room.

Also, I think we might need the 5 LNB setup as we want to receive some of the Spanish programming available in the English package we are getting. According to the information I read, a couple of the Spanish channels are on 119.

Thanks!

I just had a new Genie, 3 C31s and a H25 installed. The DECA (Cinema Connection Kit) doesn't have to be located where the Genie is. The installer put mine in my wiring closet where the 8 way splitter is, along side the power inserter. Both of which are connected to one of the outputs on the 8 way splitter. My DECA is connected to my network via ethernet to my switch, which is also in the wiring closet. But I'd imagine the installer will have both available, wired and wireless.

Our installer left 3 RF capable remotes and 2 IR remotes with our new system. My understanding is that they have both available and can use their own discretion on which to leave. So if you want them hidden, I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

I got the H25 instead of a 4th C31, since it has it's own tuner. I kind of wish I would have gotten 2 H25s and 2 C31s now, in order to free another tuner on the Genie. At the time, I didn't see it being an issue but we've never had a DVR before and now it seems everybody wants to watch something different and record something else all at the same time.

Last edited:
Also, online it says we will receive the "DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit". I know this is used for VOD but is it actually required for anything else pertaining to whole home DVR setup? Also, would we get a wireless version by default? We don't have hard wired ethernet where the Genie will be located.

skysurfer,

I like the boxes, especially the Genie. The issue is that in a couple of rooms our TV's are wall mounted and it would be nice if I didn't have to have a stand for the C31 on those TVs. If I can hide the C31 behind the TV and buy a RF remote, that would be good.

I think you probably have to have your receiver hooked up to the internet - it's my understanding that in addition to VOD, they also do location checks using the internet (whereas old school was phone line) and I bet when I schedule a recording with my ipod touch 4G directv app, it sends my request to the HR34 via the internet connection instead of some satellite datastream at the 101 slot.

i don't know if the C31 can work with an RF remote (both my remotes are IR) so who knows if you can tuck the C31 away instead of having it line of sight. If it were me, I'd homebrew a bracket and attach it to the tv wallmount that would give me a small shelf right below the wallmounted tv to hold the lightweight C31 but then again I don't have any sensitive wife or gf that might complain that it looks ugly to have the C31 in view. I'm definitely a function over form type of guy!

We are going to get a fourth C31 and pay the subsidized extra equipment cost. We shouldn't have an issue with needing to use more than three C31's at once. So this shouldn't be an issue. We just want the extra C31 client for an extra room.

Also, I think we might need the 5 LNB setup as we want to receive some of the Spanish programming available in the English package we are getting. According to the information I read, a couple of the Spanish channels are on 119.

Thanks!
As far as the Directv Cinema no its only for On demand. Your Whole home is ran through Coax , The Swim system does all that. But if you get the cinema connection kit, nothing has to be hard wired except for the DECA Broadband adapter. That feeds the internet thought the coax. None of the C31,s or the HR 34 need a direct internet connection. the HR24's don't either.

Another option too if your worried about tuners for room 5, you can add, for a fee of course, H25, ($99) it would only use a tuner off the HR34 if you decide to record or watch a recorded show. But you can watch live tv without any interruption to your other 4 rooms.

and I bet when I schedule a recording with my ipod touch 4G directv app, it sends my request to the HR34 via the internet connection instead of some satellite datastream at the 101 slot.
This very well could be true!

I would not turn down the Internet connection kit anyway. Its free and they install it.

As far as the Directv Cinema no its only for On demand. Your Whole home is ran through Coax , The Swim system does all that. But if you get the cinema connection kit, nothing has to be hard wired except for the DECA Broadband adapter. That feeds the internet thought the coax. None of the C31,s or the HR 34 need a direct internet connection. the HR24's don't either.

Another option too if your worried about tuners for room 5, you can add, for a fee of course, H25, ($99) it would only use a tuner off the HR34 if you decide to record or watch a recorded show. But you can watch live tv without any interruption to your other 4 rooms.

That's interesting if I understand it correctly. I have to pay extra for a fourth C31, so it probably makes better sense to pay more to get an actual receiver than a client. If I get the HD receiver (non-DVR), can I access all of the DVR recordings, delete recordings and set up recordings for the Genie? Also, the tuner will be independent, essentially giving me a 6th "live" tuner, unless I wanted to record? The HD receiver doesn't say which model it is but does say "WH", which I assume is Whole House. If it can't access and control the Genie then the extra tuner isn't as functional for us.

This very well could be true!

I would not turn down the Internet connection kit anyway. Its free and they install it.

I don't want to turn it down but I'm concerned about getting it wired into my network. Where my router is located, I cannot easily get a coax connection to it, except the pesky RG-59 wiring that will be feeding a C31. I see that they have a wireless CCK and if that is provided, then I'm ready to go on it.

I just had a new Genie, 3 C31s and a H25 installed. The DECA (Cinema Connection Kit) doesn't have to be located where the Genie is. The installer put mine in my wiring closet where the 8 way splitter is, along side the power inserter. Both of which are connected to one of the outputs on the 8 way splitter. My DECA is connected to my network via ethernet to my switch, which is also in the wiring closet. But I'd imagine the installer will have both available, wired and wireless.

Our installer left 3 RF capable remotes and 2 IR remotes with our new system. My understanding is that they have both available and can use their own discretion on which to leave. So if you want them hidden, I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

I got the H25 instead of a 4th C31, since it has it's own tuner. I kind of wish I would have gotten 2 H25s and 2 C31s now, in order to free another tuner on the Genie. At the time, I didn't see it being an issue but we've never had a DVR before and now it seems everybody wants to watch something different and record something else all at the same time.

Your situation sounds very similar to ours. I guess I'll need to have some faith ) that I'll get a good installer and that they'll have what we need.

That's interesting if I understand it correctly. I have to pay extra for a fourth C31, so it probably makes better sense to pay more to get an actual receiver than a client. If I get the HD receiver (non-DVR), can I access all of the DVR recordings, delete recordings and set up recordings for the Genie? Also, the tuner will be independent, essentially giving me a 6th "live" tuner, unless I wanted to record? The HD receiver doesn't say which model it is but does say "WH", which I assume is Whole House. If it can't access and control the Genie then the extra tuner isn't as functional for us.

They will more then likly give you H25. But H24 are fine too. It will be installed into your Whole Home system. And Yes it would be 6 Tuners.
You can set to record from the H25- the Hr34, And playback on H25

But remember the HR34 will only Stream 3 remote rooms max. So if all 3 other Client rooms are in use , you will only be able to wach Live TV on the H25, you will not be able record off the H25 untill one of the clients is not in use.
But thats better then a 4th Client that won't allow you to do anything.

OP, if you're getting an HR34 "Genie" - you don't need a CCK if your router is near the HR34 receiver. Just connect an Ethernet cable from your router to the back of the HR34 and you're all set. This is much more simplified and rids of the clutter involved with the CCK.....not to mention that those things gets very hot.

I've had a direct Ethernet connection to my HR34 for over a month now and I have access to On-Demand, Youtube, Pandora and other internet apps/features. Just an FYI.

I think you probably have to have your receiver hooked up to the internet - it's my understanding that in addition to VOD, they also do location checks using the internet (whereas old school was phone line) and I bet when I schedule a recording with my ipod touch 4G directv app, it sends my request to the HR34 via the internet connection instead of some satellite datastream at the 101 slot.

i don't know if the C31 can work with an RF remote (both my remotes are IR) so who knows if you can tuck the C31 away instead of having it line of sight. If it were me, I'd homebrew a bracket and attach it to the tv wallmount that would give me a small shelf right below the wallmounted tv to hold the lightweight C31 but then again I don't have any sensitive wife or gf that might complain that it looks ugly to have the C31 in view. I'm definitely a function over form type of guy!

The C31s work great with the RF remotes. I have 2 of them working with RC65RX remotes, both in RF mode. Apparently the C31s have a built in RF remote antenna, as there isn't a connection for an antenna on it.

Last edited:
OP, if you're getting an HR34 "Genie" - you don't need a CCK if your router is near the HR34 receiver. Just connect an Ethernet cable from your router to the back of the HR34 and you're all set. This is much more simplified and rids of the clutter involved with the CCK.....not to mention that those things gets very hot.

I've had a direct Ethernet connection to my HR34 for over a month now and I have access to On-Demand, Youtube, Pandora and other internet apps/features. Just an FYI.
HR 34 has a Built in DECA, you don't need to connect it to a router.

Your DECA Broadband adapter, that comes free with your connection kit, gets Hooked to your router, Via Ethernet, and sends internet access through Coax to all your networked Receivers.

HR 34 has a Built in DECA, you don't need to connect it to a router.

Your DECA Broadband adapter, that comes free with your connection kit, gets Hooked to your router, Via Ethernet, and sends internet access through Coax to all your networked Receivers.

Much easier (and less clutter) in my case to hook up the Ethernet directly to the back of the HR34 instead of using an adapter. Why add another box/unit/adapter to your set-up when you can just run a single Ethernet cable to the receiver itself and eliminate the "middle man."

Now if your router is not close to the HR34 - then I completely understand your method, which would be preferred in this case.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts