Thinking about switching to Dish. Some antenna questions.

piotroosh

Original poster
May 17, 2005
Hi,
I'm thinking about switching to Dish (was with cable for a while). I called a local dealer to get some questions answered, but I got even more confused ;-)
I'm interested in Dish America package + International (Polish) package. They initially told me that I will need 2 antennas. I asked why, they said that it used to be one, but Dish is changing something and now they require two. I said that this is a deal breaker for me, because I hate the way antennas look on the house. I could kinda hide one, but two antennas is just too much for me. So I got a call the next day from the installer, and they said that they can do 1 antenna after all. (for both US + Polish channels).
Is that true? Will 1 antenna be enough?
I have a feeling that dish is moving the international channels to a different satellite (hence the 2nd dish requirement for new customers), but this installer is is trying to push me to get the install done with 1 dish, and then they will tell me I need 2 antennas few months later.
SO my main question is... will 1 antenna be enough? If so, which antenna would it be?
and question #2.. seems like I will need to feed 3 tvs + sling box. (4 tuners?). They told me that I can have only 3 receivers. But what about dual tuner receivers? does it mean I could feed up to 6 tvs? Is there an extra "per tuner" fee? or is it just "per receiver"? (or none at all?)

Thanks!

Piotr

Where ya located?

Dish has all International channels on 118.7. They had some on 61.5 but they are being migrated off.
Depending on location you may get a Eastern Arc dish. That sees 61.5/72/77 and depending on market might have your locals on it
Western arc sees 110/119/129. They have a dish (1000+) that sees 110/119/129 and 118.7 (for Int'l)

If you are on Eastern arc you would need two dishes (61.5/72/77 and 118.7)

checking the OP's other posts from a while ago he mentions Connecticut

If that is still true then yes you would need 2 dishes.

Thanks for quick response.
Yep, I'm in CT.

So why they claim they can get it to work using only 1 dish?
It seems like the international channels I'm interested in are on 118.7 (just checked on lyngsat).
I'm not sure where dish has their HD programming. But if it's on 110/119. Could they use dISH 1000+?

I really want Dish, but 2 antenna installation is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. Is there any way to get it done with 1 dish?

Thanks!

You could....possibly as long as you have line of site to 129. But if they put you on western arc (110/118/119/129) you wouldnt get your locals in HD. They would only be in SD. Now depending on the model of receiver you get you could hook up an antenna to the receiver and get the locals in HD that way

I know that years ago I was picking up 110/119 (dish 500) for my programming. Is it still possible (with dish 1000+)? Would it work for me?

If you go with Western Arc the HD is mainly on 129. There are 1/2 dozen HD channels on 110. SD programming is 110 & 119

Thanks for quick response.
Yep, I'm in CT.

So why they claim they can get it to work using only 1 dish?
It seems like the international channels I'm interested in are on 118.7 (just checked on lyngsat).
I'm not sure where dish has their HD programming. But if it's on 110/119. Could they use dISH 1000+?

I really want Dish, but 2 antenna installation is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. Is there any way to get it done with 1 dish?

Thanks!

It all comes down to this. Your locals are in HD only on the ARC that does not face where the Polish channels are, 118.7. If you don't care about HD local channels, OR if you have an antenna and get them that way and don't care if you get them in HD from Dish, you could have one Dish. As mentioned above, that assumes you can see the 129 satellite, sometimes hard in Ct.

Thanks for the info. . Yeah, I have a clear view of the sky in that direction so 129 should be "doable". I'll see what the installer says. Now at least I know what's going on thanks to you guys.
Have a great weekend!

Could he not put an amplifier inline with the dish to boost the 129 sat signal?

It's not a matter of signal strength, it's the position in the sky. The Eastern Arc satellites are higher. He says he has a clear view so should be all set except no HD locals from SAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)