Thinking of moving to Directv, but then there's the HOA. Mounting advice appreciated!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Broe67 - you are clearly not a DirecTV installer, or if you are you are one that ignores the rules. And as Chip says, you just don't read anyone's posts. And you refuse to accept when you are wrong.

And you have managed to change the subject of this thread to something which is completely different from its original intent.
Any new development in my town, most of the installs you will come across most of them that the home has a chimney, the dish will be mounted to the side of the chimney, or on the side of the house.

It is to the point in my town, very few people are allowing roof penetrations, because of past cases of the fact that the roofers in my town, love to rip the units off and toss them on the ground, because they have to repair the leaks caused by an installer not properly mounting the unit on the roof, to not allow leaks through the sheathing.

Yes, you have good and bad, but also you have the same for the home owners. As a home owner, yes you can choose where it gets mounted, and if the installer is not going to mount to the chimney, then yes both the home owner and installer need to come to an agreement of a placement that is not blocked by structure or trees, but also will be in compliance with what Direct states as proper and safe.

Again, the whole reason of going back to why not to mount to chimney's, goes back to too many units in the past, when small dish satellite first came out, where getting placed on old brick chimney's, or homes with wood framed chimney's which were already rotting out, or poorly manufactured either after the home was built, or during the build, that the home owner would blame the satellite or antenna company for causing the chimney to fall down, thus damaging the structure.

It was all about the liability of taking ownership in the past, is why you no longer see newer installs on a chimney, but still I see them in my town, from old installs, and some home owner installs in even the new developments like I stated. Those people of course are the ones that will not call Direct on a service call, due to they are the types that will change providers on a whim, or stay with them until the end of contract, and go with someone else.

Again personally, I am one of those that hate having to go any higher than 20 feet, and would never ask an installer to do it their own-self.

Also the dish must be installed on the chimney, not on the roof. The roof warranty will be void if dish penetrates it. Dish has to be installed in the back of the house not the front. ****

as someone who was the president of the HOA (when I had my house) the bolded point is a bunch of crap. The roof warranty is not void if you put a dish up. I had to check some info when we got the roofs reshingled and the warranty would still be good. Hell I had 3 dishes and 2 TV tripods on the roof and no issues. What was funny is I had all of that and no issues with roof leaking or whatnot....my neighbor who had a dish on the deck railing had issues with the roof leaking ;)

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of switching to Directv from Cablevision (better price, channels, etc. etc.). I live in a community with a HOA that has specific rules on mounting a dish. I'm being told that the dish must be mounted on the chimney and not on the roof and must be on the back of the house.

I'm fine with that, but the chimney is surrounded by vinyl siding and I don't want anyone to be drilling into the chimney. Also, a pole mount is not an option per the HOA.

Are there alternatives that don't involve drilling into the roof (which I'm being told will void the warranty for the roof). Also, what is considered a "standard installation" by Directv? Do they even perform any other types of installations?

I took a photo of the back of the house so you can see the chimney. Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
MrMetView attachment 92173

here we go again..
Do you own your home? Is it a single family home? Town home? Condo?
if it is a single family home, your HOA has NO SAY on where you may install your antenna.
One thing. Unless your home is located in a Registered Historic District, you may without any delay or additional expense caused by your HOA install a satellite antenna ANYWHERE on your property where a clear line of sight to the satellites is attainable.
Go to www.fcc.gov.....Fact sheet on Dish placement. Print out a few copies.
Have Directv install the antenna where it needs to go for optimum signal levels. Mark the fact sheet where pertinent information on dish placement is seen. Mail the marked copy to the HOA....
They can scream, jump up and down or threaten to hold their breath until they pass out. There is nothing your HOA can do about your satellite antenna placement.
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule..
As an installer I loved it when one of the blue haired old bitties from the HOA came by and attempted to stop me from doing my job....

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of switching to Directv from Cablevision (better price, channels, etc. etc.). I live in a community with a HOA that has specific rules on mounting a dish. I'm being told that the dish must be mounted on the chimney and not on the roof and must be on the back of the house.

I'm fine with that, but the chimney is surrounded by vinyl siding and I don't want anyone to be drilling into the chimney. Also, a pole mount is not an option per the HOA.

Are there alternatives that don't involve drilling into the roof (which I'm being told will void the warranty for the roof). Also, what is considered a "standard installation" by Directv? Do they even perform any other types of installations?

I took a photo of the back of the house so you can see the chimney. Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
MrMetView attachment 92173

That roof warranty thing is a load of crap....From whomever told you that, ask to see the hard copy of the terms and conditions per your roof. Or ask for the internet link....I guarantee you'll not find a single word that specifically states where a penetration into the roof material will void the warranty on the entire roof...One must ask this question...."Do the stack vents for my plumbing waste that are sticking through my roof void the warranty?
Of course not.

Thanks for this info. I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but what is the risk of mounting against a 2x4? Is this pretty commonplace for chimney mounts? What can I do to ensure that even if I get my landlord to agree, that the installer completes this properly? What would be the risk of having the dish mounted to a chimney even if it were done properly? Also, here's what the rep from the board gave our landlord:

***From his email:
Yes you need to submit this hold harmless agreement and an insurance certificate from Directv naming :

HOA name and address

Also the dish must be installed on the chimney, not on the roof. The roof warranty will be void if dish penetrates it. Dish has to be installed in the back of the house not the front. ****

Is this also commonplace with HOA's? It's perplexing because there are a lot of dishes throughout our development and from what I've seen, they are all roof mounts.

Thanks again!
The HOA is WAY out of bounds on this. Those rules are unenforceable as they violate federal law and FCC regulations.
Do this. Order the system from Directv. Be sure you get a letter of permission from the property owner indicating they permit the install. Show it to the tech when he arrives.
The letter should include the name of the owner and a contact phone number and their signature.
If the property owner has any restrictions on where you cannot install the antenna, be sure those are listed on the letter.

The HOA can't put rules into place that force you to install in unacceptable locations.

If DirecTV says a chimney install is not acceptable, then the HOA rule is invalid. They can't say you can't install on the roof OR pole mount, particularly if any of those areas are exclusive areas. Also, they cannot say you "must" install it on one side or the other, if the side they demand you install it on will not work for any reason.

I saw screw the HOA, call Directv, have them install your Dish in the best possible location and on Sunday afternoon sit back and watch the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Im surprised the HOA doesn't complain about the green pedistals that the phone and cable company installs between every other house.

Seriously, you shouldn't even be having this discussion. Call Directv. get your Dish installed and worry about the HOA later. Nobody is going to tell me what I should do with my property and nobody should tell you what to do with your property either.

If you want to follow all the HOA rules and ask for permission everytime you drill a hole on to your property, you will never get a Dish installed.

Iam an installer. The HOA has NO power to stop the install. You can and should get the dish installed on the roof in the back of the house. I would NOT install on the vinyl if I was the one doing the install. I DO NOT like installing on a chimney if I have to leave my ladder and crawl onto the roof to get to it. It is a safety issue. The OTARD rules spell out exactly the limits of HOA rules on you as owner or renter when it comes to being able to get television services. Those rules keep HOA cops in check and allow you to install antennas and satellite dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.