Thinking of switching from dish to direct and have several questions.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shorrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Hello all. Thinking of switching to DTV from E and I've come up with a few questions.

1. Is the West Palm Beach DMA an HD DMA? I've seen several comments where some of the markets are HD only receivers, so I"m curious if my market is this way.

2. Each receiver is per TV if I understand correctly. My wife would like to watch DVR programs in the bedroom. Do we need a DVR for this room, or would the multi-room setup work here? Pausing live tv is not essential but might be nice.

3. I've seen several folks from Dish migrating, and what are your thoughts on the new DVR software? I've always heard about the "slowness" and other things on the dish side, but don't know if that is fanboy talk or not. What are your appraisals of the DVR do they stack up?

Thanks all for your answers!

Tom

1. WPB does have some locals in HD but all are in SD too. Big4 + PBS are in HD
2. multi-room world work in this case unless she is content with recording programs in the bedroom
3. I cannot comment as I didnt have a DVR with Dish but the H24 & HR24 are really good. They support MRV

I will comment on the DVRs for you. The Dish DVRs are 5000000% better if you get a HR20-23. If and only IF you get an HR24(D* will try as hard as they can to give you older hardware), will you enjoy the service. If you get anything other than an HR24, you will regret the switch for every minute of the next two years.

I will comment on the DVRs for you. The Dish DVRs are 5000000% better if you get a HR20-23. If and only IF you get an HR24(D* will try as hard as they can to give you older hardware), will you enjoy the service. If you get anything other than an HR24, you will regret the switch for every minute of the next two years.

This is just NOT TRUE .....

D* has nothing to do with what recvr you get, it's up to what is available in the warehouse that your installer comes from.

D* does NOT say, hey, lets give this guy old stuff and the neighbor the new stuff.

So I would be better of talking with a local dealer to insure that I get the HR24 then?

There is HR24 mania going on right now. The vast majority of subs have other units and are happy with them. People who don't hang out in these forums don't even know there is a 24 and that it is supposedly faster. My units have a quick response to their remotes so I have no interest in the newer units.

This is just NOT TRUE .....

D* has nothing to do with what recvr you get, it's up to what is available in the warehouse that your installer comes from.

D* does NOT say, hey, lets give this guy old stuff and the neighbor the new stuff.
True,
But you have a 95% chance of getting the HR21-23 model.
Asking for MRV may increase your chances though.

I think he means are they on the 99 or 103, Since some local DMAs are and that Requires HD equipment even SD locals.

WPB has both SD (all of them) and HD (Big4+PBS)
He is NOT in a HD only market

Most larger markets have both SD on 101 and HD

MRV feature works really well, you will not be disappointed so long as you secure the HR24 DVR's, which are equally nice.

What is even better is adding an ESATA 2TB external drive and going to town on the recordings. My HT experience is greatly improved and with 2 DVRs you can even switch between them among the non DVR receivers.

Very cool indeed... :up

Hmm..I came from Dish (622) and have been satisfied with my H23 from Direct.
I am not a heavy DVR user though. (3-4 shows/week)

I am glad to have my RSN (NESN) and locals in HD 24/7 though!

Regards, Eric

Status
Please reply by conversation.