Thinking of getting FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DecaPrez

Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I'll take advantage of some free time to make my first post and say I really like this site and I'm in the works of talking my wife into letting me get a FTA system. I used to watch the old satellite stuff 15 years ago and mistakenly thought that FTA had gone by the wayside when I stopped seeing the BUDs around. Now, I realize it's still out there and I'm looking forward to it. I wish I knew what kinds of feeds and stuff that routinely show up (to use in my argument to my wife), but I completely understand why that info is not in the public. Thanks for the site guys.

Last edited:
I think we can speak of what KINDS of feeds show up, just not the location.

We routinely get news and sports feeds on Ku. If you have a larger dish (C-Band, 6 footer or larger, aka "BUD") there are occasional backhauls. Lots up there to see :D

A blind scan equipped receiver will find the feeds for you :)

Another question; I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. I'm looking to dump TW Cable b/c they just aren't doing much of anything right in my area. Is it possible to take a 31"-36" and split it to a FTA and DishNet (or even DirecTV) receiver? I know that question may sound "hacker-ish" but I mean it in the most legitimate way. I didn't know if I could have a DishNet subscription and just point the dish to an E* satellite when I wanted to watch that and to other FTA channels with the other receiver when I wanted FTA.

Unless there is some overwhelming reason why you'd not want a separate dish for your sub, it'd be best to consider using 2 dishes. The hassle of using your FTA receiver to reposition the dish everytime you want to watch your subbed channels on your sub box would be frustrating (especially to a wife who really doesn't care for your FTA hobby, and is easily annoyed by the fact that she can't just sit down and watch tv without tinkering). (realize that if your subscription uses multiple sats, as most dishnet subs do, you'd have to continually move the dish back and forth between sats using your FTA receiver just to get different channels on your sub - this will be sure to tick off the wife)

Thanks for the insight. It doesn't make as much sense to do that with what you said. I'd hate to have to move it that much, and I'm sure that would tick off my wife.

Yea, lets not tick off the wife. A safe option for all that operation is running separate cables for your setup as opposed to the subs. It seems the wives find no interest in this hobby. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)