Thinking about switching?Voom service still sucks!

I never said they were good, but would you agree they (on E*) look better then two years ago, my SD locals in general looked awful back then, but now they are almost watchable.

I have DirectvHD pack and VOOM and I can tell you when compared to each other its a wash. They are about the same in PQ. Voom has certain problems with HD ch's like EQHD but some of their other ch's are good like RAVE. I understand PQ means alot...but Dish just doesnt have enough HD ch's even to warrant a HD receiver purchase.

Sean Mota said:
There are some of us who have VOOM and E* and don't see what reliability issues you are talking about. Both have problems with software and hardware and as customers you learn to live with the little bugs. Even D* has its own. Just be content with what you've got. No need to bad mouth anyone. Just look at the E* and D* forum and let me know if there is happy land there as well.

I can only speak for myself. For those that have Voom working and installed reliably; congrats I'm, jealous. I had E* for 5 years. Never a problem with hardware/software (501&508) and the SD PQ was always outstanding on every channel. I've had D* for 6months now. I had to have my HD Tivo swapped once. PQ on all channels SD and HD (except for ShoHD) have been outstanding.

Thats how D* and E* work for me. I guess thhats whey they have 24,000,000 subs and V* 24,000.

vinnyv07 said:
I have DirectvHD pack and VOOM and I can tell you when compared to each other its a wash. They are about the same in PQ. Voom has certain problems with HD ch's like EQHD but some of their other ch's are good like RAVE. I understand PQ means alot...but Dish just doesnt have enough HD ch's even to warrant a HD receiver purchase.

They have just as many as D* (except NBC-HD but most people can't get the distant networks anyways,and of course Universal-HD, but E* has TNT-HD ) , my 811 cost me $99.00 (upgrade special) , where most of its value comes from being a OTA receiver also.

bruce said:
I never said they were good, but would you agree they (on E*) look better then two years ago, my SD locals in general looked awful back then, but now they are almost watchable.

Nope. I can never say that. Since dish introduce SD LIL channels, their picture degraded to a point where it is unwatchable. I used to have dish before SD LIL and that's when you can honestly say that the SD picture looked respectable. Since the introduction of SD LIL, it has been down hill.

zubinh said:
I guess thhats whey they have 24,000,000 subs and V* 24,000.

Quite incorrect. I also have E* and the pq of SD channels have been nothing but degrading with the introduction of SD LIL. Anyone who had E* before SD LIL could see the difference very easily. Today, I wouldn't watch SD channels on any provider because the PQ is just awful. That's the truth. As to the number of subscribers you are completly wrong about it that's not the reason. It takes more than that.

Sean Mota said:
Nope. I can never say that. Since dish introduce SD LIL channels, their picture degraded to a point where it is unwatchable. I used to have dish before SD LIL and that's when you can honestly say that the SD picture looked respectable. Since the introduction of SD LIL, it has been down hill.

It is amazing that we all talking about the same thing, but not, I agree about the locals, but I said in the last two years, well after by a few years they started offering locals, that I have noticed improvments in the SD picture, even in my SD locals which at first was so awful I was glad for OTA, but their has been improvments in the SD picture, not as good as before in the past, but a little better.

Hmmm, whom should we trust:

zubinh: "SD PQ was always outstanding on every channel",

or

Sean Mota: "Since dish introduce SD LIL channels, their picture degraded to a point where it is unwatchable"

"Outstanding" or "unwatchable". zubinh or Sean Mota.

Am I the only only who is sceptical about "outstanding SD PQ"? :)

You can believe me, I say medium PQ, but we all know HD is better.

I personally don't watch SD channels via satellite (unless it's so important). SD via satellite is not even at the level of some SD channels via OTA. Again OTA depends on the area.

andrzej said:

or

Sean Mota: "Since dish introduce SD LIL channels, their picture degraded to a point where it is unwatchable"

I find myself sitting here giggling at this. I agree with you.

Sean Mota said:
There are some of us who have VOOM and E* and don't see what reliability issues you are talking about. Both have problems with software and hardware and as customers you learn to live with the little bugs. Even D* has its own. Just be content with what you've got. No need to bad mouth anyone. Just look at the E* and D* forum and let me know if there is happy land there as well.

Cable, VOOM, E*, and D* all have problems. That's a given.
VOOM just has tons more than anyone else.
VOOM could only hope that their biggest issue these days was the lack of NBR on their HD-PVR.
But since I shouldn't be bad mouthing anyone just forget I said that.

voomster2 said:
Cable, VOOM, E*, and D* all have problems. That's a given.
VOOM just has tons more than anyone else.
VOOM could only hope that their biggest issue these days was the lack of NBR on their HD-PVR.
But since I shouldn't be bad mouthing anyone just forget I said that.

I agree that Voom has more problems than other already well-established satellite providers. However, I see it as a "no pain no gain" situation. In other words, I am willing to deal with those additional problems (at least for now) in exchange for the HD experience that Voom is providing and/or promising. Maybe I am lucky, but I have not experienced many problems that others described here. Therefore for me the choice of Voom for HD programming is a no-brainer. :)

Ilya said:
We, customers, may not like this, but any other company would've told you the same thing. If the installer's trip is payed for by D*, V* cannot authorize the installer to do anything for them at the same time. D* could sue them if they did. They have to schedule a separate trip, and pay for it.
ilya , you are wrong. once i sign off on the paperwork for D, the installer is free to do whatever work he can,he is not a voom installer he works for a different entity altogether . oh yeah by the way, even the voom manager i spoke to agreed, he said it was stupid of the person that took the call not to have allowed it it is done a lot, so either he lied or or you are wrong, my guess is he lied because i know you wont admit you are wrong

andrzej said:

or

I guess 11 million E* subscribers are watching "unwatchable" SD. As for who you should trust, I'll say this. I'm just a regular joe. Sean on the other hand works for a website sponsored by Voom. He was just given a $500 check from Voom, and he just received a nice card from Voom employees congratulating him on his "award".

Hmmmm................. :rolleyes:

Sean Mota said:
I am not saying that VOOM is not ultimately responsible but the fact still remains that your local installer could not do the job. Whether he was lying or not, I do not know and my guess is that you do not know either. But we all know that sometimes excuses are made up. Anyway, steve based on your bad experience, you made up your mind and you spoken with your wallet which is the ultimate power that every consumer has. I was just trying to share some light on how the system works and not trying to say that there was not one responsible for your fiasco. Good luck to you.
Sean , you have shed no light ont the business at all, Bad Business is bad business no matter how you spin it, as for the av business , Sean i am very well versed in Business practices thruout A/V and standing behind a product, i often subcontract out work and if the sub screws up i fix it, again because i am ultimately responsible i hired him. if the screw ups continue i fire the sub as i have done a few times in the past year and will continue to do in the future because i again it is my responsibility , my name is on the business to make sure the customer is satisfied.

steve,

believe what yuo want to believe. If that's your opinion, let it be it and let's move on. No sense in pounding on the same thing all over.

zubinh said:
I guess 11 million E* subscribers are watching "unwatchable" SD. As for who you should trust, I'll say this. I'm just a regular joe. Sean on the other hand works for a website sponsored by Voom. He was just given a $500 check from Voom, and he just received a nice card from Voom employees congratulating him on his "award".

Hmmmm................. :rolleyes:

zubinh, there is no doubt that Sean has done a tremendous job helping many people with Voom or interested in Voom. What constructive have you done here? Please refresh our memory.

zubinh said:
I guess 11 million E* subscribers are watching "unwatchable" SD. ....

You bet. Mostly because many of them don't know any better. How many of them have more than one provider to compare the PQ?