Thinking of getting DirectTV, signup questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevinz

Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I have used cable/digital cable only so far because it came with cable internet access that I preferred. I will be moving by the end of the month to an area that doesn't offer the same service and am switching to DSL.. So I am thinking of switching to DirectTV since it has been recommended to me by many, as well has getting Tivo.

So this is all new to me. My main question is just signing up, what do you guys recommend. Going directly through directtv or the resellers who seem to be able to offer a little more.. Extra rooms, free cheap dvd players, few extra things free for a while.. Will DirectTV match the offers directly? I am a bit worried about the installers of either, running wires, etc.

Is there any pros/cons going with either.

Just trying to figure out the best way to signup and get the best deal.

Thank you

I'd recommend going through www.valueelectronics.com. Besides being a sponsor of this site they would provide a bit more of a personal service getting things set up or if you run into any problems.

I recommend finding a local dealer who you can talk to face to face. When you need additional product or service they are there. If you don't like the personality or deals you can always go the 800# route. Do you buy your car off the internet or where you can get service?

Be careful with local dealers

At least check them out. I haven't had any bad luck at all with my local DishNetwork affiliate, in fact I have been very impressed with their service. I have however, been raked over the coals by a local cell phone dealer. (My wife bought a phone through them, long story.) I've always found it better to go directly to the company for phones. I do also know of a local satellite dealer that is also a phone dealer, and they have caused lots of problems for a friend.

Long and short of it is talk to friends, co-workers, family, whoever you can about who they went with when they bought their satellite. Did they like them? Did they do a good clean install? If they didn't do a good clean installation, did they come fix it when a complaint was given? Are they willing to answer all your questions or do they just recite a boiler plate answer that doesn't really answer what you asked?

Another thing to ask yourself, are you really dead-set on DirecTV? Both DirectTV and DishNetwork offer different promotions at any given time, and unless you have a specific reason (mainly NFL) to go to DirecTV, I would recommend keeping your mind open to either option. Personally, I prefer Dish, after having both. But I'm not a NFL fan, and I don't care whether my DVR has the TiVo logo on it or not. I have the 508 DVR reciever and couldn't be happier (well, except for more hard drive space...) Another drawback with DirecTV is that they have to use 2 dishes on your house in order to give you locals, where Dish has the single SuperDish. You may not need the second dish in your area, but in mine you do.

If you are open to Dish, they have a decent referral program. Usually it is a better deal to use it by calling Dish directly rather than going through a local retailer. I don't remember the details off hand, but if you are open to Dish, check with any family members or friends who have Dish and ask them for a referral card. If nobody you know has Dish, any number of people on here, myself included, would probably be willing to send you one.

Another thing to look for, if you aren't locked to a specific provider, look at the channels you want and see where they fall in the packages. XYZ channel may fall in the 2nd price level for one company, but the first on the other. You could easily save $15 per month and still get the channels you want depending on your specific requirements.

Back to the original question though, if you can find a reputable local installer, find out what their deal is. Also call DirecTV and/or Dish directly and find out what they offer. You may find out that you can get a better deal from the company (better equipment for the same installation price, discounted monthly rate, etc...) that will make that $30 DVD player look like a joke. The local retailer must buy those perks in order to give them to you, so one way or another, they are passing that cost on to you.

Hope that helps!

Fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts said:
I have the 508 DVR reciever and couldn't be happier (well, except for more hard drive space...) Another drawback with DirecTV is that they have to use 2 dishes on your house in order to give you locals, where Dish has the single SuperDish. You may not need the second dish in your area, but in mine you do.

If he sayed with a 501/508/510 I'd agree they are fairly stable receivers. But he should look a the threads on the 522 and the 721, a number of people have reported issues with those boxes.

As for D* needing a 2nd dish, E* has the same issue in a number of areas if you want to receive all the channels in that DMA.

I've just switched from Dish to DirecTV

I've just switched from DISH network to DirectTV. I ordered equipment from ValueEectronics and it was installed yesterday. I am very happy with the service and installation and would purchase through ValueElectronics again.
The communication and responsiveness was great!

With DirectTV it depends on your location whether you need two dishes or whether the single oval, triple-LNB will be able to receive the local stations. I only needed one dish. Call ValueElectronics - tell them you are satelliteguys
member and they'll give you a discount - they will also answer any questions you have.

My local phone provide, Verizon, has a bundle deal which gives you a monthly discount. With local phone, DSL, and DirectTV through them, I get about $11 off the bill per month. I just switched over from Adelphia HSI and Digital Cable, and I find the D* to be far and away a better alternative. Cheaper, better picture, and more services.

I would recommend a local retailer. They are the people living in your community, paying taxes, supporting the schools and other local functions. That's just my oppinion you could try the internet or Dish or DirecTV 800 numbers because as we all know -those internet sights and 800 numbers send a percentage of what they make back to the community where it was bought.

I am a little bias on this one,but even when it is for me.I would rather use someone locally.I can think of many times I missed out on a free offer(like a cheap dvd player).But when I need help with the product I bought.Nothing is worse then having to use tech support in another country.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts