Thinking of switching to E* Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

banoonish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Fort Payne, AL
I have been thinking about switching to E*. I have a HD tv that I feel I am not getting good use of because of the lack of programing. Please someone tell me if switching from D* to E* will be worth my time. I have a H10-250 DVR. Is the E* VIP 622 as good? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.:confused:

banoonish said:
I have been thinking about switching to E*. I have a HD tv that I feel I am not getting good use of because of the lack of programing. Please someone tell me if switching from D* to E* will be worth my time. I have a H10-250 DVR. Is the E* VIP 622 as good? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.:confused:

I was in the same posotion as you and ended up making the switch. I have no regets and am enjoying the better and higher picture quality programming. The vip622 is a great DVR with much more features than the HR10-250.

The vip is especially better if you can get hd local networks, since you can't record them at all with the current directv hd tivo.

I had the 942 and got the 622 for my in laws. Its a good DVR and the channel choices are great. The only limitation is 1 OTA tuner. But for most folks thats not as important. It was for me so I stayed with D* for the dual OTA tuners since I get all my locals. E* is a very good choice in addition to the current new customer offer.

Brewer4 said:
I had the 942 and got the 622 for my in laws. Its a good DVR and the channel choices are great. The only limitation is 1 OTA tuner. But for most folks thats not as important. It was for me so I stayed with D* for the dual OTA tuners since I get all my locals. E* is a very good choice in addition to the current new customer offer.

The VIP 622 does not have a dual OTA tuner? This could be a deal breaker. I like to record my locals in HD. Does anyone know when Huntsville, AL will have HD on eather D* or E*?

either way e* may have more hd channels but do they have quality programming i say no
there really is no one clear cut winner to hd when you take into effect all of the repeats
voom has a 3 hour program schedule which they been using for years it seems
the most diverse hd offerings i have seen so far are the cable exclusive inhd and inhd2
ive seen bit and pieces ogf the new national geo hd and im not too impressed yet although this channel has the potential to blow discovery hd out of the water
I woyuld hold off and stick with dtv for now
unknown when hd comes to huntsville probably a long while i would guess mobile will go hd before huntsville

THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE COMPANIES IS CUSTOMER SERVICE DTV HAS IT E* DOESNT.

Last edited:
Not trying to start up in flame war crap, but didn't someone reliable post the other day that the new DirecTV HD DVR was coming out in about 30 days/end on July 2006? Or did I mis-read?

I'll see if I can find it; not sure if it was Scott or not, but past him it is generally VERY MUCH rumor and I tend to ignore it. Maybe if he sees this thread he will comment on that, maybe he heard too, because the more I think about it, I don't think it was him in that post.

BrianB said:
I was in the same posotion as you and ended up making the switch. I have no regets and am enjoying the better and higher picture quality programming. The vip622 is a great DVR with much more features than the HR10-250.

Why is it people are trying to compare a brand new peice of equipment 622 with a unit that has been out for several years.(HR-10-250)

My point is that the new stuff would certianly have features that the old one does not, thats called advanceing.

We do not yet have a HR20 to play with, so there is no way to compare the 2 new products.
Comparing an old receiver with a new one is not fair.
I hope people are seeing this, before saying that D* is in the dark ages and I want to switch, based on that type of info.

Jimbo

banoonish said:

I have already expressed my views here if you have not already seen it: (Yes several thought my post(s) should have not been in the DirecTV Thread, but the DISH Thread, but why not?)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=69458

rickaren said:
I have already expressed my views here if you have not already seen it: (Yes several thought my post(s) should have not been in the DirecTV Thread, but the DISH Thread, but why not?)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=69458

I have no problem with your post here, seeing you do have D* as well as DISH you have opinions in both areas. ( I think you were the one I was talking with in a previous thread)

I was posting this info, so that the original poster was aware of it.
The fact of new equipment vs old equipment , if it ware me, I'd want to know if I was comparing apples to apples or not.

Jimbo

Considering the quote "Thanks for your quick replay. That is what I was wanting to hear." it seems the OP's mind was made up prior to the post.

charper1 said:
Considering the quote "Thanks for your quick replay. That is what I was wanting to hear." it seems the OP's mind was made up prior to the post.

After I posted those words I was afraid that people might think that but I have not made up my mind yet. :eek: All I met was I wanted to hear other points of views from people that have switched. I should have thought more about my reply before I fired my reply back.:) Thanks for all that have given your oppion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.