Thinking of switching from DTV to Dish

It does look like you have some options.

Your right, I just want to make sure that I can run one line from dish into apartment which will connect to splitter. Then One line to each receiver with dual tuner capable. Is the way It running right now with Swm DTV. I don't want extra cable in. I have enough already. :-D

(This would be for 2 HD Solo receivers--probably the cheapest option but no Video On Demand--If you really want Video On Demand, I would say not to look at this option...)

Order Summary

One Time Set-up Charges

Digital Home Advantage Activation Fee $99.00

DHA Credit -$99.00

Total One-Time Fees FREE

Monthly Fees

Additional Receiver Lease Fee $7.00

Service Plan $6.00

Programming Fees

America's "Everything" Pak $104.99

Local Channels Included

DishHD Free For Life w/ DISH Platinum $10.00

Subtotal $127.99
Savings

Showtime Free for 3 mo. -$13.00
DISH Platinum Free for 3 mo. -$10.00
Promo credit 1 of 12 -$20.00
Service Plan Free for 6 mo. -$6.00

Total Monthly Price $78.99

Your right, I just want to make sure that I can run one line from dish into apartment which will connect to splitter. Then One line to each receiver with dual tuner capable. Is the way It running right now with Swm DTV. I don't want extra cable in. I have enough already. :-D

I did want to put out the one time charges. One for sure has a $99 fee. I am not sure if that will make a difference. The ones without a $99 fee would require at least one external hard drive and that $39 fee. Just something to think about...I do not think there is a way to get out of some upfront costs with two DVRs unless someone else wants to share...:)

not to hijack the thread (if it does feel free to delete)

I'm switching from Cable to E* -- have the same setup (but just the 250 package) 2 HDTV's

I too am confused (unlike) the 17.00 fee for having dual 722K units over the $10.00 fee if I went with dual 612 DVR's... Question is based the extra dive, and sling adapter what is bad about the 612's? From some simple searching here the 612 seems older and heavily prone to audio issues and other oddities -- so is it best to suck it up each month and get the 722k or is it a wash and save some dough?

thanks in advance,
'john

This would be for a 722 HD DVR Duo (2 TV-1 HD and 1 SD--However, you can use it in single mode on an HD TV for PIP, and it is a DVR) and a 612 HD Solo DVR [$99 upfront fee, though for 2 DVRs] -- However, Video On Demand for all...

Order Summary

One Time Set-up Charges
Additional Receiver Upgrade Fee (HD DVR) $99.00
Digital Home Advantage Activation Fee$99.00 DHA Credit -$99.00
Total One-Time Fees$99.00

Monthly Fees
DVR Fee $6.00
Additional Receiver Lease Fee $10.00
Service Plan $6.00

Programming Fees
America's Top 250 $69.99
Local Channels Included
DishHD Free For Life w/ DISH Platinum $10.00
Subtotal
$101.99

Savings
DISH
Platinum Free for 3 mo. -$10.00
Total Monthly Price $65.99

In addition,:
This is for one 722 HD Duo receiver (Video On Demand and DVR) and a 211 (can be converted into a DVR with one time fee of $39.99 and an external hard drive---no Video On Demand, though):

One Time Set-up Charges
Digital Home Advantage Activation Fee$99.00
DHA Credit -$99.00
Total One-Time Fees FREE

Monthly Fees
DVR Fee $6.00
Additional Receiver Lease Fee $7.00
Service Plan $6.00

Programming Fees
America's Top 250 $69.99
Local Channels Included Dish
HD
Free For Life w/ DISH Platinum $10.00
Subtotal
$98.99

Savings
DISH
Platinum Free for 3 mo. -$10.00

Total Monthly Price $62.99

I hope that helps; let us know how it goes...:)

I did want to put out the one time charges. One for sure has a $99 fee. I am not sure if that will make a difference. The ones without a $99 fee would require at least one external hard drive and that $39 fee. Just something to think about...I do not think there is a way to get out of some upfront costs with two DVRs unless someone else wants to share...:)

Didn't they just drop the Ext HDD activation fee?

Yes, and that is why I cautioned you above. DirecTV SWM technology is superior to Dish's, because with Dish's gear you can't split the coax coming form the dish to go to multiple receivers. Dish dual tuner receivers can operate off a single coax to both tuners, but what you are doing now with DirecTV cannot be done with Dish. Two receivers, two coaxes. Sorry!

One wonders why this is a problem? Your Dish installer will put up their own dish and run two cables all the way from dish to receivers.

Yes, and that is why I cautioned you above. DirecTV SWM technology is superior to Dish's, because with Dish's gear you can't split the coax coming form the dish to go to multiple receivers. Dish dual tuner receivers can operate off a single coax to both tuners, but what you are doing now with DirecTV cannot be done with Dish. Two receivers, two coaxes. Sorry!

One wonders why this is a problem? Your Dish installer will put up their own dish and run two cables all the way from dish to receivers.

Thanks for jumping in on this one :) ; I am not familiar with SWM.

I am taking it this means that installing Dish would be problematic, correct, or is there some way to get what the OP wants?

Will it be two cable to each receiver or 1 to each receiver from dish which will it allow dual tuner capability?

Edit: Sorry I read your post a couple of more times. Now i understand one cable to each receiver from dish and it will be to 2 dual tuner receivers. I kinda though for a moment i would need 4 line from the dish. Two to each receiver to have dual tuner.

I am sorry, Scott. I did not realize that. I did not know that DishStore had better promos for new customers. I was just saying what I had done when I subbed.:(
Its ok.. we have actually had a servers lock up before because someone asked for those codes and everyone was trying to PM all at once. :)

Now i understand one cable to each receiver from dish and it will be to 2 dual tuner receivers. I kinda though for a moment i would need 4 line from the dish. Two to each receiver to have dual tuner.
Exactly; one coax to each receiver. You could put a DPP44 switch in the mix (inside your apartment) and drive 4 dual-tuner receivers. But that would aggravate the coax-from-dish problem since then you would need 3 (one for each orbital location) cables going to the DPP44! :eek:

I still don't see why two cables is a problem. I have 6 gray cables from two dishes and an OTA antenna doing a short dive into my attic. ;)

Exactly; one coax to each receiver. You could put a DPP44 switch in the mix (inside your apartment) and drive 4 dual-tuner receivers. But that would aggravate the coax-from-dish problem since then you would need 3 (one for each orbital location) cables going to the DPP44! :eek:

I still don't see why two cables is a problem. I have 6 gray cables from two dishes and an OTA antenna doing a short dive into my attic. ;)

It not a problem, it's just the whole idea of another cable coming from the dish into my apartment but I can be OK with it. Hey do you know what satellite type tech would install with this set up we've been talking about? Also would the tech take out my DTV dish and install it in the same place or is it my job to take it down?

Hey do you know what satellite type tech would install with this set up we've been talking about? Also would the tech take out my DTV dish and install it in the same place or is it my job to take it down?
Darn good question. I think most if not all of Pennsylvania is on Dish's Eastern Arc, so they would install an EA dish 1000.4 with an EA LNB/switch assembly. I have one of these feeding 3 dual-tuner DVR receivers directly, with no intervening switches. (That accounts for 3 of my cables above.) ;)

I also did a Dish Mover to this house which had the previous owner's DTV installation on the roof. The Dish installer took the DTV dish down and put a D500 on the same mast, even though he didn't have LOS to 119. :( Ah, the good ol' days.

Anyone considering the external hard-drive DVR conversion option: Don't forget the cost of the hard drive(s)! I am contemplating a similar move and considered getting two HD solo 211Ks and adding an external hard drive to each to make them DVRs. (Because I have 4 TVs I want connected, I would already go for a 722K; therefore I would be charged the $6 DVR fee regardless.) The cheapest price I found for a 1TB external hard drive with AC power (necessary) was about $75; so two of them plus the activation fee would be at least $190, not including shipping. DISH would charge me $198 for adding two solo HD DVRs (612s).

Anyone considering the external hard-drive DVR conversion option: Don't forget the cost of the hard drive(s)! I am contemplating a similar move and considered getting two HD solo 211Ks and adding an external hard drive to each to make them DVRs. (Because I have 4 TVs I want connected, I would already go for a 722K; therefore I would be charged the $6 DVR fee regardless.) The cheapest price I found for a 1TB external hard drive with AC power (necessary) was about $75; so two of them plus the activation fee would be at least $190, not including shipping. DISH would charge me $198 for adding two solo HD DVRs (612s).

That is a good point and I would personally much prefer a ViP612 over a ViP211K

The 612s will give me the same capability per box (dual tuners per TV) as D*, albeit for $8 more. But the OTA capability should in fact give me extra tuner capability, as I understand it, and PIP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)