Thinking about the switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gampp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I've been a Dish Customer for a few years on the old HD only package that is no longer offered. The package is the best deal around, but I want to add a second receiver and they won't let me do it without buying one outright as my package is no longer a qualifying package. That coupled with the current D* deal has me thinking about switching. I've seen a few mentions on here about the new HR24 that is coming out. If I'm thinking about switching, should I wait for the new box to be released, or is there not much difference between it and the current model. I know all about the E* equipment, but nothing about the boxes offered by D*. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
No opinions on this? My only concern with switching to D* is the DVRs as I have not heard good things about them. Maybe that's unfounded, but I don't have any hands on experience with them. From the first look post on the HR24, it appears that it is quite a bit faster than the current boxes, but I don't have experience with the current generation to know if that's a huge deal. Should I make the switch now, or wait a month or two for the new boxes to be released? Help!

The current DVRs are slow. It doesn't bother me since I don't do a lot of channel surfing. Other than that, I'm quite happy with them. Decent amount of storage and you can always pop an external drive on there to make it larger. (If you're going that route, do it right away. It doesn't add to the internal drive, it replaces it)

I have 2 HD DVRs from D*, a HR20-100 and a HR20-700. Both are good, dependable machines, and run relatively problem free. I find the guide easy to navigate, setting recording preferences is simple, and they interface perfectly with my Harmony remote. I am satisfied with their performance. The only frustration I have with D* is the audio dropouts on both my receivers. I believe it to be a broadcast issue, not an issue with the box, and if you look around you will see I'm not alone experiencing this issue, but it is a problem. It does not affect my 2 R-15s, which are also OK machines, but SD only.

I have both! But my go to system is dish

I've been a Dish Customer for a few years on the old HD only package that is no longer offered. The package is the best deal around, but I want to add a second receiver and they won't let me do it without buying one outright as my package is no longer a qualifying package. That coupled with the current D* deal has me thinking about switching. I've seen a few mentions on here about the new HR24 that is coming out. If I'm thinking about switching, should I wait for the new box to be released, or is there not much difference between it and the current model. I know all about the E* equipment, but nothing about the boxes offered by D*. Thanks for your help.

I have both...

Dish has the best hardware out there..Period!

Direc has best sports! Plus slightly better HD picture.
Dvrs have some neat features. However they are painfully slow\clunky.
While my units have been problem free, they are not great machines.

However, when all is said and done my preference is always dish..

Stay with Dish. I switched to Dish & it's actually cheaper per month when all the promotions run out.

Not necessarily true. I want two HD DVRs and a package that includes Vs. That means I have to subscribe to the America's 250 on Dish which is $62.99 + $10 HD + $6 DVR + $10 additional box = $88.99. On DirecTv, the Choice Xtra is $63.99 + $10 HD + $7 DVR + $5 additional box = $85.99. With the promotions that they are running, I save a huge amount over the next 12 months and a decent amount for the 12 months after that. When that all ends, I'll be out of contract and can re-evaluate my provider. Plus, I like the HD channels that D* that E* doesn't better than the ones that E* has that D* doesn't. Seems like a no-brainer to me now that I've looked into it.

I recently switched back to Direct after having Dish, I was long time Direct, just wanted a change. I missed some of the choices Direct has, hopefully soon a few of the channels I do miss will be on Direct in HD. But untill then I am glad to be back with Direct

I finally decided to go ahead and am scheduled for the install on Monday. I've been on the Dish HD Absolute package for over two years. It was a great deal, but I'm looking forward to having my RSNs again. The only HD channel I'll miss is Travel and that's on the coming soon list, so I should be in good shape.

I finally decided to go ahead and am scheduled for the install on Monday. I've been on the Dish HD Absolute package for over two years. It was a great deal, but I'm looking forward to having my RSNs again. The only HD channel I'll miss is Travel and that's on the coming soon list, so I should be in good shape.

Same here in missing travel in HD, but I heard its coming "soon" I you like Baseball at all, you will love MLB Network and you would never know it but RSN do show other HD other then "Game only" something I have learned in my first week back with Direct

Not necessarily true. I want two HD DVRs and a package that includes Vs. That means I have to subscribe to the America's 250 on Dish which is $62.99 + $10 HD + $6 DVR + $10 additional box = $88.99. On DirecTv, the Choice Xtra is $63.99 + $10 HD + $7 DVR + $5 additional box = $85.99.
Well to be fair Choice Ultimate is more like Top 250, At $68.99 ,and HD Platinum that E* charges only $10 for, D* would cost you an Addtional $4.99 for their HD extra pack. And you still would end up with far less HD channels.

So All in All E* is the better Value over D* when your talking about 3 rooms or less of HD DVR service .
This has been debated and Proven over and over.
D* is a higher priced service to the average customer.

Well to be fair Choice Ultimate is more like Top 250, At $68.99 ,and HD Platinum that E* charges only $10 for, D* would cost you an Addtional $4.99 for their HD extra pack. And you still would end up with far less HD channels.

So All in All E* is the better Value over D* when your talking about 3 rooms or less of HD DVR service .

That's probably true if you're comparing exact to exact, but in my case D* is cheaper. I have a few requirements and getting Vs. in HD is one of them (need the NHL). Direct has Vs. in their mid-tier package and Dish doesn't, so I'd be forced into the 250 pack on Dish that includes a bunch of channels I don't want or need. I don't care about the channels in the Platinum/Extra packs and didn't watch the HD channels I'm losing from Dish (except Travel, which is coming soon). I was just pointing out that it's not true to make the blanket statement that Dish is cheaper for everyone. That's why competition is so great.

It usually boils down to programming. Direct carries RSNs in HD 24/7, not the silly "game only, if we have bandwidth" HD program that Dish has. Every Red Sox game I've watched since October 2008 has been in HD. I had been a Dish customer since 1996.

Having a great "Directv Moment" right now, Catching Tigers/Padres World series highlights on MLB Network I would have not been able to see this, if I were with Dish!

Do you have a link to one of the DEBATES?

What does D* & E* stand for? (My guess is D!SH & D!RECT)

I'm gonna fire TWC and get Satellite, I have 3 HD setups in our house, one with a HD-DVR, we subscribe to just about everything they have to offer, Who between the satellite companies offer the best quality/quantity HD, DVR, & Satisfaction?

I figured I'd post in this thread so as not to clutter the site with redundant threads.

LQQK

There are other factors than price involved. Dish has better hardware, but DirecTV has better picture quality due to almost double the bitrate with the same compression technology and they do 1080i at its full 1920x1080 resolution. Dish reduces the resolution to 1440x1080i and you can really tell it on a larger 1080p television.

If you care about picture quality then you will probably choose DirecTV. Plus, until someone sits down and compares the prices and channels they want, no one can state which company has the better deal for a particular person. I quite enjoy having a guarantee that my sports will be on in HD. Multiroom viewing and no outrageous receiver fees are other pluses to DirecTV. Also, Dish's On Demand service is abysmal. I have sided with D* after having used both services, with Dish being the most recent.

I'm gonna fire TWC and get Satellite, I have 3 HD setups in our house, one with a HD-DVR, we subscribe to just about everything they have to offer, Who between the satellite companies offer the best quality/quantity HD, DVR, & Satisfaction?

I figured I'd post in this thread so as not to clutter the site with redundant threads.

LQQK

DirecTV has better HD quality and Dish has more quantity and a better performing DVR. Satisfaction is up to the user. I was not satisfied with the picture quality on Dish or the way they handled their sports channels in HD. I also got sick of having no MLB Network and no hope for either that or ESPNU HD. DirecTV's HD channel for ESPNU is supposedly due on Wednesday. Even if it isn't out on Wednesday, it is coming, and that is more than I can say for Dish. I attend the University of Tennessee, and watching college sports is important to me. I'd prefer to not watch on the Dish Network Youtube quality version of ESPNU in SD.

I cannot, in good faith, recommend Dish. Some people are happy with Dish and you may be too, but it will take someone else if you want to be convinced to use it. It may suit your needs perfectly. Only you will really know. For the record. D* = DirecTV and E* = Dish Network. The E is for Echostar, which Dish was spun off from.

LQQK

Imo, the question that I'd ask before making a decision is, what kind of programming do you (or family members) prefer? If you're wanting the maximum sports coverage, there's no question that DTV is the way to go.

If you're primarily interested in the most movie channels, from what I've read here, Dish seems to be the leader in that category. However, as you may be aware, DTV recently launched a new bird that's about to go online which will add more movie channels and also add more of the "national" channels (ie, Travel Network, WGN HD, etc) into DTV's programming choices. I'd recommend waiting another month or so and see how DTV's new sattelite expands their channel choices.

As primarily a sports fan, I can tell you that there's no choice but DTV in that genre. They have MLB EI, Sunday Ticket, and more overall sports coverage than Dish. That's why I've been with DTV since '99 and it's also why I've never considered Dish as my provider choice.

Imo, the question that I'd ask before making a decision is, what kind of programming do you (or family members) prefer? If you're wanting the maximum sports coverage, there's no question that DTV is the way to go.

If you're primarily interested in the most movie channels, from what I've read here, Dish seems to be the leader in that category. However, as you may be aware, DTV recently launched a new bird that's about to go online which will add more movie channels and also add more of the "national" channels (ie, Travel Network, WGN HD, etc) into DTV's programming choices. I'd recommend waiting another month or so and see how DTV's new sattelite expands their channel choices.

As primarily a sports fan, I can tell you that there's no choice but DTV in that genre. They have MLB EI, Sunday Ticket, and more overall sports coverage than Dish. That's why I've been with DTV since '99 and it's also why I've never considered Dish as my provider choice.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. I start with programming, because if the provider doesn't have what I want to watch, all of the other drawing points are moot. For me, it's Directv because I am a Yankee fan. Directv has the YES network, Dish doesn't. End of story, for me anyway. YMMV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)