Thinking Of Switching To E*, Need Advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
As the the thread title says, I'm debating switching to E* but obviously I want to get some input from everyone. I'm interested in E* because I'm a movie buff and they have more movie channels and it looks like D* may not add more until D12 goes up and is live. I also greatly prefer the 722 to D's HR21. However, I think Directv's PQ is slightly better and I'd like to avoid the hassle of tearing the dish's down, sending the boxes back, doing an all new install, etc. So here's my biggest question. Does it seem likely that Directv will hold off on adding more movie channels until D12 is launched and live, or will they be here soon? This will be the number 1 deciding factor to me. Thanks, guys!

I was Dish prevouisly to D*. I prefer D*. Yes at the moment Dish has a few more channels but I sure that will change with D12. Do you watch the movies in HD? When it comes to the major network(Starz, HBO & Showtime) it is a wash on who has more. D* has the Showtime line up covered and Dish has HBO covered.

The question you need to ask yourself is about 6-9 months of moving to a new provider worth it.

I agree with Big Dawg, I would stay with Direct as I am leaving Dish today for my D* install. E* has the HBO and Max channels down, but you know that D* won't sit back on their laurels for long. Wait it out and stay with the better overall provider, Dish bites and it seems that they are sinking fast. Charlie waited to late to make changes and HD additions, so I am swimming to shore with Direct, Hope this helps.

I agree with Big Dawg, I would stay with Direct as I am leaving Dish today for my D* install. E* has the HBO and Max channels down, but you know that D* won't sit back on their laurels for long. Wait it out and stay with the better overall provider, Dish bites and it seems that they are sinking fast. Charlie waited to late to make changes and HD additions, so I am swimming to shore with Direct, Hope this helps.

The great thing is you have a choice. I think that E has far superior hardware than D*. I just can't believe how slow and non-responsive the D* HD receiver is and E* with the new 922 and 722K receivers show more superiority. But Iwas tempted to switch with the new mlb network and the Fox channels but it just wasn't enough to offset the bad receivers of D*. The premium offerings by E* is also better and also enjoy the Travel Channel, WGN, Lifetime and Lifetime Movies. The rainbow channels D* carries show very little HD. D* has FX and would really like that channel. D* covers the locals better right now but E* has their new satellite just about ready for new channels (including the raibow channels) and my locals in HD have been announced. E*has a crazy man running this company and does some strange things at times but in conclusion I am a big fan of the receivers and until D* gets something that works as smoothly as my 722 I will take hardware over sports packages. Just my opinion and others may differ ... but that is what this is all about ... having different opinions.

Don't forget that a big reason you switched to Directv was for the Local channels. Dish still does not provide you locals in HD. I know that they have announced that they would but you never know when it is coming until the channel is launched.

If you are a movie buff why not just get Netflix or Blockbuster for you movie provider? I have been given Showtime for free for 9 months but I have yet to watch one movie on it over the past 5 months. I guess it all depends on what type of movies you like to watch.

Don't forget that a big reason you switched to Directv was for the Local channels. Dish still does not provide you locals in HD. I know that they have announced that they would but you never know when it is coming until the channel is launched.

If you are a movie buff why not just get Netflix or Blockbuster for you movie provider? I have been given Showtime for free for 9 months but I have yet to watch one movie on it over the past 5 months. I guess it all depends on what type of movies you like to watch.

IMHO, all the premiums suck. They may have 2,3,5 HD channels, but in the end the cycle the same 10-15 movies,adding an occasional new one every week.

Netflix is a much better value, espcially if you do blu-ray.

As a recent dish customer
Pros
1. 722 and the 722k are greatly superior to the HR2x series. In terms of being function and speed. Also if you use OTA the ota implemation is better on the 722 vs HR2x+AM21

2. Depending on where you live you may qualify for Eastern Arc dish, all channels SD and HD are mpeg and there is a slight PQ inmprovement over there mpeg2 feeds .

3. Currently has my HD premuim movies channels

Cons

1. Fees Fees Fees, 7 dollar HD lease fees per box, 5 dollar dvr fees per box , oh yeah phone line connection fees 5 dollars ( now if your using all the latest recievers that support DishComm you just need to plug one reciever into a router so it can call phone and via dish comm the other recievers can make use of that connection )

2. HD enabling fee if you ever decide too cut back do to bad times well they are going to slap you with an HD enabling fee so you pay a HD fee 7 dollars if you dont subscribe to hd if you have one of there hd boxes. that is on top of the 7 dollar lease fee.

3. The 922 is still way off. Also as neat as it is at this years CES and probably win award most of the features probably will never make it see the 721 thread where I show the press release on the 721 and all the features it was supposed to have ( as shown at ces ) and what they ended up shipping. So if your hoping for uber cool hardware like that dont expect it but the 722/722k are excellent recievers.

4. Thank you for calling India, tech support is pretty much american but billing ( and yes you will probably have billing issues now and again ) are all handle by indians who can barely say Hello my name is tom.

5. After many years you get tired of trying to deal with indians and for every major thing you try to get done you end up writing ceo@dishnetwork.com to have a ceo csr handle your problems.

As someone who had both, other than the 722, I didnt really care for them. I also dont feel the PQ is better, which to me, is one of the most important parts of the service.

D* has plenty of space for some channels now, so dont jump ship over something that could change in 2 months.

It wold take something major in my market like FIOS to peek my interest & even then I would simply run both systems. I've been around D* too long & have established myself to where I get exactly what I want with one phone call. You're building a relationship with these companies, & switching every two years leaves you at the bottom of any CSR issue. Sure, I'd like some of those extra movie channels in HD along with AMC, TCM & Travel channel. I'm surprised D* hasn't brought to production something to compete with the high end E* receivers but like all good things I'm sure it will arrive. In the mean time, I sit tight going on 15+ happy years.

D* is DirecTV
E* is Dish Network
Fios is Verizon's fiber to the house solution
CSR is D*'s (DirecTV) Customer Service Representative
AMC is American Movie Channel
TCM is Turner Classic Movies
Travle channel is sometimes called TC

I breifly researched this as well, and for me I am staying put. Once I got serious about possibly moving I looked at Dish more closely as I have never jumped and for me its a big move (new equipment/Dish and all)

So for me these were the factors that have made me stick with Directv:

On Demand, Direct version is not one to scream about but they have on demand channels and having young kids, it is great to pop on a nick Jr show or something like that

As states earlier: Fees, Fees, Fees, I have two HD TV's with Two DVR's Too many fees added for my liking. When I packaged what I would want the per month the package would COST more then what I am currently paying for

HD Channels: When put side by side there are a few that I would like that Dish has that Directv does not, but there are a few that Direc has that I would want that Dish does not. So HD wise, its almost a wash

Remote Recording: Dont use it alot, but it comes in handy

On line Billing: I love the fact I can add, drop and look and change packages.

DVR: I dont have a problem with mine, would I like the channels to switch faster, sure...But as far as recording and doing what a DVR is supposed to do. No issues here

Best advice I can give, take some time to put the providers together and list whats important to you. I would leave the door open for dish for me, becouse Sunday Ticket for me is not a must as it once was. I will keep stay on top of what Dish is going to do, but for me Directv is a fit, as it has been for the past seven years!

Good Luck!

Honestly, another way to look at it is none of them have everything. They either have the channels you want and crappy equipment, or great equipment and not all the channels you want. The truth is, in major markets, Dish, Directv and comcast/cox/fios are all pretty close. You have to look past the channel count at the fine print.

I think that E has far superior hardware than D*. I just can't believe how slow and non-responsive the D* HD receiver is and E* with the new 922 and 722K receivers show more superiority.
I am a big fan of the receivers and until D* gets something that works as smoothly as my 722 I will take hardware over sports packages. Just my opinion and others may differ ... but that is what this is all about ... having different opinions.

I have a very different opinion. A lot of confusion here. I had Dish, know very well 622 HD DVR receiver, and can tell that D* is on par with it. "Slowness" of D* receiver is mostly caused by a native resolution feature turned ON (BTW you can't get it with E*). If yoy turn it off you will get the same speed as E* has. Then this two TV feature. I never used it anyway, because both my TVs are HD, so I run HDMI cable to one of them and component to another and used this way only one tuner. It worked for me. With D* I decided to take two HD DVRs, now I have four tuners, can record whatever I want, neve have a conflict. And renting 2 D* HD DVR is the same cost as renting one E* HD DVR. With E* renting second DVR will bring another reseiver charge and another DVR charge.

The premium offerings by E* is also better and also enjoy the Travel Channel, WGN, Lifetime and Lifetime Movies.

I like D* HD offerings, don't care about Travel Channel, WGN (only because I have it OTA, 70 miles from Sears tower), Lifetime and Lifetime Movies. I want more all the time (HBO, Cinemax), but I am sure D* is close to that.

I personally think its BS when people claimed superiority of the 722 and inferiority of the HR series. Ive used both, the HR's are just fine.

elwaylite is right...

I'm a recent E* to D* move, and while I loved my 722, the HR series is just fine. Yes, channel changes are a bit slower, and its a bit less responsive than my 722 was, but it works just fine. I wouldn't stay with E* just for their equipment. When it comes down to it, having my locals in HD, and the extra receivers E* wouldn't install without outrageous charges, more than make up for response differences. Plus I really like only have one dish on my roof, as I always had trouble getting 129 on my dish network setup.

elwaylite is right...

I'm a recent E* to D* move, and while I loved my 722, the HR series is just fine. Yes, channel changes are a bit slower, and its a bit less responsive than my 722 was, but it works just fine. I wouldn't stay with E* just for their equipment. When it comes down to it, having my locals in HD, and the extra receivers E* wouldn't install without outrageous charges, more than make up for response differences. Plus I really like only have one dish on my roof, as I always had trouble getting 129 on my dish network setup.

Good statement. Lets face it, even Scott admits D* is run more professionally. I dont walk around every day wondering what kinda crap D* is gonna pull or lie about next. I did with E*, which is sad, because I had them first back in 2003 with a superdish and loved the service.

IMHO, all the premiums suck. They may have 2,3,5 HD channels, but in the end the cycle the same 10-15 movies,adding an occasional new one every week.

Netflix is a much better value, espcially if you do blu-ray.

I'm just left with HBO....I think these premiums are not cost effective but if you have the money to burn.....

Just one of 'em is enough to buy a Netflix subscription.

Sorry

HR2x records shows and handles conflicts fine. But is a far cry from a 722.

Things I cant do with my HR22+AM21 that I could do with my 722

1. Dual live buffers

2. PIP

3. Record 3 HD programs while watching a 4 recorded show (2 via sat + 1 on OTA all at the same time )

4. Watch OTA when there is no sat signal ( though they only time I have no signal is when I working on rewring. Though I only had 2 real bad storms. Though on theother hand in all the years with dish I could count rain fade one hand. (psst I live in the land of hurricanes and bad storms and the lighting capital of the world )

5. When I press the menu button on the remote OMG the menu instantly comes up and everytime I press the various buttons the reciever instantly responds. Unlike the HR2x that I have which it hit menu and it take a sec and half for the menu screen to come up and the when I go to nagivate the menu the the receiver is slow to respond to remote command taking upward ot 3/4 of a second .

And I could go on. Is the 722 and the new 722k perfect hell no but no where the amount of BS that I put up with the HR2x series is just a joke.
I love the Direct TV service really hate the dvrs hence why I went out of my way to get my hands on tivo and utv units. I love my UTV. while only only dealing the the HD-dvr on tvs that are well HDTVs

The HD-DVR from DTV was the biggest disappoint in my switch to DTV, my only regret.

Though owning a vase collection on E* hardware and seeing them at CES first and seeing what happens when said innovations dont come along with the shipping models

Key models come to mind

921/721
7100/7200
JVC DVHS model 5000
ATT media gateway / satellite reciever ( never owned but saw it once amazing features that never showed up )

So there blame on both side but dont try comparing the two recievers as equals and it would like comparing bald tires to new tires and saying that since they are both round and both roll that they are both safe to put on your vechicle. Just because it can record a show with out screwing up does not make it equal to the 722.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)