Thinking of switching from Dish to DirectTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I also agree with points made above.....I switched Feb 7th and have never looked back. It was a little difficult at first to get used to the remote but software upgrades have been great and I am very happy with the features that Dish still does not have such as remote programming of your DVR. Also very happy with the picture quality.

Go Gators! (I'm a Florida transplant to Seattle) :up

I just received my welcome email from D* and this was in it ... [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Your order includes HD Access and an HD receiver, giving you access to all of the national HD channels associated with the programming package you selected. You will also enjoy your local channels in standard definition. Please note, however, that we're currently unable to offer local channels in HD your area. ..... I live in the NYC suburbs does anyone know if this is a mistake ...if so I will be cancelling before they install it ...on the website it says I can get locals in HD ...Thanks
[/FONT]

I live on LI and I get HD versions of channels 2,4,5,7,9 and 11. AN HD version of 13 should be available later this year. All the other locals are SD.

listen,I made a big choice in my house against my wifes consideration.I switched for one reason only-local HD sports.(although usa hd is sweet(but uhd ,mhd,hdnm are extra??????)but since you poked the bear hear it is-D* hddvr sucks,and bad,real bad if you havent had and used an E* 722 don't respond,because it's not slant,the difference is THAT BIG.btw thank god I still havent sent the boxes back,because I my caller ID(which is huge to my wife)does not work on my hr21,but fine on my h21,their response was,no new box,no service call-we will check into a software issue,in the meantime you cant use this feature(hell,we may never fix it!),yet the warranty is 90 days-obvious hardware problem(diagnosing tedious wiring and electromechanical problems is how I feed my family)so I if they dont fix the problem,again trivial to most,of the utmost importance to my wife,on day 89 they have 3 choices-
1:send a subcontractor witha new box and half a brain,
2:refund my $200 lease TAX,while they fix the software problem,or
3:we part ways,no termination fees beacuse they did not satisfy the contract,per terms of my switching to them,as stated in CR notes.
(am I ranting?)save me fios,please!!!

The email is automated from there computer, there automated emails are often wrong. Once I got one saying thank you for the Signing up for the NFL package. I have had or received the NFL package. I think a lot of there I.T. stuff is out sourced.

3:we part ways,no termination fees beacuse they did not satisfy the contract,per terms of my switching to them,as stated in CR notes.
From the way you write, I suspect you are having trouble learning a different system or understanding why the HR2xx series receivers work differently than the E* ones. Good luck on that termination fee thing too. You might have someone read your contract to you.

From what I have seen the HR20's are hard to come by anymore. There will be a OTA tuner for the HR21's very soon.

There are pluses and minus of both DVR's. Both are very good at what they do and IMO you wont be disappointed with the HR21 or HR20.

I'm looking at switching too, after 11 years with E*. I know E* equipment extremely well, but am weak on D*'s gear.

Does the above response indicate that one might get an HD DVR that does not have OTA tuning capabilities?

If so, then this is a biggie for me. I get 8 wonderful OTA HD channels that I would not want to give up. And I would strongly prefer to use them rather than get them from D*.

listen,I made a big choice in my house against my wifes consideration.I switched for one reason only-local HD sports.(although usa hd is sweet(but uhd ,mhd,hdnm are extra??????)but since you poked the bear hear it is-D* hddvr sucks,and bad,real bad if you havent had and used an E* 722 don't respond,because it's not slant,the difference is THAT BIG.btw thank god I still havent sent the boxes back,because I my caller ID(which is huge to my wife)does not work on my hr21,but fine on my h21,their response was,no new box,no service call-we will check into a software issue,in the meantime you cant use this feature(hell,we may never fix it!),yet the warranty is 90 days-obvious hardware problem(diagnosing tedious wiring and electromechanical problems is how I feed my family)so I if they dont fix the problem,again trivial to most,of the utmost importance to my wife,on day 89 they have 3 choices-

What, people still use land lines? :)

Seriously though, E* did the same thing to me with a screwed up 622, and I actually paid their stupid DHPP! So they're not much better.

I'm looking at switching too, after 11 years with E*. I know E* equipment extremely well, but am weak on D*'s gear.

Does the above response indicate that one might get an HD DVR that does not have OTA tuning capabilities?

If so, then this is a biggie for me. I get 8 wonderful OTA HD channels that I would not want to give up. And I would strongly prefer to use them rather than get them from D*.

Correct. If you get a HR20, you'll have a single OTA connection just like the E* 622/722. If you get a HR21, it does not have OTA, however it does have an addon box coming that adds dual OTA capabilites.

Correct. If you get a HR20, you'll have a single OTA connection just like the E* 622/722. If you get a HR21, it does not have OTA, however it does have an addon box coming that adds dual OTA capabilites.
Actually, you can record 2 things OTA with the hr-20 series.

No way to guarentee that you'd get a HR20, which has ATSC tuners, if you don't you'll get a HR21 which does not have ATSC tuners. However it will accept the AM21 add on ATSC tuner module which will make the HR21 perform just like a HR20 with the built in tuners. SolidSignal is taking preorders for $99 but when D* announced the AM21 they said it would be $59.

I've had a AM21 for a few weeks as part of the early support test and I can tell you that the operation of it looks just like the HR20 does. Since D*'s allowed us to talk about it before they've release it, which is different from prior tests where we have to keep it quiet until it's release, I'd have to think that it's going to be release farily soon.

Thanks. Boy, I never dreamed that by switching to D* it would mean giving up OTA HD. I just assumed that was always a given. Don't care about having 2 OTA tuners, 1 is just fine. But 0 is unacceptable.

Just checked on D*'s web page for HD to my location and they don't even offer 4 of the 8 HD channels that I can pick up OTA. This would be extremely unacceptable.

I live in the NYC suburbs does anyone know if this is a mistake
As long as you have your own antenna, HD Local Into Local (LIL) shouldn't be a problem. If you live in some sort of arrangement where there is a central antenna, HD LIL may or may not be available.

I'm another unhappy Dish Network customer. The primary reason I went to Dish is I got this offer from a friend in 2002 for free install and equipment. I was so tired of Charter Cable (Central Alabama). I have grown tired of the delay in adding new HD channels. Seems DirecTv is so far ahead of Dish. My 18 month contract ends in October, so if I leave Dish before then it will cost me $13.33 a month for the remaining months. One big reason I think I'll like DirecTv better is they already have USA HD. I love to watch Monday night wrestling on USA, but Dish doesn't offer USA HD yet. If I change, should I have DirecTv installed first before I call Dish and cancel? I was just wondering what would be best.

If I change, should I have DirecTv installed first before I call Dish and cancel? I was just wondering what would be best.
It's always better to cancel a service after the replacement is installed, just in case they run into problems, like no LOS to 99/101/103 which are the main DirecTV satellite positions.

It's always better to cancel a service after the replacement is installed, just in case they run into problems, like no LOS to 99/101/103 which are the main DirecTV satellite positions.

I just had my D* installed today and once they had the televisions up and running I called E* to cancel. It took like 25 minutes to cancel with E* since they kept on telling me stuff about D*'s poor customer service...anyway I cancelled and am enjoying much more HD now.

Believe it or not but the HD signal is cleaner than E* was and the signal strength much stronger.

My 18 month contract ends in October, so if I leave Dish before then it will cost me $13.33 a month for the remaining months. If I change, should I have DirecTv installed first before I call Dish and cancel? I was just wondering what would be best.

I forgot that my dish bill was paid one month in advance ... so when i canceled yesterday i actually ended up owing them just $9 once they had processed the credits for the service that I had already paid ;)

I got my install date - made sure everything was setup and working .. then called dish to cancel - they asked why .. i said "you don't offer my locals in HD" they asked if I already had a new provider - i said yes .. they asked if I had a contract with my new provider .. I said yes .. and they asked when i want the cancellation to take effect. I said now - and that was it.

I don't think they could offer anything or argue with the fact that they did not have my locals in HD.

Switch was smooth and easy, I just wonder why i waited so long to make the jump.

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)