Thinking of switching to Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TitaniuIVI

Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Orlando
Hello. I'm thinking of switching to Directv after my cable bill went up again this year, but I have some questions that you guys can hopefully help me out with. I've had cable my entire life, even when I was a kid, so this satellite stuff is new to me. The only thing I'm kinda worried about is rain fade ( I live in Orlando, FL. It rains here almost every day in the spring/summer) so I'm trying to see how I can mitigate it as much as possible.

1. I've seen some multiswitches that have a port for UHF antenna. Do new installs have these so I can hook one up and have at least local channels if the signal goes out?
2. Since Directv has "Directv Everywhere" is it possible to watch live TV through the internet when the signal is out? If so, anyways to get that on a TV instead of a computer?
3. What are the best deals for new subs? I'm thinking of jumping on the Costco or Sams gift cards, but want to make sure that's a good deal.
4. I know during fall they start advertising free NFL Sunday ticket to all new subs, but I haven't seen that deal going on now. Any way to get setup with free Sunday ticket for 2014 season? I'd rather not wait to signup in the fall when they start the deal again, and no way I'm paying $240 for 16 games.
5. Should I sub online, or call in to see if there's any other specials and/or make any special request?
6. Anything i should be looking out for during the install? I know to have the tech make sure my signal is in the 90's.

Sorry for all the questions. The 2 year contract has me a bit skidish. I'd hate to sign up and be stuck with subpar service for 2 years.
Thanks!

First of all the rain fade should be a non-issue. You have been watching too many cable commercials.

Even if the signal went out, you could always watch a DVR event. A matter of fact, you will probably watch all your TV from the DVR, so even if there was rain fade you would never notice.

There are no switches with off-air input anymore due to swm technology. Just run a separate line from your antenna.

As far as the antenna, you can run it into your digital tv, or get an Am21 which is an OTA tuner that integrates everything into your directv receiver.

You can always use directv everywhere to watch vod content online with your computer, tablet, or smart phone.

Oh yea, the 2014 free Sunday ticket offer I think starts in a few days. I think maybe the 9th As far as signing up, go through a local retailer and try to see if any of your friends have directv. Get their account number and do a referal friend so both you and your friend can each get $10 off for 10 months. I wouldn't suggest going online. Costco may seem to have a good offer, but the local retailer will do a better job installing.

Finally, the tech can't activate it unless there is a good signal.

Great! Thanks for all the info. You did make me think of one more question. I will actually be watching most of my TV on DVR. If there is a loss of signal during the original recording, how long does it take for it to be posted on demand, and do all channels do this?

A swm8 switch has a port for ota, and it can be diplexed.

First of all the rain fade should be a non-issue. You have been watching too many cable commercials.

Even if the signal went out, you could always watch a DVR event. A matter of fact, you will probably watch all your TV from the DVR, so even if there was rain fade you would never notice.

got to disagree

a) I get rain fade in central NC... plenty of times. Pretty much the same amt with D* as I got with E*.
b) the HR34 goes ape$hit when it loses signal.. you can't watch DVR material (for more than a few minutes) until you switch to some channel that the tuner can still reach. This strikes me as something D* could easily FIX.. but they have not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)