Status
Please reply by conversation.

smoeke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi,

I am pretty sure i will be ordering directv in the next few weeks and canceling my dish service.

I currently have a Dish 722 installed, only one tv.

I am going for a Genie dvr and again only the one tv.

I have a single RG6 cable running from my dish, underground 120' to my house,cable was put in 2.5 years ago.

My question is:

Will directv accept this cable and simply mount their dish where the old dish is now, and then come in and hookup the Genie?

i do not want the outside cable touched, it runs into the basement 15' and then up into the floor directly below my entertainment center, i am hoping to not have to even move the center as its a very large custom unit,and very difficult to move. So i am hoping they can simply "grab" the cable as it sits currently hooked to my 722.

I also have and ethernet cable at the reciever, and as far as i can tell that will be all i need for network access.

any input is appreciated.

thank you

Last edited:
The short answer is probably, but until the installer checks everything out, no guarantees!

As long as it says 3GHz on the cable you should be fine

But then again here at the apartment complex we have just regular old RG6 (cant see what the specs are but I doubt its 3GHz) and it works fine

The short answer is probably, but until the installer checks everything out, no guarantees!

ok, thanks, i understand it will be upto the installer, i was just looking for anything i might not be thinking of before i start this process now,otherwise i will wait for warmer weather before ordering so i can handle the wiring work.

As long as it says 3GHz on the cable you should be fine

But then again here at the apartment complex we have just regular old RG6 (cant see what the specs are but I doubt its 3GHz) and it works fine

i'll have to look closer at the cable, i dont remember it saying anything on it,but it was suppose to be good cable 2.5 years ago,,,?

thanks for the reply

Sorry, another question...

i wont be cancelling Dish until after the Directv install, if i remove the old dish on the roof its on, will directv likely mount their dish to the same spot, can they even use the old pole (it looks like new), how similar are they? (dish 1004.1) It would be nice to not have to put new holes in the roof.Am i wishing for too much here?

Where the dish goes is a matter of line of sight, or where it can "see" the satellites. I don't know about the mast size for a 1004.1, but the Directv mast is 2".

Almost all of dish's dishes are 1.66 or 1 5/8 diameter. Slimelines are 2" as you mentioned unless the op is in a market that will allow an 18" dish when no hd or otherwise is received using standard equipment.

Sorry, another question...

i wont be cancelling Dish until after the Directv install, if i remove the old dish on the roof its on, will directv likely mount their dish to the same spot, can they even use the old pole (it looks like new), how similar are they? (dish 1004.1) It would be nice to not have to put new holes in the roof.Am i wishing for too much here?

I just did the same thing. I went with the Genie setup from Directv. The base and pole were quite different. Directv's mounting hardware is more stout and looks like it could beat the crap out of the Dish setup. As for the holes, a couple of them lined up. The others were filled with a black substance by the installer. I'm very happy I switched.

I just did the same thing. I went with the Genie setup from Directv. The base and pole were quite different. Directv's mounting hardware is more stout and looks like it could beat the crap out of the Dish setup. As for the holes, a couple of them lined up. The others were filled with a black substance by the installer. I'm very happy I switched.

I do agree. It is a more stable setup with the hardware configuration.

I once seen a directv pole mount with the struts/mono-poles attached to a retaining wall. That booger wasn't going anywhere.

I do agree. It is a more stable setup with the hardware configuration.

I once seen a directv pole mount with the struts/mono-poles attached to a retaining wall. That booger wasn't going anywhere.

All of the Slimline's are suppose to have Mono Poles attached for support ... the Wind hitting the Slimline dishes are very strong.

All of the Slimline's are suppose to have Mono Poles attached for support ... the Wind hitting the Slimline dishes are very strong.

The ones with the stubby mounts don't use the monopoles.

I don't think they even use them here in New England.

ok, so installer arrived yesterday at 12:30pm, told him what i was hoping for and he did exactly that.

He used everthing but the dish/lnb from my Dish network system, he used the old mount ,pole,and 2 side supports, he used all the DISH cable, he was done outside in 20 mins, and spent 25-30 minutes updating software/showing me Genie features.

I took the receiver and power inserter into the house and connected it all up except power to the inserter while he did the dish.

He was happy and said he never had such a quick install.

Thanks for all your info.

I've updated my start page here from Dish forums to Directv forums :)

So far i like the Genie, speed is comparable to my 722, and some of the gui is better some,a little "busy" looking,but nothing i cant get used to.

And

5 TUNERS ROCK!!!

TERRIBLE ...

IF what you said is true, I would get him back out there right away.

Dish doesn't use the 2" OD mast (unless they have changed recently) so the installer did the adapter for your dish, this is a very BAD idea as over time it will loosen and you will lose your signal.

This is NOT up to code for D* installations for a permanent set up.

Unless I'm not understanding what you were saying in Post 15.

TERRIBLE ...

IF what you said is true, I would get him back out there right away.

Dish doesn't use the 2" OD mast (unless they have changed recently) so the installer did the adapter for your dish, this is a very BAD idea as over time it will loosen and you will lose your signal.

This is NOT up to code for D* installations for a permanent set up.

Unless I'm not understanding what you were saying in Post 15.

Some of the Dish masts are 2" Jimbo. I don't know about this particular one, though. smoeke, do you know what type of Dish dish you had?

i had eastern arc, 1004.1 dish

where would i see this adapter? on the mast ?
i'll look tomorrow

Yes, it would be on the mast, but like you said , you had the Eastern Arc, which is newer, as Chip mentioned ...
You may be fine, DISH never use to use the 2" mast, with the EA set up they may have went to it ... if so, your OK, but I would still check.

I just looked thru the info on the EA dish, but it didn't mention the mast size.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts