thinking of switch back to TWC

gren25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
tarheel state
have any of you guys made a switch from Dish to cable if so are you happy.If I switched to TWC Iwould get the sa 8300hddvr box or Imight go with the cable card.Just not real happy with Dish right now any comments?

I just made the switch, and originally I was getting cable, internet, and phone for 99, but I dropped the phone and for 74.01 I get two boxes (8300Hddvr, 8300dvr) digital cable, Hbo, Hbo on demand, and ROad runner, for an extra 7 a month I get the HD tier....so far I love it, I had some problems in my community but they have upgraded all the cabling, and so far very smooth, cant wiat to get espn2hd, but I am content with what I have,as I have ALL my locals in HD, plus INhd, INhd2, Discovery, HDnet, HDnetmovies, Espnhd, and TNThd, plus a hd dvr, not bad at all, very very satisfied!
oh and yes I did come from dishnetwork!

Thanks for the reply stuart628.how are your analog channels,do they look ok as compared to dish.thats the main reason I switched to dish in the first place because my lower channels didn't look all that great even with my sa 8300 box

actually, they are alot sharper then with dish (compression reasons) there is noise as it it analog, but it is not bad at all, in fact once I leave my locals (which are all highdef/digital anyways on higher channels) which are 2-13, starting at 14 the analogs look great!@

would I be stupid for going back to cable.I'm thinking with the vip622 or 222 and one of the value packs that it will cost more than cable.called TWC the other day and they said I could get digital cable with the hdtv tier and starz @hdtv dvr for around $55 for a year. To me that's really tempting

I switched to TWC from Dish last year. The main reason was more hd and superior hd picture quality. TWC just annouced that they will be adding Universal hd starting January 31 in se Wisc. Just in time for the olympic games. My wife just loves all the on demand stuff on TWC.

George K9GM
Wisconsin

I am in exactly the same boat. With this crazy Dish Network transition to MPEG-4 and not making those channels available to MPEG-2 receivers even if the signal is MPEG-2 is really making me consider going back to cable here in Austin. I also called and they gave me the same offer and that would cut my cost in almost half for one year. Very tempting.

My main concern is how good/bad is the SA HD DVR. Any opinions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Mario.

I'm a D* sub. But I tried TWC again last fall. The HD PQ was a lot better. The SD-digital channels were as good as D*. But the analog channels were awful. And at that time the channels I watched the most were analog.

I don't know if TWC there is the same as here. There was on commitment with TWC. So I was able to cancel when I decided to stick with D*. You could always try TWC before cancelling E* and see which you like the best.

thats a good idea markd, I may just do that,and that way I can compare them together. I have had TWC before but switched to Dish for more HD lol.MNETOP I have had the sa 8300 hddvr box and didn't have any problems with it. The only thing I don't like is the program guide, but I could learn to live with it. I was thinking of getting a new hdtv with the program guide built in and use the cablecard, so I would have an on screen guide. thanks for the comments

I changed from Dish to TWC almost a year ago due to my foreseeing problems with dish and not being satisfied with the soft picture quality.

TWC is much better all the way around except for the analog channels but honestly it doesn't bother me. I know what to expect from analog. HD is phenomenal compared DISH. Much sharper as the others said not as much compression. I also have the 8200 which I didn't like and switched it out for the 8300 which has been great. My wife took too it easily and I think EVERYONE who loves HD to switch to cable under those wonderfully offers they have to switch from satellite.

After DISH gets the act together you can hop on board. My loyalty lays with the company that can give me quality content. That is TWC at the moment for me. Next year it may well be dish.

Who knows!

I had to drop my E* service due to having no line of sight in my new place. It was a real pity, since I liked E*, but I'm very happy with TWC's offering.

I signed up for their Triple Play promo for $99.99 p/month for 1 full year, a SA 8300HD DVR, HD and Sports packs, and to sweeten up the deal even more, they gave me 3 months of free HBO and Starz.

The only complaint I have is how crappy some (if not most) analog channels can look, even when compared to their overly compressed satellite counterparts.

Twc

Is there any way to get just the HD package with TWC like you can with Dish? I currently have the 811 with Dish, and just the HD package. I get my locals in HD from my OTA antenna. It's hard to believe that HD with TWC is much better than Dish. HD looks great on my 811 with Dish.

I switched from Directv to Brighthouse about 6 weeks ago. WHY? I was not about to commit to 2 yr contract with Dtv as they require when you get new equipment. The cost of the equipment was another factor. $350+ was too much for me. Also, Dtv's picture is getting compressed too much and then there is teh HD lite controversy.

The only thing I miss is my directv tivo with dual tuners. I'm hoping the Tivo series 3 will be my answer in the next yr. I also heard a rumor about TW testing new software on their DVRs that would offfer similar options like Tivo's season pass.

stuart628 said:
I just made the switch, and originally I was getting cable, internet, and phone for 99, but I dropped the phone and for 74.01 I get two boxes (8300Hddvr, 8300dvr) digital cable, Hbo, Hbo on demand, and ROad runner, for an extra 7 a month I get the HD tier....so far I love it, I had some problems in my community but they have upgraded all the cabling, and so far very smooth, cant wiat to get espn2hd, but I am content with what I have,as I have ALL my locals in HD, plus INhd, INhd2, Discovery, HDnet, HDnetmovies, Espnhd, and TNThd, plus a hd dvr, not bad at all, very very satisfied!
oh and yes I did come from dishnetwork!

Why did you drop the phone service? If you want to try another brand, check out ATT's callvantage. I've had it for 18 months and I could never go back to a landline.

vlj9r said:
Why did you drop the phone service? If you want to try another brand, check out ATT's callvantage. I've had it for 18 months and I could never go back to a landline.

my wife and I dont want a phone, We have cell phones thats good enough for us, we feel its a waste of money!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)