Thinking of Dumping Dish

GuardMan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2004
With the news about D* future HD possibilities and the lack of a quality HD recorder, I feel that E* just does not have much to offer me anymore. I joined because they said and were at the time the leader in HD.

But now, really, what reasons are there to stay? What does E* have that D* does not? It seems that D* has a lot more going for themselves. And even if Charlie or any of his peeps say that something (or anything) is coming soon, CAN YOU REALLY BELEIVE THEM?!?!?!? Too many broken (or at least very delayed) promises for me.

Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on ME. How many times have we been fooled by Charlie Tuna?

I think I may just email Charlie and tell him that I am leaving because E* is no longer "Compelling" to me anymore.

Now I fully understand why Microsoft was so success with the PR tactics. The D* announcement is an announcement only and at this point is vaporware. If they are successful on executing the plan and Dish does not counter, I would expect a good number of HD dish folks to jump and I would not blame them.

Boy it does not take much.... If I had a nickle for ever PR announcement that did not become fact I would be a rich man. I am not saying that D* will not follow through on this announcement. What I am saying is that to make decisions at this time based on this announcement in my opinion is a bit pre-mature.

I see this announcement good for both D* and E*. If E* wants to compete in this space they will step up. If not, we will see where their commitment lies. Boy never seen so many sky is falling folks. I better get my umbrella out.

But it might be worth making the move now/soon since the annual NFL-ST promotion is running which can save a few $'s.

WeeJavaDude said:
Now I fully understand why Microsoft was so success with the PR tactics. The D* announcement is an announcement only and at this point is vaporware. If they are successful on executing the plan and Dish does not counter, I would expect a good number of HD dish folks to jump and I would not blame them.

Boy it does not take much.... If I had a nickle for ever PR announcement that did not become fact I would be a rich man. I am not saying that D* will not follow through on this announcement. What I am saying is that to make decisions at this time based on this announcement in my opinion is a bit pre-mature.

I see this announcement good for both D* and E*. If E* wants to compete in this space they will step up. If not, we will see where their commitment lies. Boy never seen so many sky is falling folks. I better get my umbrella out.

I think you're right about the DirecTV PR tactics. The SkyReport story below the one with the AMC-15 launch delay annoucement (need to go to the SkyReport website) stated that the first DirecTV Spaceway satellite that will provide HD locals will be launched in April of 2005 on an Arianespace 5 vehicle. It noted on the bottom of the article that Arianespace will set a record of only taking seven months to process the launch vehicle and spacecraft. Having some experience in the launch vehicle business, seven months is an extremely short time to do this. In addition, when activities like this are rushed, there is a much higher probability of a launch failure and Arianespace does not have the greatest launch success record. I would be suprised if they actually launched the Spaceway satellite before July 2005. The other uncertainty is the new dish that DirecTV will need. It is rumored to be able to receive signals from five orbital locations. Pointing this dish will be real difficult and the fact that it will need to receive Ka band with its greater problems with rain fade increases the problem.

I am not saying that I am jumping ship yet. I am merley stating that D* is becoming more amd more appealing. I have been a loyal E* customer for around 5 years now. I have never suscribed to D* and have never wanted to. E* was the leader in HD and now they just seem to play catch up. I wont trade my loyalty NOW just because of some announcement about something that MIGHT happen 2 years from now. I'll wait and see. (But my patience is wearing thin)

If I had a nickle for evey anouncement by Chalie and the Boys I would be rich too! I somewhat take offense that you automatically assume that I (and possibly others)would jump ship just because of a long term announceement. I only started this thread because I feel that E* is just seems to be going a bit down hill, and I really wish that it wasn't so. Other than E* playing catch up what has E* done or even announced lately that would indicate that they are the leader in HD. I always felt some people were a bit hard on ol' Chas but I am just getting really really tired of the same ol' nothing. If anything E* is the leader of Vaporware. i.e. Superdish, the still buggy 921 (and related patches), the DPP44 switch, HD programming (actually just constant "No Compelling Content" and "We are looking into that" statements). I also remember some reporting of other E* stuff at a trade show. I don't remember what it was but I sure don't see anything new. These are only the things that directly affect me. I wonder how more things others can come up with.

Right now with NFL Sunday Ticket Directv has more HD programming than DISH, but what is more important Directv has a better history of equipment working as promised than DISH. Directv also has not made a history of announcing things then not delivering on the announcement. As a dealer for both services Directv is definitely a better buy now.

DirecTV may take a long time fulfilling their promises. But, and this is a BIG but, they fulfill them. They are also historically very conservative with their promised dates. (I suppose with Rupert, they'll be even more conservative. </pun>)

Can the same be said of Dish?

I have been a E* customer for 18 months. I agree that DTV announcement covers many years into the future. Atleast they are saying HDTV is in their immediate future. E* is saying no compelling content available in HDTV, and seem to be spending most of their resource on adding more and more analog local channels. As many of you, I have spent several thousands of dollars for a HDTV and I am not going to waste my money watching overly compressed movies or other programming on SD channels . I can get far far better picture from DVDs. Also, I get all my local channels OTA. Who ever gets gives me more HD channels will get my future business.

I have talked to many engineers with Dish and they have all said that Dish will let Directv lead at this point in the direction of Hd. Because of lawsuits regarding distant locals in the past Dish is not willing to pay out the butt anylonger to fight this fight for the consumer. They will let Directv lead this path and they WILL FOLLOW their lead . I am sure they will also MATCH anything that Directv does.

I think Dish would like to add the ota tuners to their hd receivers which allows the customer to add his own hd locals instead of adding all those channels in hd on the satellite. They would like to change the law on the distant locals . They want the law to reflect language which allows you to add a distant hd feed of whatever network you cant receive in hd locally if they don't broadcast in true hd high power . This is more cost efficent for Dish and everyone gets there hd locals now. This would work for most people in the country with the exception of some areas that couldn't get any digital ota signals at all. Then they should be eligible for distant hd feeds of the networks. The only problem is they need 2 ota tuners and they need the guide info added to the receivers for this to work well.

Either way I am sure Charlie will match Directv's plans one way or another. I don't see Voom lasting much longer and look for them to be bought by old Charlie. I will say it again: IF Voom had any sense they would agree to partner with Dish to provide all the hd service for Dish now. They could immediately provide all those hd channels NOW and gain access to all of Dish's hd customers. They could still be an alone service as well as an addon service to Dish. They could use the 148 sat to mirror the hd feeds for Voom subs as well as Dish's using the Voom service. IT would be like Sirus sat radio on Dish now. They could partner together and work to each other's mutual goals. Voom would stay in business and Charlie would add all kinds of hd channels right now. They would just have to add a bunch of side dishes to either 61.5 or 148 to existing hd customers. This would also help customers who need their secondary local channels. Kill two birds with one install. :yes

WeeJavaDude said:

Definitely agree with that statement.

Being the patient guy I am, I'm in no hurry to leave E*. When/if D* manages their proposed feat and if E* does nothing further to expand their HD content (and maintain a viable HD PQ), then I will likely make a jump. However, as I said, I'm in no hurry to do so.

Also working in the software industry, I have seen far to many promised software releases delayed, revised and delayed again. If E* is indeed willing to let D* take the lead in providing HD programming, they will eventually lose me as a customer, but not until D* is actually providing the HD programming I want to see.

long_time_DNC said:
Definitely agree with that statement.

Being the patient guy I am, I'm in no hurry to leave E*. When/if D* manages their proposed feat and if E* does nothing further to expand their HD content (and maintain a viable HD PQ), then I will likely make a jump. However, as I said, I'm in no hurry to do so.

Also working in the software industry, I have seen far to many promised software releases delayed, revised and delayed again. If E* is indeed willing to let D* take the lead in providing HD programming, they will eventually lose me as a customer, but not until D* is actually providing the HD programming I want to see.

My position exactly.

This whole D* announcement has the knee jerk reactionaries spouting gloom and doom for E*. I suspect we are at least a year away from any of D* plans becoming a reality. I for one will wait and see what the future holds before I declare the apocalypse is at hand!

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
My position exactly.

This whole D* announcement has the knee jerk reactionaries spouting gloom and doom for E*. I suspect we are at least a year away from any of D* plans becoming a reality. I for one will wait and see what the future holds before I declare the apocalypse is at hand!

NightRyder

Exactly. A year is about the time frame I'm suspecting it'll take for D* to bring their stated plans to fruition (if they can make it happen even by that time?). I'm also suspecting that E* will not be stagnate on the HD front during this next year. Making the supposed statement that they're willing to let D* take the lead doesn't mean they'll sit on their thumbs either.

If they were to do that, the message they'll be sending their HD subscribers is "we're not interested in giving you HD, so go away" and they really can't afford to lose a large segment of their customer base to D*, unless they want to be a third-rate company, which I seriously doubt.

NightRyder said:
My position exactly.

NightRyder

Great posts recently NR. Love the chicken little references. Always get a good laugh out of those same references over on Hockey's Future anytime fans abandon ship over the most trivial things.

Unthinkable said:
Great posts recently NR. Love the chicken little references. Always get a good laugh out of those same references over on Hockey's Future anytime fans abandon ship over the most trivial things.

Thanks Unthinkable.

I think some people just need drama in their lives. I have more than enough in mine without creating any. :D

Have a great week!

NightRyder

After being with Dish for over seven years, I finally pulled the plug on them yesterday for the reasons stated in the first post. It was reluctantaly, but they have focused only on locals, and that the crowd they'll get, not the HD lovers. That may be financially better for them, so be it. I will hang with VOOM until it dies or is absorbed. D* has bad problems with HD softness right now, though their NBC-HD and FOX-HD is very attractive.

Dish had Discovery first, CBS-HD first, etc. and was once the HD leader. It definitely is the HD trailer now. Nobody is as far behind. However, I'm keeping my receiver, just to keep my future options open.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)